crank mounted clutch vs rear mounted clutch

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwerty123

Reaction score
hey guys just a question

what is the difference between a crank mounted clutch and a rear mounted clutch
other that kick in gear capability's what is the difference

is their a performance aspect to it?

im pretty sure the primary gear mounted clutch motor will have better throttle responce because theres not much wait on the crank compared to crank mounted motors.

Weight on the crank is better for lugging loads , hill climbing , trail riding and generally plonking around ... and the motor is harder to stall when the clutch is let out just off idle ...

Less weight on the crank is better for racing thru the gears ... but less weight also doesn't dampen crank flex and harmonic vibrations as well ...

Cars , trucks , earth moving equipment etc all have the clutch or torque converter on the crank ...

Super stock drag racers actually fitted a heavier than stock steel flywheel ... as a result the cars wheelstood off the line instead of bogging ... The inertia of the heavier flywheel also allowed the engine to handle the jump of wide ratio manual gears ...

Crank weight also helps maintain full traction ...

cactus do you think the weight of a lifan ORK vs the old heavy flywheels would have a great effect on torque and stall-ability? I just got a yx160 and was surprised to find it fitted with a heavy flywheel, I wanna put a lifan ORK on just hoping it won't make it harder to ride in the bush?

There's torque and there's flywheel effect ... torque is the sustained force that the piston puts out (the engines ability to increase horsepower under load) and flywheel effect is the force that the spinning flywheel puts out (stored energy created by inertia) ...

You will lose flywheel effect (which some people call torque) with the Lifan ORK ... but nowhere near as much as if you ran an IRK ...

For trail riding , wheel standing and general hooning ... stick with the bigger flywheel ... YX has gone back to the older stock type set up for reliability and rideabilty reasons ... the reason being that the effect of the heavy flywheel inertia keeps the engine pulling below the power curve of the cam ...

IF you cop kick back ... you'll have to do the flywheel tab grinding mod to back the static advance off ... YX's were notorious for it ... I dunno if they've fixed the problem yet or not ... but Australia has a tendency to be dumped with all the problematic old stock that the Yanks have knocked back ...

Last edited:
IF you cop kick back ... you'll have to do the flywheel tab grinding mod to back the static advance off ... YX's were notorious for it ... I dunno if they've fixed the problem yet or not ... but Australia has a tendency to be dumped with all the problematic old stock that the Yanks have knocked back ...

lol I've gone one better, the 160 is out of an atomik. 1p60FMK has the oversize crankcase breather which made fitment very tricky, and I'm sure will not be running the updated centercase. I don't know what other down falls it might have but it was cheap so whatever. not running the update centercase is why I wanted to run the ork, and probably a de-comp cam

'Sounds like Atomic is using the cheaper to buy old stock of YX engines that people in the know won't touch with a barge pole ...

the latest yx160 comes with irk. i change it to a standard fly wheel and it is heaps more ridable and a lot more controlable to race with.

hmmm I dunno about that, most yx160's come with lightweight non adjustable ORK's.... they learn't that IRK's were useless pretty quick.... I'm sure there will be some stock IRK 160's floating about but most definatly not the latest one's

I've got a new 2008 model YX150 that has the big breather and a silver /black IRK ... They were supposed to be fairly reliable ? ... unless anyone knows otherwise ... LOL ... But it's getting a Lifan ORK put on it if I decide to use it ...

the lastest bmw 450 has the clutch mounted on the end of crank , still not proven to be better than std . on a crank mounted clutch the actual clutch can be made lighter , as its not dealing with the extra torque made by the primary drive gears .
but against it must spin faster.
if you want a reliable inner rotor kit get a kitico one .i think there about 250+ bucks.
extra crank weight helps maintain revs under hi loads. dirt bikes spin easily therefore dont need the extra flywheel effect to maintain revs .
traction is created by good suspension and a good rider shifting his/her weight .

do crank mounted and primary mounted clutches use the same springs?
i cant find any information on this.

no.............................not that i have seen.......

use google, youd be surprised at the results youd get

Latest posts

Back