how long till we see the fall of the jap bikes?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other thing to note is that alot of the jap companies now have parts made in china, all be it to their strict guidlines as they are still putting their name to it. I hope the china bikes continue to get better and stay cheap...this will drive the price of jap bikes down.

I think the jap companies are making good profits on their dirtbikes, I don't believe that a cbr600rr with a rrp $15000 would only cost $2000 extra to build over what honda charge for a crf450x (rrp $13000.)

well there needs to be a country like Japan in this case to set a quality standard among bikes and other vehicles.

but like previously said, the quality is in china if you pay for it. but i think all the low quality vehicles have burned a lot of people..

personally i dont care what china do, but to take over they would need to make their own vehicles instead of cloning everything.. and lol vehicles isn't all they clone. i wouldn't be surprised if there's 10 identical Mr Wong's in the world...lol

**edit**

could you imagine what this world would turn to if china was setting quality standards..

Yer ther is a reason why they are cheep think about it , I think some 1 o. This site was saying that the had 1 of the grate wall things and they bent the chassis . I wouldent pay 22g for a chinease great wall wen u can get a 2nd hand lux for cheaper , they will be hard to get parts for like china bikes were back in the day and they won't last along . Hyandi excels are gutless my cusen had 1 and to do a hill start he would turn the air con off to give it enfough power lol. O well that's my rant if it makes sense ahah

Once again. A huge generalization. Admittedly, early excels were pretty bad on the whole but there are still a huge amount of them on the road, which to me, suggests that if taken care of they will keep going.

I took on a contract last year which involved me driving around most of NSW over a period of 4 months. I didn't want to do it. They asked me to quote, I quoted WAY too high, and they accepted within about 15 minutes. Once in a lifetime type of stuff.

I digress.

I bought a hyundai excel as I did not want to put the km's on any of my cars. It had done about 180,000 km's and had a full service history. I drove this little car non stop for 4 months covering almost 50,000 km's. I ran over wombats, drove on "roads" I probably wouldn't drive a jap bike on and changed the oil 3 times.

Sure a few bits and pieces broke. Driver window winder and driver internal door handle. On the whole this little car stunned me with the punishment it took and its reliability.

Since then I have done a bit of research on Hyundai.

The Hyundais before the X3 were renowned for their bad quality. They were unreliable and had myriad of issues.

Hyundai was either going to disappear or they needed to step up. They got all of their engineers together and demanded they build an engine that would last. People can put up with a few broken bits and pieces over time as long as the car still does what it should do. Gets them from A to B.

In many ways the X3 Hyundai was Hyundai's Corolla.

At the risk of sounding sad. The hyundai excel X3 in a 1.5 manual combination is a great little car. It is not ridiculously fast, it is not beautiful, it is not luxurious and it is not slow. As with most of the China bikes we ride, if you look after it, it looks after you.

I still have the little car. I am almost embarrassed to drive it and rarely do. I cant part with it though as it served me well, was a faithful friend and at the end of the day made me a s@#tload of money. It is kind of like that friend we all have that we don't introduce to our other friends. Well I am coming out of the closet. I like the Hyundai excel X3 and I am proud of it. There it's been said.

I hope my parents understand.

Logic (sometimes lack thereof)

Last edited:
it will be about 10 yrs.

key phrase here is "Chinese, Tiawanese copy". so if they keep copying, the japs and euros will always be one step ahead. as the chinese and tiawanese keep copying, they will get the skills and knowledge to develop their own ideas and get better engineers on board, and start developing the bikes on a workd stage.

it will happen, but for a while.

another thought I have while typing this....
how often do we see a change in the racing codes. moto GP have changed their regulations quite often. and same with the MX open and lites classes. we have seen within 10 years the 2 stroke become all but obselete. the introduction of a new 350 4 stroke machine. what is going to happen over the next 10 yrs? it will take atleast that long for the chinese and tiawanese guys to catch up developmentally. and then they will have to try and come up with a competitive edge. something new, something to set themeselves apart from the others.

and by the time they do, you wont be able to buy a mxer for under 17 grand. and they will have traction control, ABS, active suspension, titanium everythings. cant really see the chinese competing with this technology just yet. they still got communism to deal with first.

The other thing to note is that alot of the jap companies now have parts made in china, all be it to their strict guidlines as they are still putting their name to it. I hope the china bikes continue to get better and stay cheap...this will drive the price of jap bikes down.

I think the jap companies are making good profits on their dirtbikes, I don't believe that a cbr600rr with a rrp $15000 would only cost $2000 extra to build over what honda charge for a crf450x (rrp $13000.)

your right, parts can even be made:under lisence" in china so companies can still claim there made in another country
now im not mentioning any names as I dont wont to have the **** sued out of me and or the forum closed but you would be surprised what big cars companies are getting the parts made in china

The British bike makers killed themselves. Old engineers with old designs, refusal to update until too late. Norton then went too far, dumping their piggy bank on the rotary.

China has the opportunity to become a powerhouse in EVERY industry. Their manipulation of currency, giant interest on loans to the US and others who piss cash away like they have some, greedy consumers wanting 20 pair of $5 sneakers from the Wal-Mart. I couldn't help but shake my head at the "proud American" at least according to the bumper stickers on their US-made 8mpg 4x4 they were heaping Chinese crap toys in to, for their "Christian" holiday(sorry, getting my rants crossed). China is dumping OUR cash in to Africa, building roads. Sweet of them? Gotta get the raw materials they're raping the landscape of, back to China some how.

PissyPooUSA (no offense to PP-AU) failed to get the AMA to allow the 110 in the 65 class. Too bad, but the only ones saying it was competitive are their moronic mouthpiece and mindless minions.

Latest posts

Back