Getting a klx140

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mum thought it was wheel size but someone told her it would be some other difference ;)
i am getting the one with the smaller wheels

yeh seems to be a wheel size difference only. rest of the bike looks the same, so id be lead to believe, if you REALLY wanted, you could get either model and just get the other models wheel set and mix and match as required.. would make a pretty sweet mid moto setup with a set of slicks on the spare rims ;)

The price diff is only about $300 I think, so it would have to be only the wheel size that is different.

yeh seems to be a wheel size difference only. rest of the bike looks the same, so id be lead to believe, if you REALLY wanted, you could get either model and just get the other models wheel set and mix and match as required.. would make a pretty sweet mid moto setup with a set of slicks on the spare rims ;)

Hey, I'm klx140kid's mum.;) foolsp33d, what you're suggesting is actually the first thing I thought of. Start him with the smaller wheels then swap them over at a later stage. When I suggested that to the guy at the shop he said that's not possible.:confused:

Why would that be? I'm not very technically minded, but I would have thought they'd be able to be mixed and matched as you say. I'm a bit confused as to what the issue would be to make it not possible.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

just guessing here but could have something to do with the swingarm and the scocks? different size to accomodate for the bigger tyres, That would be my guess

Interesting, I will do some research and see what I can find out for ya skye. Go past a number of bike shops daily so will call in..

I cant imagine it being a huge difference, as Thump said, its only $300. surely the same swinger and axles are used in both bikes!?

Will investigate and let you know what I come up with..

Seat Height (mm): 779.8
Wheels
Rear Wheel Diameter: 14
Tires
Front Tire Speed Rating: 42M
Rear Tire Speed Rating: 52M

140L
Seat Height (mm): 800.1

Wheels
Rear Wheel Diameter: 16
Tires
Front Tire Speed Rating: 40M
Rear Tire Speed Rating: 49M

Air Adjustable No
Front Adjustable Fork Pre-Load No
Front Adjustable Rebound Damping No
Front Central Suspension Strut No
Front Fork Diameter (in) 1.3
Front Fork Diameter (mm) 33
Front Suspension Type Telescopic Fork
Front Travel (in) 7.1
Front Travel (mm) 180.3
Number Rear Shock Absorbers 1
Rear Adjustable Rebound Damping Yes
Rear Adjustable Shock / Spring Pre-Load Yes
Rear Suspension Type Twin Sided Swing Arm
Rear Swingarm Material Aluminum
Rear Travel (in) 7.1
Rear Travel (mm) 180.3
Steering Damper No

The new Kawi is available in two flavors: the KLX140L shown here with 19/16-inch wheels, plus the base KLX140, which rolls on 17/14-inch hoops. The only other difference is the L-model's upgraded shock, featuring an aluminum body and piggyback reservoir plus adjustments for spring preload, four-way compression and 22-way rebound damping.

from:Kawasaki KLX140L Fills The Gap - First Ride - Motorcyclist Online

Last edited:
Thanks foolsp33d, that would be great. Sometimes I think they see me coming.... you know what I mean? Because I don't fully understand things yet it would be easy for them to take advantage of me.;) And try to tell me anything.

It's not such a big deal if they aren't interchangable.... I'm more curious than anything now because to my eye there seems very little difference in the bikes.
I guess the natural progression if he remains interested is to a kx85 (according to junior!) in a few years so it probably doesn't matter too much if it's not possible.

Last edited:
Dang! your one cool as mum! Yeh I dare say the lil fella is on the $ with the next bike, but he might find that he wants to go technical rather than fast, so who knows maybe a trials bike is next and you will be catchin him jumpin it off the garage roof, onto the bonnet of the car, into an impressive endo only to stop at your feet and ask, "whats up mum? I didnt stack, dont worry..."

Do a little research skye, go into the store with the guns loaded and know what to ask, watch their faces if you give them the run down on the bike and then ask them if there is anything they can add!

Id be tempted to take a clued on guy friend along next time and see if they give him the same answers and dont try to 'take advantage' so to speak..

Yeah foolsp33d I hear you about the research... I'm currently working towards building a house so I'm learning really quickly how hard people will try to screw me cos they think I'm a stupid woman.:mad:

Id be tempted to take a clued on guy friend along next time and see if they give him the same answers and dont try to 'take advantage' so to speak..

