Carby Leaking

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellrazor

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Havnt Ridden the bike in a while and went for a quick squirt this arvo and my carby seems to to dripping profusely from the runoff on the bottom left of this picture.
Bike still runs fine, but just dripping fuel everywhere.

Also, every bearing i put in the back wheel seems to get smashed whenever i ride it - i reckon i have done three bearings in the last three rides. Doesnt make any sense.
Got some heavy duty bearings from the bearing shop here and turned the seals around so hopefully that fixes the problem ( i think water has been getting in there and just blowing the bearings up )

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey there.Looks like a revolution your riding?? I would say your floats are stuck in the carbie bowl. While the bike is running tap the bowl with the back of a screw driver. might loosen them up. If not you will have to take the bowl off and clean the carbie out.
As for the wheel bearings you have to grease them up and that means if they are the ones with the black rubber seal on them pull the seal out and grease inside the bearing aswell. I would say your smashing them because your over tightening your axle and putting to much pressure on the bearing.
Hope this all helps

Nice work mate - Thanks for the help. I will give all that a crack and see how i go!

Also - What about aligning my back wheel properly - i completely suck at it and that may also have something to do with why i keep smashing them.

I got rid of the black ones and the ones from my bearing shop have red seals on em.

If they have a seal that can be removed easy I would remove it and pack more grease in there and put it all over your axle to. try doing your axle up without swinging off the spanners. Just nip them up.
As for your wheel not been straight you should have marks on your swing arm near the tensioner to line them up with. If not you can get it close by eye. If its to far out your chain should give you trouble before your bearings do.
Make sure your not having your chain to too tight. remember it tightens up with your weight on it and tightens even further when you hit a jump.

Sweet.
Yeah Thanks mate
Alot of people say not to trust the notchers on the swingarm are dodgy!

Cheers mate

It can be difficult to get the line right. Sometimes you get it just right and as you tighten the axle it throws it way off again.

Trust your eyes though. If you need to put some pressure on the wheel to keep it aligned whilst tightening just go ahead and do it.

I agree with DHZ on the carby issue. I have had repeated problems with this on a particular carby and it will be fine for a while and then get stuck again. Sometimes riding over some rough surfaces or jumping can get it working again. If it doesnt, at least you had some fun.

logic

Rightyo boys -
Got the back wheel right - going strong, except i just came back from an arvo riding and had to tighten it up.

As for the carby, i pulled it off and cleaned it up, but i couldn't get the top and bottoms halves to separate ( the phillips head screws are on REALLY tight. So i put it back on, and no luck, still doing the same sh!t. So sounds as though i have to get it fully apart and sort it out.

The screws on the OKO carbies are a real bugger. You have to use a screw driver that is of a decent size and one that fits in the head of the screw perfect. Maybe give the screws a bit of a whack 1st might loosen them up.
You will need to put some lock tight on your axle nut or get a new nylock nut for it.

Thanks DHZ - your a legend.
Once i've got it off - what do i need to do to me carby?

Cheers

And i know it's a full on noob question! But ill only ask once.
Just got me carby apart - now what do i need to do?
Cheers

The black floats are more than likely stuck down and not floating up to stop the fuel flow. I would so the old fuel in the bowl has dried out and gummed it all up. When you get the bowl off just make sure the floats move freely up and down. You will find just taking the bowl off will be enough to free them up.

Rightyo - very nice. Thanks mate.
Ill give that a go and hopefully it stops it! Cheers mate.

Right. So - got up here for the weekend to go for a ride. Carby is still leaking. Floats in the carby are moving freely but fuel is still coming out of the overflow - i have no idea whats going on! please help!

take the float bowl off again and check the brass tube running from the bottom of the bowl, i have seen these crack .
failing that the float valve is ef'ed, have to replace it..

if you want to check it out connect the fuel hose back up with the bowl off and lift and lower your float to see whats going on..
the carb will have to be in an up right position still..

nope- no dice
I'm about to throw it out - im bloody over it

I notice just before the video ends the fuel stops leaking. Does it leak longer than what the video shows or is that it?
I'm guessing the floats are adjusted to high and overflowing fuel until the engine uses a bit of it and then it stops leaking.

Latest posts

Back