CDI Wiring 125CC - Takegawa Hyper CDI

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xerionx

Reaction score
Hello all, I have an Atomik 125cc Avenger that has a Ducar engine.

The stock CDI had a rather weird wiring harness for its connection to the CDI.
It had a 3 plug ( only 2 wires though ( Red + Black Stripe, and a Black + White Stripe)
And a 4 plug ( only 3 wires though ( Blue + White Stripe, Yellow + Black Stripe, and a Solid Black)

The Takegawa Hyper CDI had the following:
2 Plug ( 2 wires (Black with Red Stripe, Black with White Stripe)
4 Plug ( 3 wires (Blue with Yellow Stripe, Green with Black Stripe, Black with Yellow Stripe)

Now obviously here we can tell that the stock hardness with its 3 plug isnt going to fit onto the TakeGawa Hyper CDIs 2 plug socket.
And I also had the issue of the 4 plug from the stock harness not matching the 4 plug on the TakeGawa CDI socket.

So I went to the local hardware store and bought one of those 6 wire Sockets and Connectors made for Car looms.

I could easily match the 2 plug, Stock: Red+BlackStripe to Hyper:Black+RedStripe and the Stock: Black+WhiteStripe to Hyper: Black+WhiteStripe.

Now I was pretty confident with those matchings for the 2 plug. Heres where I ran into problems.

As you can tell from above, the colors of the Stocks 3 plug and the Hyper's 3 plug were different, only 1 wire had the same color's(Yellow+BlackStripe). However, I tried my best at matching them this is how I wired it:

Stock: ________________________TakeGawa:
Yellow+Black Stripe________________Green + Black Stripe
Blue+White Stripe _________________Blue+Yellow Stripe
Solid Black________________________Black + Yellow Stripe

After wiring it up this way, I decided to test the bike, and it started first kick and immediately I could here the higher rev's, the better throttle responce ect.

However there is one thing I would like to clear up with someone who knows what they are talking about. How I have it wired now works, IF I had one of the wires WRONG would the bike still run. In otherwords what im trying to say, if the bike runs, have I got it wired 100%. or could I possibly have something wrong.

I notice that there is a Yellow+Black Stripe and on the otherside a Black+Yellow Stripe that I thought perhaps should be connected, but I tried an it wouldnt start.

If someone could just clear up if its wired correctly that would be great.

Thanks heaps, regards Josh

Last edited:
Picturues of Process

Here is a few photos.

Attachments

• WorkingOuttheWiring.jpg
    WorkingOuttheWiring.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 105
  • NewConnectorInstalled.jpg
    NewConnectorInstalled.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 75
  • NewConnectorInstalled_2.jpg
    NewConnectorInstalled_2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 68
  • HyperCDIConnector.jpg
    HyperCDIConnector.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 81
  • StockCDI.jpg
    StockCDI.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 77
More photos.

Here is a few more photos...

Attachments

• StockLoomConnections.jpg
    StockLoomConnections.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 61
  • MyBike_1.jpg
    MyBike_1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 44
  • MyBike_2.jpg
    MyBike_2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 35
i would say that if it runs let it be...my cdi has 3 wires in and 2 out, 5 wires total.

Input Wires are:

1.Common - (Ground)

2.Positive

3.Capacitor Discharge Sensor Wire

Output Wires:

Common - (Ground)

Coil +

hmm

hmm..... Yea. I just like to make sure that its all wired correctly before I let this one rest. Id hate it if a wire was wrong and was causing engine damage.

Basicly I just need to know if every wire is neccessary, meaning if any 1 wire isnt joined to the right wire will it still run.

the only engine damage that would occur would be miss firing and it could bend a valve due to the fuel explodes wen the inlet/exhaust valve is open...if it runs properly no damage will occur.

??

I just took it for a ride on my front lawn, and it seems to be running quite nicely. Does this suggest that the wiring is perfectly fine.

What are the signs of a misfire?

you have it wright cause if you dont have the wires right it wont even start iv had this problen befor when me rear shock snaped and went through the seat and riped all the wirers out of my cdi and just had to gess the bike would only run if it was conected up 1 way and its still goen strong

How come you got this CDI for a stock motor? Do you plan to do some work to it? As it won't be beneficial over stock CDI

What do you suggest?

How come you got this CDI for a stock motor? Do you plan to do some work to it? As it won't be beneficial over stock CDI

I am just getting into doing up a bike, this was my first step really.

I now have this CDI, NGK "R" spark plug, Sports Air Filter

What other performance upgrades could you suggest as I would really appreciate the input.

Hey Xerionx,

I think manmy of us are in the same boat, being new to modding these things. i've got an Atomik I'm about to put that same CDI on. Also bought a 1/4 turn throttle, tall seat and some stickers (they add 3hp - everyone knows that).

I noticed you have an hour meter (i assume, maybe it is a speedo) on your bars. i am after one myself, but wasnt sure what was suitable. Where did you find yours?

Hey Xerionx,

I think manmy of us are in the same boat, being new to modding these things. i've got an Atomik I'm about to put that same CDI on. Also bought a 1/4 turn throttle, tall seat and some stickers (they add 3hp - everyone knows that).

I noticed you have an hour meter (i assume, maybe it is a speedo) on your bars. i am after one myself, but wasnt sure what was suitable. Where did you find yours?

Wow, i just noticed how old this thread is.......

Wow, i just noticed how old this thread is.......

lol. thats funny..

try fleebay and search for 'hour meter' it will run off the spark plug/ignition coil.... basically when the motor is running and generating electricity... its getting a signal, making the hours tick over.. should be upto about $100 iirc..

Latest posts

Back