Black Sparkplug

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plugs will always go black after a while doesnt always mean its running rich,just a normal thing to happen,depending though if its wet yes it is running rich but if its not just a little wet looking but mostly dry its ok,just give it a good scrubbing with a hardwire brush and change it when you do a oil change next and put a quality plug in.and dont worry about checking the gap,in my view a spark plug is either good or its stuffed,its a cheap replaceable item that isnt really worth the 5-10mins to **** around finding the gap with feelers,most mechanics will tell you the same thing i should i know i am a apprentice diesel mechanic.any more problems feel free to pm me mate.

cheers,
rhys.

hey rhysieboyy
you should know about sparkplugs because your an apprenctice diesel mechanic? mate
25 years as a mechanic and i have not seen a diesel with a sprk plug in it yet,dude check the spark plug gap makes a shit load of difference,mate even when you put a new plug in you check the gap,the plug will fit 10 diferent applicatons and each manufacturer will have a different gap setting

hey rhysieboyy
you should know about sparkplugs because your an apprenctice diesel mechanic? mate
25 years as a mechanic and i have not seen a diesel with a sprk plug in it yet,dude check the spark plug gap makes a shit load of difference,mate even when you put a new plug in you check the gap,the plug will fit 10 diferent applicatons and each manufacturer will have a different gap setting

you beat me to it but well spoken mate..

hey rhysieboyy

i work on both petrol and diesel,everyone i work with and all my tafe teachers have said to me its not worth stuffing around checking the gap for something like a spark plug,its only a 4-5$ item,like i said before a spark is a throw away item the time you spend finding and adjusting the gap you coulda just replaced the plug in 1/4 the time.just my oppinion.but by all means if you wanna stuff around for 10mins finding the gap and then adjusting it correctly do it,

i work on both petrol and diesel,everyone i work with and all my tafe teachers have said to me its not worth stuffing around checking the gap for something like a spark plug,its only a 4-5$ item,like i said before a spark is a throw away item the time you spend finding and adjusting the gap you coulda just replaced the plug in 1/4 the time.just my oppinion.but by all means if you wanna stuff around for 10mins finding the gap and then adjusting it correctly do it,

not when you buy a decent spark plug... NGK Iridium's are definitely NOT 4-5$

not when you buy a decent spark plug... NGK Iridium's are definitely NOT 4-5$

i get them at my work for 7bucks lol so i wasnt to far off,but not to many i know run iridiums in there rides on,chainsaws etc etc

i get them at my work for 7bucks lol so i wasnt to far off,but not to many i know run iridiums in there rides on,chainsaws etc etc

you can't quote trade prices to end users mate.. iridium plugs are like $25 retail each.
but last time i bought one, trade cost was $11+gst and freight. but being a trady means you order with other peoples parts.(pass the freight cost on lol)

also not many people specially teenagers carry spare spark plugs with them (even tho they should). so then they have to reply on somehow getting to a minibike shop or repco or even buy another online... time and costs are adding up..

so check the gap just to be sure..

you can't quote trade prices to end users mate.. iridium plugs are like $25 retail each.
but last time i bought one, trade cost was $11+gst and freight. but being a trady means you order with other peoples parts.(pass the freight cost on lol)

also not many people specially teenagers carry spare spark plugs with them (even tho they should). so then they have to reply on somehow getting to a minibike shop or repco or even buy another online... time and costs are adding up..

so check the gap just to be sure..

yer i see where your coming from mate and i agree with you,usually i check over my bike's before i go riding and give my plug a good going over with a wire brush to clean any carbon of it,and to be honest ive never actually seen a 4stroke foul a plug but i know it does happen.and i love gettin parts cheap at work,i always save heaps of money now which gets spent on mods or petrol.

i was allways taught the gap should still be checked in a brand new plug how do you know that it was not dropped by that idiot who works in the parts store

spark plugs usually have a round cardboard tube over the prong end to prevent stuff like that happening,and if it doesnt have that i ask for a different one.

yeah i was taught to check the gap on every plug i install too.. be surprised how many were found to have the wrong gap..

10 mins to adjust a gap...... TAFE these days is going to shit.

Most of today's tradesmen are meer shadows of the old school tradesmen ... the majority of 'em can't add , subtract or multiply in their own head ...

Read what NGK themselves say about gapping plugs ...

Spark Plug Installation Instructions

Latest posts

Back