doing head, 54mm zongshen

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

china boy788

Reaction score
hey,
ok so i want to do some head work on the zongshen to get some more kick into it,
so i was thinking cam, valve springs, and a mild port job and new valves

i was thinking of a g2 cam, hd springs and valves from akunar,

what i was wanting to know, is that has any one done work and/or to this type of motor, is it a BVH??? so that 23/27 valves ??

as i will most likey doing the work my self, any thing important i should know?
and are these steps right?

to remove cam,
remove head,
remove rocker pins,
undo the locking nut <<< same nut as when seting valve clearances????
remove rockers
cam should just slide out???
and when puting back together do the same way, after doing springs??

to remove springs,,
is it as simple as puting the spring clamp over the springs, clamping it and then removeing?

and i dont know how to remove valves,, any one wanna help??

just read this
http://www.miniriders.com.au/motor-...10mm-14mm-sockets-n-ratchet-10mm-spanner.html

dont get the bit about the springs
to remove
you clamp up and with magnetic tip screwdriver you remove retainers

and to put back together, you do the same thing, but other way round??

mite jst be the fact i dont know what retainers are,,,,ill look them up now tho

srry if asking alot, first time doing and i wanna learn this

YouTube - 16750 Valve Spring Compressor
are the thing he removes the retainers???

watching more youtube stuff, valves just droped out after the spring is removed?? that the case with these motors??

Last edited:
once you remove the springs the valves will pull straight out...

as for...is it a BFH... you would have to measure them...iv seen then is all sorts of configurations...

do yourself a favor and buy some vernier calipers to measure valves and things...

the retainers are the round washer looking things on top of the valve springs...in the center of those are collet's or sometimes called valve locks..

just read this
http://www.miniriders.com.au/motor-...10mm-14mm-sockets-n-ratchet-10mm-spanner.html

dont get the bit about the springs
to remove
you clamp up and with magnetic tip screwdriver you remove retainers

and to put back together, you do the same thing, but other way round??

mite jst be the fact i dont know what retainers are,,,,ill look them up now tho

srry if asking alot, first time doing and i wanna learn this

YouTube - 16750 Valve Spring Compressor
are the thing he removes the retainers???

watching more youtube stuff, valves just droped out after the spring is removed?? that the case with these motors??

^^^^^^^are you referring to this^^^^^^^^

about the hole remove thing,

start by
removing head,
removing the rocker pins,
undoing the locking nut< same nut as when doing valves clearances??
remove rockers<< should jst come out now??

then the cam should jst slide out??

to get the springs out to get clamp them and remove the retainers
then valve should jst slide out???

is that all right for removing? and do to put back together then jst do it the other way round??? or is there some thing differnt about puting back together?

i have gotten valves out before by finding a socket of size of the same as the dish that has the retainers and springs and just sort of pump the valves in and out and they should just pop off....getting them back im not sure i have heard very tricky...i never needed to put mine back as my head had a miniscule hairline fracture

just do the reverse process and you should be all good.(altho fitting the retainers and collets can be a bit tricky)..
also little tip...just put a little oil on the valve stem(long skinny part) before sliding them in...that will stop them wanting to seize when you start it up for the first time

and make sure everything is super clean

i have gotten valves out before by finding a socket of size of the same as the dish that has the retainers and springs and just sort of pump the valves in and out and they should just pop off....getting them back im not sure i have heard very tricky...i never needed to put mine back as my head had a miniscule hairline fracture

Thats how i did it , but i never got them back in :p
you need the special tool to make it easy.. unless theirs a technique out there somewhere?

sit the collets in the retainer and use a bit of rag with the same socket and push then on, sometimes takes a little for them to pop in but they do go in

ok sweet, ill order new head gaskets probby and pull the head off and then get the valves sizes,

with valves sizes, can i jst get the bit at the bottom, not sure of its name but yer, or do i need how long it is as well??

and got a vernier so it should be right on with the size

are you replacing the valves? just take both the valves to where ever your going for your gaskets..doubt theyll have them...
if so youll have to buy some lapping paste and a lapping stick...supercheap have them...

by the way what suburb are you in?

yer doing valves do and cant jst take it, geting all from thailand, akunar,
and lapping paste and stick?? how do i put that on,,

and kedron, you?

burpengary...

if your getting larger valves youll have to get the head machined...

lapping paste and the stick is to reseat new(same size) and old valves to the seats in the head(inserts)
How to lap valves | Wonder How To

also dont get lapping compound on the valve stem, it will wear the guide out...

a little wire wheel is pretty all you can use... its used to get rid of all carbon around the valve area.
because when your working on that area of the head if theres carbon there it breaks off into dirt like granules and can muk up the entire process...

Latest posts

Back