Customising my Orion 125

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my67xr

Miniriders Legend and Master Spanner Spinning Mode
Reaction score
Customising my Orion 125, raising seat height etc, picture heavy

heres my starting pic of my recently aquired orion,
bought for $100, ex farmers bike, you can tell by the look of the repairs that were done, lol
some repairs were-
original handle bars replaced with cut down bmx bars,
broken clutch lever was taped to the bars, and broken clutch cable was clamped with a cable clamp too. it still wouldnt disengage the clutch though,
rusty seized chain, 2x broken teeth from the front sprocket, sprocket retainer broken,
stator cover broken, flywheel pickup snapped off and fixed with knead it,
broken shifter pedal, and has been lengthened (how big were this guys feet?),
broken rh footpeg mount,
petrol tank was wired to the frame to secure it,
seat was tied on with rope at the back and held on the front by packing tape,
exhaust very dinged up, stripped exhaust head stud threads, missing muffler,
front wheel has been replaced at some stage with an alloy one, all spokes are loose as, flat spots in it too
throttle cable stretched an extra 1.5 inches,
frame cracked and dodgily rewelded infront of petrol tank,
kick starter lever missing, kickstart rod has broken off at the splines
was missing the rear brakes, master, pedal, disc, caliper, hose,
plastics missing, other one had some dodgy black enamel painted ones
wheel nut holding the rear swing arm pivot bolt on,
rear shock spring collapsed,
fork tops dented from hammer!,
probably more things too
will add them as i go.

craig
Photo0709.jpg

Last edited:
oh yeah, the guy i bought it from, when i was looking at it, said dont tell me my son was riding a death trap...

you would properly be better off starting from scratch......

actualy the front end might be saveable

you would properly be better off starting from scratch......
actualy the front end might be saveable

lol, cheers
it is easy enough to fix and modify it. i have most of the parts too, any plenty of time

i plan to raise the seat / tank and the front end approx 2 inches (50mm) by removing the rear seat stays and fabricating new ones, new mounts for the tank and modifying the frames' fork downtube, cutting it off and make another that can weld on 2 inches lower. the rear muffler will be remounted up under the rear guard/seat.

i cut the upper seat stays off today and have made up some new top bars for it, seat is now sitting 50mm higher, just need to make some mounts to clip and bolt the seat and tank to, will be welded on in the next day or so. then onto the front end

Photo0711.jpg

Last edited:
Might have to keep in mind thats it only a 125, and to much extra weight may affect its performance?

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out :)

got a few shed hours on that, but should look good when its done.

you from adelaide also i see?

where abouts?

Sneezy

minifighter, the new steel is light enough and has a 1.6mm wall, the old bits were chromed too so heavier than painted steel.
i might weigh them and check it out though.
im 65kg and the atomic went ok with me on it, did 85kmph flat out

sneezy,yeah i got it cheap enough and im a fabricator/customiser for work so it's all pretty easy to do.
i thought the atomic was a bit low to the ground, a bit hard on the knees when you put a foot down around the corners
this one is worth stuff all, so i may as well modify it to suit me better
if it were my IT200L then i would try and keep it pretty much original looking
im from brighton, what area are you in?

craig

more north mate, towards tea tree plaza

look forward to seeing the build up pics mate

thanks mate,

does anyone know what model/year this is?

for interests sake i weight the steel cut off the frame and weighed the replacement part, was 450grams (.45kg) difference, new bits were slightly heavier.

i had a play with the spare head, i couldnt believe the restrictions there
short returns were bad (lower /inner section of the port) and the valve guide bosses were a bit big for my liking too, spent maybe 3 hours on it, just needs a final linish with 180g sandpaper in the runners now

sorry if the pics are too big for dial up users

Photo0712.jpg

Photo0713.jpg

Photo0714.jpg

Photo0715.jpg

Photo0716.jpg

i gave the engine a quick cleanup too, looks much better
now i still need to find a cheap 12" back tyre (used), and a kickshart shaft to repair the broken one
anyone in sa have any bits??

125orion.jpg

rear frame is basically finished/modified now, seat and petrol tank are properly mounted
petrol tank is sitting 4" (100mm) higher and 2" (50mm) further back
i have run a loop off the back to hang the muffler from.
exhaust has been modified too and runs up and under the seat with a centre muffler
i have 10 inches (250mm) clearance between the top of the rear tyre and the lowest part of the muffler
the lowest part of the seat is now 800mm off the ground

Photo0764.jpg

Photo0762.jpg

Photo0763.jpg

lol, nah it's just a cigarette lighter..
the 175HP NOS baseplate system on my xr does though
sit down, shut up and hold on!!! lol

Last edited:
heres a couple of more recent photos
spare original orion handlebars are on, my spare 100mm risers are polished and fitted
old yellow (painted in black enamel, bad job) plastics have been cleaned up and frame have both been painted for the moment,(i had the plastic primer,2 pack gunmetal grey and clear sitting around)
didnt take much work
frame is done in some old grey engine enamel i had
rear frame 50mm lift is finished,
centre exhaust is done, i cut and modified the original, got rid of some sharp bends while i was at it
sits better now and the pipe doesnt hit the frame anywhere, muffler looks better in the centre.
heat wrap has also been used on it below the tank and around the clutch cable too to keep things cool,
front end 45mm lift is done
i cut the frame at the front where the forks /bearings mount and rewelded it back on 50mm lower down the frame, also added some 50mm x 4mm gussets under the frame to strengthen it. the front end now has a bit more rake to it, better clearance from the front wheel to head.
the wheelbase is now 5mm longer to so it should be a bit more stable at speed
bike is basically back together, rolls starts easily
much more comfortable for me to sit on, (my knees are just bent with my weight on the bike)
just need to sort the kickstart shaft (will probably weld another good spline onto the end of the shaft inside the cover).

Photo0786.jpg

Photo0785.jpg

Photo0784.jpg

Last edited:
nice work man... awesome result... i just wish i knew how to make my picture into the comment instead of on add on so i can show you what i did with my orion 125..

note.. my dp and album isnt the finished bike

start a photobucket account, its free
load you pics up
go back to your album, then hover the cursor over the pic and a box opens up below with the link, left click on that and it says copied
then paste the pic to your comment
very easy, if i can do it anyone can

Latest posts

Back