Ha ha ha very funny you should say that.... no-one will come and help me.:rolleyes:

And no matter how clued in I pretend to be.... they know I don't know anything. But I'll just do a bit more research. I've 100% decided on this bike though. Just interested to find about about this wheel issue. All those numbers you posted don't make much sense to me... yeah I'm that ignorant about bikes.:)

Not at all worried about him hurting himself and that part of it.... broken bones and cuts and bruises are part of it... better than him sitting on his arse all day.;)

Last edited:
hey, i was in the sasme soert of position as you guys about 2 years ago, only i didn't get money to get a nice bike, i saved 500$ by myself hahaha.

ok, so in MY opinion, that would be the perfect choce for your son. Guessing on he's 10 years old, i'd probably go for the small wheel model, of course, if he's a giant, take the big, but you probably need to go to the shops and have him sit on a bike. His toes should be touching the grond, and have at least one foot down. if he doesn't fit either by just a little bit, don't fret, he''l grow, and by the time he has some bike boots on he will be a few inches taller

As for power on this bike ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! but he will grow into the bike, see, 4 strokes are soooo much easier the 2's. DON"T GET THE KX85 stragtht away. let him learn on this bike, also just because it doesnt have as harsh power, he can still have fun, like wheelies, jumps, stoppies and wheight control and balance. all these things will sort of become second nature while riding these bikes. so in my opinion, this bike will be perfect, but i haven't seen him and stuff.

also, being a decent 140 it should be a great stepping stone to an 85 2 stroke.i had a 125 4 stroke then went to a RM80 and found it not real hard to change over. It will take time to get everything right, try some jumps and stuff, get your tchnique right then move to the 2 stroke, otherwise you will go to a mx track and fall off hard. (i did that, like 2 months after i got my rm i fell off on a jump and broke my collarbone), haha.Maybe before you get a 2stroke, maybe get some coaching, it will definately help.

as i said this is just my opinion, and if you don't like what i said just disregard it
hoped ive helped a lil bit

Last edited:
just thought i should mention - everyone seems to be using a lot of motorbike jargon in this thread that you might not understand, if you have any questions just ask - we're more than willing to help!

Update:

Called in at Kawasaki Brighton (Nepean Highway) yesterday, and inquired about the bike KLX140kid and skylar are in the process of purchasing. It was confirmed the only difference between the 140 and 140L IS the wheel size, and a price difference of around $300.

I was told a cost of around $1500 for a second set of new rims would not be far off the mark.

The 140 and 140L wheels ARE interchangeable between the two, as I was told..

They also explained they would adjust the bike to fit the rider, this included lowering the forks in the tripples, and adjustment(3 position?) of the rear shock. lowering the overall stance around an inch-inch half..

In all, they gave me what I wanted to know, with no running about, or beating around the bush.

Hope the info has helped a little Skylar, keep us all informed of any issues or problems and we look forward to seeing both you and KLX140kid on the tracks in the near future.

Last edited:
Thanks or the update fools, might talk to the dealer I've been speaking to and check that out. Interesting that two different Kawasaki dealers offer quite differing information.:confused:

As for seeing us on the track..... klx140kid maybe....
Me? Are you insane? :eek:
I'd be good for comedy value, that's about it! ;)

So, have you decided to get the Big wheeled or Small Wheeled.. i think you should get the big wheel as it will last him longer and for now he can just rest on one foot when he stops or just put the stand down :p.. i dont think they are that heavy bikes ;)

Cheers Andrew

if the large wheel is too big then soften the rear suspension up.. but yeh man your lucky to be getting that bike especially brand new.. i have to save for my last 3 bikes and im only 15 hahah... good luck

personally

ha as above good choice i'd go the small wheel as by the time he had grown out of the small wheels i'd imagine he would have grown out of the bike and it will time to upgrade

good luck and enjoy

as fools says let us know how ya go and any tech help ya need dont hsitate to ask

We have gone for the small wheel. I agree coolmodee, I think he may well be looking to a new bike by the time he has outgrown it sizewise. Paid for it but it will have to sit in the shop until we finish building our house.:(
Nowhere to keep it or ride it until we move from our current little townhouse with only a carport to our big house with a massive garage.:D

Unless anyone has any ideas where we can keep it.....:p

UPDATE:

Pretty much paid for the bike today. Going to pay the last bit when I pick it up. Gone for the small wheel. I think by the time he outgrows it, he may be ready to step up to another bike anyway.

Currently trying to rearrange things to find somewhere for it to live. That's the hold up. lol Might have to make some room in our storage locker thing I think. :(

Will post some pics as soon as we get it. :)
klx140kid is very excited. :D

Can't wait for our damn house to be built... but that's a whole other nightmare. :mad:

Latest posts

Back