China hi rev cdi (the Blue colour one's)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unit_mx

Reaction score
Ebay race CDI -Rev box

WHAT: Ebay 'high performance' CDI -Rev box
COST: between $20-35 (not including postage)
WHERE: Ebay etc

Most guys on here are always looking for some more grunt out of there donk and the usual scroll around Ebay sends them into a world of 'highly variable Chinga parts' ,all opting to squeez out some extra mumbo. A quick search and you'll find a little blue box called a 'Race CDI' designed to extract the ponies out of your mini missle. Regardless of orginality of many companies out there such as Trail bikes ,Kitaco etc offering aftermarket CDI's for 50s this little box that simply connects up to your rev box harness claims to "blow your mates away" by BiggerBoyzToyz standard by increaing the rev limit and improving throttle response.I slapped one of these Ebay rev box's for 10 hours worth of riding to see what all the business is about

Bike status:140cc lifan ,pd24mm carb preety standard
Rider status: 65kgs worth of lard
Riding status: Play riding ,Racing around natural motocross track ,Tight bmx style trails (jumps duh)

WHAT I LIKED

Fit: The 5 pin rev box I bought couldn't be any easier to fit ,simply just unplug your old stock rev box and plug'up the new one. You do not need to remove the seat or plastics to fit the rev box and with a few cable ties zipped around your subframe the box sits perfectly.However the pre-exsisting rubber harness will NOT fit the rev box due to size.

Looks: The rev box looks the part adding a bit more 'Blingage' to your riding complete with a Dyno report on the side of the rev box and a nice anondised shade of blue

Performance:
The rev box gave noticable throttle response with a smoother crisp wip of power.The shift in power curve in the mid range was noticible however mild however the box seemed most effective in 1st and 2nd gear with the most noticible gain in mid range 2nd.I found the bike to rev alot harder and found the shift in power allowed me to hit tighter jumps without reving the guts out of the thing

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

The B.S factor: Sellers on ebay tend to hype things beyond belief and the statement: 'blow your mates away' by numerous ebay sellers was a bit farfetched to say the least considering the crazy increase in power was in reality a mild shift of the power curve.

Mounting: While fitting the rev box couldnt be easier the stock rubber CDI harness could not accomidate the bulkiness of the rev box having to reposition the rev box onto the subframe where it is suseptible to damage from the shock especially from bikes with hoop style swingarms.Mounting it to subframe requires a bit of electrical tape wrapped around the exposed wires to keep the from stray aswell as wrapping some electrical tape around the subframe to stop the anondising on the rev box from rubbing off

Choice: Or there for lack off , the rev box comes in one colour , one style and one fit. Riders don't have the option to buy a rev box that has different styles of changes in the power curve neither can they choose the colour of the box to match there bike providing that the box fits there bike model.Sorry ducar electric leg owners the 5 pin set up will not fit your bike while most guys run kickstart ducar and lifan motors the box caters for the majority of us providing your not phased by the colour blue.

VERDICT:
For under $40 this little blue box can spice up any mill however any standards does not give you any significant added power gains but rather enhances what is already there in terms of the engine.Guys who ride tight bmx trails and minicross tracks will find this rev box most benificial and could do wonders if you hook up a decent pipe and carb combo.Adding this Rev box is both a cost effective and performance enhancing mod while it might not 'Blow your mates away' it will still enhance most engines in which the rider will notice a crisper throttle delivery.

Overall rating
6.5/10
Other bits:

-Replace the crappy cable ties that come with the rev box they are low quality and you dont want your CDI to go stray on that landing crunching it into the shock or slapping around on the frame
-Thumbs up for the trick light on it kinda pointless but never the less indicates the engine is on
-Dyno report is most likely fake but who knows the kinda dyno they have over there in China town

EDIT:
8 MONTH TESTING UPDATE:
-Well after runnin this badboy for 8 months I thought it was time to update the post with a long term relationship/ testing evaluation. Since then the Rev box is still reving as new and continues to do its job. The plastic covering on the sticker on the box has ripped off leaving a chalky finish to the "Dyno" report sticker not really a problem but who doesn't like their bike to look perfect. Some anondising has worn off with the face of time but again no real biggy. Another thing I really loved about this rev box is the fact that the bike refused to start a couple days prior to this update and the spark plug was still sparking but I couldn't pin point which part of the electricals had gone. So this is when the light on the rev box comes into its own when you kick the bike over there is a flash of light from the rev box indicating there is still spark aswell as indicating the rev box is still working ( some issues have been had with these kinds of aftermarket rev boxes frying) so you can instantly eliminate those components out of the occasion. All in all after 8 months of abuse and after 2 weeks of hell the rev box is still kicking along.Will continue to keep an update as I run this thing into the ground

Last edited:
sweet! thats a great review! i think we need more of these kind of reviews on miniriders

although im suprised u noticed any change in performance without a chain!

hahahah yer I didnt think it would be too long before someone mentioned that .I really just sat there and rev the guts out of it haha.

lol, yeah
i just saw the thingo about the competition, cant wait to see more of these

WHAT: Ebay 'high performance' CDI -Rev box
COST: between $20-35 (not including postage)
WHERE: Ebay etc

-
-Thumbs up for the trick light on it kinda pointless but never the less indicates the engine is on

what light and where

Funny though, on those CDI's it's deffinatly Japanese writing and not Chinese.

Looks like they tried to copy the CF posh cdi units and put Japanese writing on it to make it look authentic. They look good though

i bought one of theese of "bigboystoys"
the standard rubber harnes was a bitch to get on, but if you use a screw driver carefuly,and alot of patientce, it will go on no worries!
DSC03384.jpg

yer i got one of the copy's on my 140 pitpro they do spice it up a notch ,

I have just won another cdi unit exactly the same from ebay but this one has in big white letters on the back (POSH) $11.00, does this mean it is an original item and do they perform any better , ???
cheers , Rick :D

I just got one to see all the talk

NOW my old harness has green, green, white,yellow,red wires
new one has yellow,green,black,blue,red

how do i hook it up as i have no diagram

yer i got one of the copy's on my 140 pitpro they do spice it up a notch ,

I have just won another cdi unit exactly the same from ebay but this one has in big white letters on the back (POSH) $11.00, does this mean it is an original item and do they perform any better , ???
cheers , Rick :D

Its hard to define copy posh products from the genuine articles.Stick it on the bike take it for a run and compare it to the posh copy and go from there.Would love to here your opinion on the to to give the people of miniriders a broader view on these rev box

You wouldn't have gotten a genuine CF posh unit for $11 i don't think. But where did you get it from?

hey all ,
put the so called posh cdi on and i would say that it went a little better than the china version ,
it seems to rev a bit harder with it on ,,
the posh named unit has no little green light also , ,

i bought it off ebay ,
the sellers name was , ballistikbikes ,,

go into his feedback and you should be able to see exactly what i got ,
cheers , Rick , :)

yeah they are the same unless you have an IRK

hey unit mx, off topic but can you link me to where your green and white plastics are from? Is it 1 kit or 2 mixed together?

thanks

Last edited:
So if i intended to get an IRK in the future wont i be able to use the CDI?

Also with an IRK can i just put it on without changing any carb settings or do you have to change something?

Thanks
Dean

Latest posts

Back