Chain Breaking How do YOU do it?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logicquests

If in doubt......Get the grinder out!!
Reaction score
I have been looking at all sorts of chain breakers.

I actually bought a chain breaker that decided it wanted to be an orange instead and not follow in its fathers footsteps and break chains. Useless piece of crap.

After speaking to many members over the past week, I have found that some swear by the chain breaking tool and others take a more organic approach and use a variety o different tools including my favourite the grinder.

If you have a sworn by method or tool to complete the chain breaking task, please share with us and offer a link to any tools you have.

logic

weird_thread.gif

before i had a motorbike i used to break the chains on bmx's and that by getting a small centre punch and just tapping it with a hammer
edit: thats on the round thing on each link

i use a 40 year old chain breaker called king d**k dont wanna stuff the pin so i grind of the head of the chain first the use the tool

if you have a decent chain breaker much easier

but im sure you have already sussed out the chain it self, so you have probably noticed how both ends of the pins have been flattened on a angle if i remember rightly

so the easiest way without a chain breaker is to grind one of the sides flat to the link

the hardest part is getting the pin out sometimes they slide out nice and easily but most times they stick and take a good whack with a hammer and nail punch, becareful not to bend your chain in the process of this, you may find it easier to create some sort of jig to help

Bench grinder take the heads off the pean'd links then knock it out with a flatty or colchisel... Oldschool don't waist your money if not needed

Angle Grinder, MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

logic

Only problem with this is, brand new chain = covered in metal fillings... May not do much good!

However my chains don't seem to last regardless so meh

This bad girl in my hand with a shifter on the nut and works a charm , quick and easy .

If your gonna be around bikes ya hole life it would be a good investment .

I have done so many damn chains with this thing .

Chainbreaker2.jpg

My chain breaker cost me $15 in a bike shop some years ago (best luck ever)... It pushes pins through fine on anything up to 428 chains. Anything bigger gets the grinder treatment first; now all I need is a new one that will rivet links too ;)

As Woggy said, if you're planning on working on bikes a lot they are well worth having around, just don't expect them to be indestructible :)

My recomendation is grinder, then finish her off with a hole punch and a few slams.

Always works and free apart from the electricity!!

Carlton

Don't use a grinding disk u will just **** the other links . Use a linishing disk . Then hole punch it

Anyone that has posted to grind, puch, chew, hit, throw etc etc has either never owned or never used one, or does not know how to correctly use one.

Mine cost me less than $15.00AUD delivered, it come with spare pins and is the easyiest thing to use EVER. Simply line the pin in the chain up with the pin on the breaker. 12mm spanner, wind untill they meet and LITERALLY 4 full turns and the pin falls out. No effort required.

WHY would you bother grinding and pin punching when its so simple?

LQ, the amount of time we have discussed this and ive listend to you whinge about it over and over, you could have bought one, used it and had it (chain in question) on and riding by now.

owned.gif

sorry wayne...

i use both grinder and chain breaker, just depends what is closer lol... if the chain breaker is in my bike tool box in the car then out comes the grinder.

i find either way just a fast as i have been doing the grinder way since i was on push bikes (early 80's)

i mark the link that has to come off then put the excess chain in the vice and grind thru the pin and link, then bend the chain and it all separates.. no need for a punch or anything.

takes me longer to plug the grinder in than it does to grind the chain link..

All this talk of grinders is getting me rather excited.

I should probably go and have a cold shower.

I shall grind the chain in the morning as I am going to DHZ to get a new kill switch for Chang:)

Tomorrow. Chang will ride again.

logic

Only problem with this is, brand new chain = covered in metal fillings... May not do much good!

However my chains don't seem to last regardless so meh

I just use the grinder, but i wrap the section of the chain to be used in cling wrap, stops the filings sticking to your new chain. While i know a breaker is easy to use, its only 30 secs work to do it with the grinder, and like LQ, the old grinder is my favourite tool

um well most chains have master links. on your bmx bike, just losen the rear wheel and pop the chain off. to put back on put the chain on a couple teeth and rotate until the chain hops back on. otherwise they sell traditional chain breakers, not the prettiest way to take off a chain, but its worth putting a master link in after you break it

um well most chains have master links. on your bmx bike, just losen the rear wheel and pop the chain off. to put back on put the chain on a couple teeth and rotate until the chain hops back on. otherwise they sell traditional chain breakers, not the prettiest way to take off a chain, but its worth putting a master link in after you break it

You might notice the topic is about "breaking" a chain, not pulling the back wheel off your BMX. We're all aware of how chains can be joined, ie clip type links, screw type, staked links etc... This is about breaking them.

On that note, there's no way in hell I'm putting a clip type link on my road bike... at 200kph I don't intend to wear a chain up the back of my leg :p

Latest posts

Back