Hello from Detroit

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok cool, well for $39 to check it out I thought was good. Anytime you do anything to something you never did is a good thing, to remove the motor I'm familiar with it now. And I can detail it and the frame it they get it all running. I'd be happy with a $70 shop bill, the engine guy does awesome work. If it's junk, I'll just buy another, I don't have anything into it so far but that 12v bulb. If the motor is good, I need the black plastic part on the back, with the vents in it, can you buy them?
I'll also drain and refill the oil in the case, ah what ever you call it.

Last edited:
The headlight bulb socket was bad, one of the contacts was all pushed in and smashed in the bottom, lol it doesn't end, but I see them on Amazon for .98¢ for a replacement, so I ordered one. I'm still waiting on the shop to call me on the motor. They haven't called yet so I hope that's a good thing.

The engine is done but I haven't picked it up yet, I did polish the chrome on the exhaust and sanded the rusty black pipe down, shot it with High Heat black, also I did a handful of the Metric bolts that's on this bike, I'll wire wheel them and shoot them with a titanium, it matches the gray on the frame nice.

Last edited:
Come up really good bud.

Keen to see it finished.

How did you go with motor? They sort it out?

It was $39 just to check out, wit an add'l $45-50 for all, I told him to throw a new spark plug in too, it needed a jug gasket if I heard him rite, and the carb rebuild I'll pick it up tomorrow or the next day, I guess that's the gasket where the two halves separate, it was loose there. I'll talk to the mechanic when I pick it up. It he headlamp socket came in the mail today, that was just .89¢. I'm working on getting all the components done, then reassemble it. I'm thinking of painting the frame now that the engine is out. And I'd like to polish all the alum parts. Mothers with a powerball will work. The Rims are alloy too, they need a refresh.

Last edited:
I got the motor home, I started cleaning/degreasing it, it looks way better. I'll finish it up tomorrow, and paint the small exhaust pipe on it, the only thing broken is the exhaust cover, it's black plastic, I see one on one of the sites for $10. You guys are prob sick of my step by step pics so I'll spare you guys.

I got the motor home, I started cleaning/degreasing it, it looks way better. I'll finish it up tomorrow, and paint the small exhaust pipe on it, the only thing broken is the exhaust cover, it's black plastic, I see one on one of the sites for $10. You guys are prob sick of my step by step pics so I'll spare you guys.

Opposite bud that's what we love. Seeing the build come together piece by piece.

Nothing more satisfying that when it's done.

Excited to see the finished product.

PS: We LOVE pics. haha ;)

Yep, picture's tell a thousand word's.
This forum wouldn't be half the forum it is, if it weren't for our members' posting their progress shot's and update's etc :thumbup:

Sound's like it won't be long before you're buzzing around on the little bike!

Well then, lol I'll post some. I'm taking it into work today for a little "Goverment" project, I just put a new laundry tub in and what a mess I had just cleaning the plastic pcs yesterday, I'll degrease it at work. I'll post up some shots later.
It doesn't look like there is a master link in the chain, I was going to put one in, I'll replace the chain sometime anyway, but is it stronger not to have one? I remember my mini bike I had as a kid had one, it would come off sometimes.

I cut a PC of sty foam to mock up a Battery, looks like 3.5" -L 2" wide - 3" high. All the batteries I see are over 4" long. Still looking.
Loews has some replacement gas caps I the small engine dept, I'll. Take the tank in today to see if I can find one that fits. I also found the double fuel line set-up on Amazon for like $6. It came with the rubber grommet too.

Last edited:
I got the fuel line kit in the mail today, it's rite on the orig one, has a 3/4" grommet too. Now I just need a cap, I tried Replacement gas caps at Loews & Homo Depot, none of them fit.
The tank is a bit nasty inside, I'll do what we do for the rad overflow bottles, a handfull of pea gravel and soft scrub bleach, I found a cork for the fuel line hole, I just need a cap. You put the gravel, bleach and a some water in it and shake it. The overflow bottles usually come out nice. For some reason my PB account isn't working. I'll figure it out and post some new pics.

Last edited:
A lot of the pocket bike's i've seen use a SLA battery, like this-
http://www.amazon.com/ML5-12-Replacement-Battery-Pocket-product/dp/B00K8MXEZI
http://www.amazon.com/BP4-12-12V-4-...=UTF8&qid=1456809025&sr=1-19&keywords=4ah+12v

Cleaning the tank out, you can also use some White vinegar and leave it to sit overnight.
Then put in some abrasive grit/hand cleaner/washing powder etc and shake it around, then wash/blow it out well
It'll come up like new.

New cap-
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Par...id=1456809719&sr=1-2&keywords=pocket+bike+cap

Hey thanks, I'm going to run by a scooter shop Thursday, the guy wasn't too helpful when I went there rite after I got the bike but he may have a few, otherwise I'll do that cap and the first battery. I'm going to see if he has a brake lever, I don't see any like I have. Mine has a spring on the lever.
Has anyone found and of the chrome bolts that have the rubber washer on, I need a handful of those, they look al rusty and crappy.

You could use some nice stainless socket head bolt's, nut's and washer's, they'll never rust
Just need to work out what size's/length's you need
And use some fender washer's with them too, they have a bigger o/d than normal washer's and won't pull into the rubber grommet's as much
These stainless bolt's have a mushroom shaped socket head and look pretty neat
http://www.walmart.com/ip/M6x20mm-3...tersunk-Round-Head-Screw-Bolts-20PCS/48409917
Stainless Nyloc nut's
http://www.walmart.com/ip/100-Pieces-Stainless-Steel-304HC-Hex-Nylock-Nyloc-Nut-M6-A2-70/45516136
Fender washer's, stainless
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fender-Wa...Plain-Fits-M6-ID-6.4mm-OD-18mm-Pk-50/41189693

Man i wish we had Wallmart's here !!

I like those Allen head bolts, you got me sold on those, I'm using them. Bummer is they are metric. Funny, I have a box but their 1/4 -20.I'm thinking of the original parts and fasteners, keeping it original, it's not my '78 T/A. Lol. You wouldn't like Walmart, the people that shop there are strange. I only go there for Ammo and Oil, they have the best prices on oil.
The chain guard is real rusty, it was chrome plated, ant the skid plate looks stainless, it's not too bad, I'm thinking maybe hammer tone, what do you guys think. I could drop them off and get them bead blasted.
I got the engine all back together, it looks nice. My photobucket us still not loading, not sure there. But I have pics. We got another snow storm going here in the D, I plan on working on the bike all day.

Last edited:
The Here's the motor all cleaned and exhaust painted. I'll take this styrofoam in to the battery shop and see if something is close. Otherwise I'll mail order one, and the headlight socket is ready to solder in.
I took a long Allen wrench ant cut the small end off with a Metabo, now you can put it in a 4MM socket, the motor bolts are a pain to get at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, do you have a gold Trans Am in your photobucket album?
I think you have the pocket bike album set to private ?
There's no pic's ^, i tried fixing it but can't

I just have one PB account. Thats actually for my Forum. It's prob too Late to do a public one now.
And yes, that's my T/A.

Latest posts

Back