DHZ DPRO 160 Issues

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did check the butterfly valve, and when I think the choke is ON, the valve is fully open.. I thought this was the choke on, as it lets less air in, but then I thought the mixture would require LESS air to create a richer mixture, thus meaning it was the other way, but when I asked my dad, he confirmed my very first theory.

No need for apologies man, everyone here is happy to help - it keeps out brains ticking over! The only reason I even thought that you might be turning it the wrong way was because I did the same thing the other day :D

It sounds like you've already worked it out but just to clarify - when the choke is ON the butterfly valve is CLOSED blocking air from being sucked into the carb thus creating a richer mixture (more fuel than air) :)

So that's sorted that problem out, I guess we won't know until tomorrow when you can give it a good run, but do you think that'll solve all your issues now?

Hey mate, I had this problem once. This is how I fixed it.

If your head is the same as the one in the link below, undo the 10mm bolt you see in the pic. Underneath is a small spring and rod. This is for the decomp mechanism when starting the bike.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6757/0205121702.jpg

The problem with mine was a broken rod under the spring. What the rod does is stop the decomp when the engine fires. With it broken, the engine will fire and run but continue decomping out the exhaust valve, causing major backfiring and even flames out the exhaust.

Anyway, I replaced the rod with one from a spare head I had lying around, and she fired up and ran perfectly.

Take yours out, if there's no step down on the rod it means the end has snapped off and is floating around in your head or engine.

Sorry for the long post. Maybe I've just wasted my time and you have blocked jets. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Kosta.

p.s To get the rod out, try a magnetic pickup tool or screwdriver. Should come out easy.

if your running the 30mm mikuni you might want to remove the silver clip on the choke with the 3 stages of holes and bend it as the choke may move to freely and would cause the choke to come on from high revving and jolting from riding.

Last edited:
Back again :)

Thanks for all your input guys! It's great to be in a community where everyone's so willing to help, and don't give you **** for making mistakes!

I'll give her another run tomorrow, but I'm hoping that the muffler was causing it to backfire and run badly!

It quite possibly could be a broken valve rod, but I'll see how she runs, and check the carby before anything else!

Thanks again guys!
br0die

Alright.

So I took her out, had a ride around and she started to bog down and just died.. then wouldn't kick back over.

I took to the carby and had a look - it appeared that the needle clip was on the very last clip, meaning richer, right?

From what I've read everywhere, in the middle (usually about the second clip) is a good spot for most carbies.

I tried there, she ran for all of 10 seconds, revving REEAALLLYYY high (meaning too lean?) and then died.

I tried moving the clip back up a notch, and now she won't even start.

I'm losing all hope in this bike, and I haven't even gotten a proper ride out of the ****er!

Is there anyone around the ****burn area in Perth that is able to come give me a hand at some stage? I don't know what I'm doing and I seem to be making the problem worse...

Cheers,
br0die

Geez mate, if i was in your area id be straight over but im not, is it still under warranty or was it 2nd hand.

It's straight from DHZ, so I assume it's under warranty, it's just the death of having it shipped to Sydney :/

But it looks like in the long run it may work out cheaper!
It's just a big downer to get all hyped up waiting on the bike, only to have it not perform when you get it :/

Yeah man im hearing you but its more of a pain if its out of warranty, chin up, its starting to sounds like there could be a failure of something internally as in it runs and then comes to a stop, even the pinched crank breather hose wouldnt stop it from running really, id get on the phone and ask to speak to ken, explain everything calmly and tell him your dissapointed and just want to ride, maybe all that happens is the donk gets sent back and ask if a replacement engine is better due to the distance involved and you dont want to take a chance on needing to resend it back again if it plays up, whats your thoughts??

Yeh, I think that's what I'll have to do!

Well, hopefully he's happy to help!

Thanks for the input man, much appreciated!

From what i hear he is very reasonable, your unhappy and no decent business owner wants an unhappy customer, every now and then you get a brumby or a faulty product of some description, keep us posted mate, im interested in hearing about how you go.

Hey mate,

I could, but I don't have a camera at the moment so it'd be crappy quality iPhone video.
There's no a heck of a lot to video though, as it doesn't even want to start anymore!

I think I'm just going to give Ken a call tomorrow afternoon and see what I can sort out before I go any further. I just wanna ride!

Alright, just a quick update!

As you said XR8, I spoke with Casey.
He said it could be alot of different things, which is obvious, and the options we have are him sending me parts (carbs etc) to test with, or I can take it to my local DHZ Dealer, who he's going to speak to and inform of me coming in.

Obviously I chose to take it to my dealer as it's going to be a lot easier than me screwing about and not knowing what I'm doing!

So a big thanks to Kasey, and I'll let you guys know what happens after the store!

Don't be disheartened man, all bikes need some time being setup/tuned properly before you get to enjoy them. It's a bit harder when you haven't done it before but that's all part of the learning process.

If I were you I'd almost be tempted to pull the carby out, clean everything, put it all back together and reset all your settings and start from scratch (i.e. air/fuel screw 2.5turn out, clip in the middle of the needle, etc) do a bunch of research on how to tune it, put in a clean spark plug and then go from there.

Anyway if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask, let us know how it goes :)

I agree with twisties. Don't let it turn you off. Once you learn a bit it all becomes alot of fun. Keep in mind when in doubt about pulling something apart. You wont learn from some one elses mistakes.

Yeah, I figured there'd be a bit of tuning and what-not involved with the engine being run in and requiring regular maintenance, it's just a bit disappointing when you can't even get 10 minutes out of it before you experience issues!

I'm definitely keen on the sport as a whole though, so nothing will turn me off it!

Also, I did strip the carby and reset the e-clip to the middle position, but it still didn't seem to make any difference. The only thing I haven't done is stripped the carby COMPLETELY and checked the jets. I guess it's worth a shot, but I just lost the motivation to pull the carby off again, so didn't even bother.

I'll wait and see how things go at the shop - hopefully all goes well!
It won't be until next weekend, though, so I'll let you lads know how it turns out! :)

Once again, thank you guys for your awesome support, encouragement, and most of all, patience!

It truly is appreciated, and shows the passion you have for the sport and helping it grow!

Definitely check the jets before taking it to the shop! Just incase you can save some dough. My stock '30mm' fakuni (actually 26mm) on my 140 came with ridiculous jet sizes and ran like sh#@. Got it running right with a 36 pilot and 96 main (maybe 36 and a 102 for your bike? don't quote me on that) but ended up buying a oko.. problem solved. Oh and since your in perth, if it is the jets (?), you can get them from rick gill, really friendly guys, just dont tell them you have a mini :)
hope you get it sorted soon!

Cheers for the input mate!

I'm going to take it to the shop anyway, as they'll be able to help me sort out any issues with the jets anyway. I'd rather know for sure, based on an expert's opinion who has witnessed the bike.

I'm also looking at upgrading the carby anyway to one of these kits:, just didn't want to jump the gun! One problem at a time:
OKO 26MM FlatSlide Carby Kit

Does anyone have any input on that?

Latest posts

Back