First moto, ares99/orion27 125cc

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony_L

Reaction score
Greetings,

Due to a mates new rental circumstances I got a free china 125!
Now I was in no way intending to get a bike, but it happened to be lying around - and I was too scared to ride his 250 (that he also got with the property). I actually have only ever ridden a peewee50 probably 20+ years ago.

This is the only picture I have of it 'together', I'd already ripped the plastics off that were left.

Determined it was a 'Ares 99' from a barely readable sticker.
Orion 27 copy frame
Loncin Lc152fmt

After eventually getting it to run (dodgy spark lead), I realised why the rear wheel wouldn't roll

Cost so far: $0

Brought it home and started stripping,
Bought a new wheel (different hub design thinking it might last longer) - Silver 12mm Axle 3 00 12" Inch Rear Wheel RIM Knobby Tyre PIT Trail Dirt Bike | eBay

Cost so far: $66

Course then I had to get a new sprocket and rotor.. + front sprocket and chain
37 Teeth 420 Rear Back Chain Sprocket COG 125cc PIT PRO Trail Quad Dirt Bike ATV | eBay
14T Teeth 17mm 420 Chain Front Sprocket COG PIT Trail Quad Dirt Bike ATV Buggy | eBay
190mm Brake Caliper Disc Disk Rotor 125cc PIT PRO Trail Quad Dirt Bike ATV Buggy | eBay

NEW Genuine DID 420 Roller Chain 120 Links PIT Bike Dirt Moto Quad ATV | eBay

Cost so far: $133

New throttle and some fuel filters
https://www.banggood.com/Electric-Motorcycle-Bike-Aluminum-Handlebar-Throttle-Grip-NCY-p-921735.html
https://www.banggood.com/5X-Univers...Gas-Gasoline-Liquid-Fuel-Filter-p-913243.html

Cost so far: $147

If I continue with the current frame then I still need:
Throttle Cable (Seized) - Ordered
Clutch Cable (Chopped due to laziness) - Ordered
Fuel Tank Cap (Flaked 'chrome', dubious seal) - Sourced from my67xr
Fuel Tank (cap thread failure) - Sourced from my67xr
Spark Lead (Dodgy boot connection) - Ordered
Spark Plug (Still china 'Torch) - Ordered
Better Wheel Bearings - Ordered
Rear Axle (Unsure of spacing with new wheel)
Rear Brake Lever (non-existing)
Seat (Fallen apart) - Will use for now
Air Filter (Fallen apart) - Ordered

Last edited:
Since I realise this frame is disliked, and not as compatible for parts as most others I've been searching for alternatives

Bought this from FB (+ Scuffed plastics)

An old BSE apparently, unfortunately on further inspection it has some issues:
Forks leak
Welds cracked at base of swing-arm mount
Flogged shock bushes (as expected)
Barely existing swing-arm bearing
Rear rim lip bent

Project cost total: old $147, new $120
Already gone over my hoped budget with this :(

Last edited:
the bse frame looks like a better base for your project, looks alot better than the twin spar one.

Couple more hurdles;

New frame is 15mm, new wheel/old frame is 12mm
Old engine/swing-arm mount 12mm, new 10mm

Q's
Can you rebuild calipers and front brake levers?
How does one determine max/min rotor diameter for a caliper?
Any way to use a 12mm wheel with a 15mm swing-arm?

Your back disc looks like a 190mm o/d ?

you could try a local bearing shop and ask if the have any reducer bush's, 15mm o/d to 12mm i/d

In the newer hub style I have a 180mm and 190mm (assuming front and rear rotor mounts are same)
Only have calipers from the '27

Right now I'm thinking it'll be cheapest to complete the 27 frame first - and make sure Im not **** at riding, then build up the new frame with a new budget

Said throttle doesn't even clamp together on bars properly :11doh:, have to get the file out

Sorted fuel tank thanks to my67xr

Got my ebay bits, need to order more of course - never seem to think of everything in the one go

Going to get HT bolts for most of the stuff - not sure about the swing-arm ones though, will the ebay ones be ok?
Very unsure how to set up the rear wheel in regards to spacers - definitely have to get new ones

Confirmed I need a new rear brake setup, only have a 2pot caliper + bracket atm - one of the sliders is dodgy as well

Got bearings for both frames (-head stems)
Now they are LLU - so I shouldn't grease them at all?

