Can i run this fuel?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-kx85

Reaction score
Hi all got another question, Wanted to know if you can run premium 98 or 95 octane also can you use shell v power in your pit bike. Also during break in do you recommend using 91 or what. also should I change the oil straight away even before running it or break it in then change. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Richard

98 is better.. however depending on the motor 95 is fine.
with high comp pistons etc no you will need 98
Change the oil straight away the new engine oil is pretty ****ty.. then again after say.. 5 hrs.. maybe less and then all the break in crap should be free

I dont even use 91 in my whipper snipper. 98 all the way

I dont even use 91 in my whipper snipper. 98 all the way

Me either, my partner looks at me like I'm crazy every time we got to the petrol station and I hunt out the 98..... He would use e10 in everything if possible.....

98 in a whipper snipper or lawn mower is actually really bad for them. Too high an octane in such a small engine. It will dramatically decrease the life of them. 91 is more than enough.

I also think 98 itself is overrated in dirt bikes. I have been told of a lot of engine failures due to some of the 98 fuels containing engine cleaning additives designed for cars and not agreeing with bikes at all.

Personally I can't tell the difference between 98 and 95 in the bikes except the price tag. Definitely worth running 95 in the bikes as I can tell the difference between that and 91.

Each to there own though.

Whipper snippers are what $120 bucks, I've owned 2 in my entire life, I even used to run av gas in one, cause I had some at the time hahah. That whipper snipper lasted 15 years. Same with my 4 stroke mower that lasted 10 years. The only downside is it goes stale quicker, but who cares, my whipper snipper doesnt know the difference, nor does the wifes car which gets my left over fuel from the bike.

Yes Shell optimax is a no go, BP is good stuff.

^^^^def spending money on good fuel when u pay that much for a whipper snipper..... It's now 8 years old and hasn't skipped a beat.... Starts first pull every time!

what oil do you guys suggest i use?
There are several threads about this, but....

Castrol Activ 4T Motorcycle Oil is quite a good oil that isn't expensive either. I will be throwing it in my new bike when it arrives.
Make sure the oil you get is specifically for motorcycles (as the oil protects the clutch and prevents it from slipping as well - it has several additives other oils may not have).

Edit: More info, thanks zwebx :D.

Last edited:
There are several threads about this, but....

Castrol Activ 4T Motorcycle Oil is quite a good oil that isn't expensive either. I will be throwing it in my new bike when it arrives.
Make sure the oil you get is specifically for motorcycles (as the oil protects the clutch as well - it has several additives other oils may not have).
Not only protects the clutch, makes it work.. If normal car oil is used then the clutch will slip and the oil and the clutch will cook.
Just buy whatevers cheapest and motorcycle oil between or is 15w-40w id prefer to buy the cheap stuff and replace it more often than use royal purple (not worth it on these bikes) and run it for longer.

i haven't had any problems running cheap motor oil in mine, it's been running Castrol GTX for about 2 years now.
it has had 3 oil changes all up, but i don't ride it that much.

but i will be using Penrite 15w50 Semi Synthetic with my good engine when it goes in

MC-4-10W50-354x320.png

Don't think that Penrite has clutch additives like the castrol dude.

Will check at work in the morning.

i already have it
it's got all the good additives and flavorings ↓

Description
MC-4ST 10W-50 is a premium semi synthetic, SAE 10W-40, non friction modified, modern, 4 stroke engine oil. It contains a superior anti wear and cleansing package of FULL ZINC (exceeding 1200+ ppm) for ultimate engine, gearbox & clutch protection and special cleaning detergents and dispersants for protection in the harshest of on and off road conditions. It exceeds the requirements of API CH-4/SL and JASO MA.

Application
MC-4ST 10W-50 is designed for use in four stroke road & sports bikes, dirt & enduro bikes, ATV's/Quad bikes and scooters scooters. It is also equally suitable for use in transmissions with wet clutch systems where engine & gearbox oils are combined. It has optimum clutch slip prevention in these systems and exceeds JASO MA requirements.

MC-4ST 10W-50 can be used where semi synthetic or other types of oils are specified by the manufacturer including where SAE 10W-40 & SAE 15W-40 grade oils are recommended such as in Aprilia, BMW, Cagiva, Can-Am, Ducati, Hyosung, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph, Yamaha and more.

MC-4ST 10W-50 is also suitable for use in other four stroke engines such as stationary engines & generators or other vehicles that require this grade and specification of engine oil and can be used with petrol, racing & other conventional fuels.

Product Benefits
FULL ZINC anti-wear additive package for ultimate engine wear protection
MAXIMUM power and acceleration
SHEAR STABLE for long term protection
GREATER high temperature engine protection over 10W-40 grade oils
FACTORY PROVEN by competition race teams
Trusted protection for performance engines
Suitable for use with wet clutch systems (JASO MA)
Extends engine life by reducing formation of high temperature engine deposits
Industry Specifications
API CH-4/SL
JASO MA

Latest posts

Back