fast ace as 02 problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i bit the bullet and pulled the spring out of the rebound side, which allowed me to push the rod down it was attached to and this is what happens

so the hole is most definately ment to be there.
i did notice tho that the rebound fork has a completely different top seal than the compression fork

any thoughts gentlemen? could these be a first gen model, and the walk-through i am using be for a 2nd or 3rd gen fork?

i also just found someone else with a similar problem, see post 13 of this thread on planet mini's
FastAce Forks
which means someone has got the top clickers switched around at some stage, and what i thought was the rebound leg was actually the compression leg. which makes me think that its the innards from a as03 fork in the outers of a as02 fork

Last edited:
Weird!!

Seems like your getting through it though, forks arks are so complicated, I'm scared to even put shims in mine ! :p

:thumbup: So from the brief research I did on them. Looks like the first gens may have the 'air' breather on the bottom of the forks? Is thats what it is?? The later models have an air breather valve on top....from what I can gather from the specs/manuals.....

So you got them apart obviously? Do you still think its a missing part or not?

lol, i can understand your hesitation, i'm just pulling parts off, and then replacing them then pulling them off again, helps imprint into my brain where and what parts go where. not the quickest method, but as you said i seem to be getting through it :)

Weird!!

Seems like your getting through it though, forks arks are so complicated, I'm scared to even put shims in mine ! :p

Stop being a girl!!! If you're putting in something to harden the springs up what can go wrong?? Harder springs thats it....but reading up on some of the 'fork tuning' real MX bike stuff. Seems like 100mm of travel as sag is about normal....Race sag iirc is what its called when your forks sag with just the bike weight on them....so your forks are fine...they just set up for racing!!! :grinning-smiley-003

:thumbup: So from the brief research I did on them. Looks like the first gens may have the 'air' breather on the bottom of the forks? Is thats what it is?? The later models have an air breather valve on top....from what I can gather from the specs/manuals.....

So you got them apart obviously? Do you still think its a missing part or not?

got em apart for enough to work out that what i thought was the rebound leg is in fact the compression leg, and it doesnt have a separate oil chamber or adjustment, which leads me to believe that they are as 03 innards. not to big of a deal for callum, but they will probably always be to soft for me

True, thats part of the reason I didnt do it, I was talking to a friend that rides MX, and he said they are about perfect for his weight, he actually prefered them to the forks on his JAP bike, But in the bush the are a bit stiff.

Stop being a girl!!! If you're putting in something to harden the springs up what can go wrong?? Harder springs thats it....but reading up on some of the 'fork tuning' real MX bike stuff. Seems like 100mm of travel as sag is about normal....Race sag iirc is what its called when your forks sag with just the bike weight on them....so your forks are fine...they just set up for racing!!! :grinning-smiley-003
from the research i have done, if you shim them out to far it can cause you to bottom the spring travel out to early, effectively reducing your amount of travel, and cause problems with the springs them selves. i am most definitely no expert tho as evidenced by this fiasco :)

from the research i have done, if you shim them out to far it can cause you to bottom the spring travel out to early, effectively reducing your amount of travel, and cause problems with the springs them selves. i am most definitely no expert tho as evidenced by this fiasco :)

Yeah thats why I originally mentioned harder or progressive springs to Blender....dont you worry I broke every set of tripple clamps before the boxers....every set. The original Rock Shocks lasted all of two months, they were $800 forks back then....junk! Springs is easy and safe :thumbup: as is oil as long as you can get the right weight and level!!! Thats why it was being good being sponsered back in the day I could screw my bike up, bring it home pull it apart say ah thats what I broke then take it in to the shop and hand it over like this is broken here are the pieces....and it only cost me the price of the parts... :thumbup: the mechanic had never seen a broken LX front hub....so I was nicknamed the hub fcker by the workshop from then on after that, hence why I thnk jap parts are well still very breakable just more freaking expensive when inevitably you break it!! :applaudit:

Last edited:
well from what i have found out today, i probably spent 3 hours or more searching the net
there aren't too many people that have rebuilt them, or even had them apart.
they look like they're supposed to be like that.

i was ready to send you the air piston/bung from one of mine too

well from what i have found out today, i probably spent 3 hours or more searching the net
there aren't too many people that have rebuilt them, or even had them apart.
they look like they're supposed to be like that.

i was ready to send you the air piston/bung from one of mine too

You stress far to much mate!!!

a genuine set of as 02's has both reb and comp adjustment though craig, so they definately are not as 02's because every site i come across says both forks on the as 02 have the seperate oil/air chamber's. your right on not a lot of ppl having had these apart, but the ppl that have had them apart (genuine as 02's) have filled both side's and replaced the bung. if you look at this thread you mat understand what i mean. he has as 03's, and has the same internals as mine...
Fast Ace AS03 Front Fork

so that means someone has put as 03 internal's into as 02 forks at some stage, there is no other explanation for the difference

this was the thread that made me pretty certain they are as 03 internals as well
FastAce Forks
on the second page "the mountain" says that his forks are as 03's, and on the first page motox2k explains how the bottom chamber is the air chamber and that there should be no oil in them (for as 02's that is)

they are craig, its the oil flow adjustment that is not there on the as o3's the clicker on top of one is a dummy, does nothing whereas there was noticeable difference in fork feel when adjusting the other clicker

Latest posts

Back