I thought the AGB frame's run tapered bearings, both of mine did.
If yours has the Enduro LLU's with rubber seals, then there's no need to grease them

Last edited:
Nah, mine has this style.
As for the new frame tapers - I just forgot about them (EDIT: Can only read 320/22 on bottom cup)

Cost me $83 for 4x6202, 4x 6301 and 2x 6200 - NTN

Last edited:
And another order, hopefully second to last one to finish bike.

Feeling meh about the whole project at the moment
(I'm very bad at finishing projects)

Last edited:
When you get it together and take it for it's first spin it will make it all worth it :)

First spin of test mount rear wheel says noo

Think I've got my spacer sizes sussed - however I haven't put in the better bearings yet which I guess could make a difference (bearing puller is having trouble with auspost - well torpedo7 moreso)

Back wheel looks a bit buckled, are you going to tru it yourself ?
if you cant i can do them, doesn't take long

you don't need a bearing puller for the rear bearings either, just a length of 10mm rod
push it through the middle of the hub and to one side, the rod will touch the bearing inner race and then give it a couple of taps with a hammer, it'll come out easy.

PS- you might want to edit your new signature too !!

Not sure if I have a spoke tool around that'd fit
I'll have a go myself, if I fail i'll bring it to you

Definitely need to get:
Clutch Cable
Throttle Cable

Could probably do with:
Rear Brake kit (only have caliper+bracket) - 12mm Hydraulic Rear Disc Brake Caliper System PAD 110cc 125cc PIT PRO Dirt Bike | eBay
Rear Brake lever (allegedly would look like this - http://i.imgur.com/MRlIDTl.jpg )
Grips (Would get away with old stuff if I use the bse throttle)
Levers (bent and average looking)
Front Master (not sure if current one leaks - glass level is shattered though) - Hydraulic Front Disc Brake Caliper System Pads 125cc 150cc PIT PRO Dirt Bike | eBay

That front brake set you linked is for an offset front disc, does your front wheel have a flat disc or offset ?
this brake set is for the flat disc- GD Hydraulic Front Disc Brake Caliper System Pads 125cc 150cc PIT PRO Dirt Bike | eBay
Neither of those brake kits mention what size disc they suit either ?

Bling clutch cable suit 125cc, $7.20 inc post - Color 950mm 75mm Clutch Cable Cord 125cc 140cc PIT PRO Trail Quad Dirt Bike ATV | eBay
Bent end throttle cable , $7.75 posted - 106cm Bent Throttle Cable 50cc 90cc 125cc Dirt PIT PRO Trail Motorised Push Bike | eBay

Basic folding levers $16.50 inc post- Foldable Clutch Brake Lever Handle 110cc 125cc 150cc PIT PRO Dirt Bike | eBay
or $11.30 ex china with free post, 3-4 weeks wait- PIT Dirt Bike Folding Clutch Brake Lever Chrome 200cc 140cc 90cc 110cc 125cc | eBay

Troy Lee Designs/ODI grips $19.99 Peter Stevens Motorcycles in the City, most motorcycle shops
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Odi-Mx-M...lothing_Merchandise_Media&hash=item3a8f02f725

For the spoke tool you could always make your own, DIY.
do you have an angle grinder with a 1mm cutting disc, and a length of 12mm steel rod?
just cut the end carefully making sure both sides are parrallel, and so the slot is 5mm wide and about 8mm deep, then dress it with a file.

Last edited:
Hmm, you've confused me with the offset stuff

The one I linked is a flat bracket - which looks to fit my flat disc wheel?
One you linked is like what I have with my offset disc (confirmed mine is seized)

Grips sorted

Will have to get my mate onto the spoke tool - you mean solid rod?

Latest posts

Back