Council says DB limit is 5db! email and discuss*title edited*

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4wdingman

Reaction score
Hey i live in Coffs Harbour and asked the council what the decibel noise limit was for motorbikes on private propety and this is what they said...

Generally motorbikes should not exceed 5 decibels above the background noise. The use of the bikes however would be assessed on the duration to determine whether noise was offensive or not.

What i dont get is the background noise bit, Could someone explain it please!!

LMFAO call unit my freind

background noise is classed as cars and normal everyday noise generated outside the noise generated by ya pushbike :p

atleast thats what the definition is there talking about

:( not fair my bike sounds just like my mates 250f just a tad quiter, stupid big engine and big bore pipe haha

lol.. you cant even mow your lawn.. the wipper snipper is like 90 decibels.

Most of my farts are louder than that! Lucky I havnt been in trouble by the sounds of it.

the way around 'background noise' would be to either
A: turn up the stereo LOUD, then ride your bike
B: Start the mower and let it idle on the footpath while you ride your bike
C: become mates with a Metal Band and hold rehersals at your place each time you want to ride.
D: explain to your neighbour u can hear s3xual moans above 5db, so to be fair your riding your bike so you DONT hear
E: set off ALL the car alarms and house alarms in the street.. this may be best to do in sequence so that when one finishes another starts...
F:run around making 'motorbike sounds(BROOM BROOM for a 4 stroke RING DING DING for two strokes) when the neighbours complain, ask WTF they are talking about, there ARE no bikes.... just like there is no spoon... ;)

G: Ride it in legal spots like tracks or on a DECENT sized property AWAY from complaining neighbours!!

For Christ's sake, can one of the mods fix the spelling in this thread title?
Gives me the sh*ts looking at it. :rolleyes:

close to the funniest thread out, the jokes are going off! haha background noise is lawn mowers and all that jazz. So just ask your neighbours if they would be annoyed with your bike every now and then, they should be fine with it. Also its very unlikely that you would ever get fined for it anyway.

i think that would be 5dB recorded from your neighbours property too.

say the background noise is at like 65 dB when testing from your neighbours property, when you ride your bike the noise should not exceed 70dB.

i'd say thats just a 'rule of thumb' though, i doubt they firmly stick to that

i think they pronounced it wrong...there's meant to be a 90 in front of that 5db!

hey all i email the guy back and asked him if the 5db thing was right and he said

No I'm advising of the level of noise acceptable prior to being deemed offensive. Motor bikes on private property as your question related cannot normally comply,hence the duration period needs to be assessed.
You should contact Council by telephone if you require further explanation.

tell em where they can stick it.
u pretty much do whatever you want on private property.....if its yours lol

haha ive had this problem before used to live in the bush on about 40 acres and we had this f... of a neibour who would sook every time we rode our bikes around and his actions ended up being louder he had air raid sirens and shit like that one day me and some mates rode down to our dam for a swim an here he is on the other side of the fence shouting how do you like it now revving the guts out of a chain saw he also used to walk around fireing a shot gun in the air so we went to the cops about that cause we had it on video and he had his guns and licence taken off him
served him right he also had a sign out the front that had motor bike diturbe the peace and quiet so we riped that out and swaped his sign for one that said
i like motor bikes come ride in my property haha i got done for that tho was well worth it tho the judge kinda laughed at it but still got a 6 month good behaviour bond for tresspassing

Latest posts

Back