Build it yourself

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyHeys4

Reaction score
Well i love bikes and i was thinking today...

" Would it be ever possible to build a dirtbike from scratch like Part by Part " ???

Ok now this sounds crazy but it would be a fun hobby. i would be looking to buy parts from america and stuff in my own time.. Ebay has alot of parts from bikes that are being wrecked so would be a good source.. i would probably be looking to build a cr 125 02 depending on what parts are being sold...

I would be buying things in stages so i dont get ahead of myself you know like for example i would start with the very basics like

1. Frame, Swing Arm, Subframe, bolts... etc

2. Forks, Rear Suspension, etc

Right up to the engine and stuff.. and a Manual !!!

Just basically build the bike ground up, i just have always wanted to build something i love, like people build kit cars and model areoplanes so i think its a good thing to do and ill see what you all think

Thanks

Dan

great idea
nothing is impossible
would love to see it when its finish

Have a look at some of the build threads here.

Lots of people have built bikes from scratch on this site, including me:)

logic

Now, are you talking about "building" a bike, or "assembling" one from a bunch of compatible donors? Putting an '02 CR125 together from a hundred different bikes is only tougher than taking a complete one 100% apart, sticking every thing in a big mixing bowl and putting it back together because you have to be sure to source EVERY piece.

Not to piss on your parade, but it's not really "building" any thing and the efforts will be rewarded by ending up with an expensive obsolete dirtbike.

Even 99% of the pitbike ground-up "builds" are amassing a bunch of parts designed to fit together and having the ability to assemble them in a bike-shaped arrangement.

yeah, i would have to agree... building a china bike is a no brainer but a jap bike, that would just throw the budget way out and not to mention the headaches of finding every last little bit...

02 cr125's are cheap... look around and you'll find one in the $1500-2200 range.
i got one in my shed currently, doing a rebuild for a customer... its actually an 03 tho but he paid $1500 it last year, so add the rebuild cost and it will still owe him under market value..

Thanks for the reply`s guys very helpfull !!!!

Erm ill be building the bike with hopefully the same parts just honda nothing else.. it all really matters what i find really because some of the parts will be a pain to find.. hopefully i can get every part the same year or ill just ask you all anyway if it could fit or ill search the net . But Yeah ill be starting this project very soon and i will post photo`s on here to show you how it looks and what ill be buying anyway thanks for all your time and have a great day :D !!!!

Dan

Take it from someone who has done it many times(cars and bikes)
, it aint worth the bother. 99% of the time it is ALOT cheaper to buy a nice complete bike instead of buying every piece individually, thats why wreckers make money and are able to pay their mortgages , plus you dont have to chase up every single nut bolts screw washer etc. Trust me, every time i do it my budget gets blown out to double because of the little bits and pieces you dont allow for thta add up to a big chunk of cash

Latest posts

Back