Idle all over the place, help!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowno24

Reaction score
Hey guys I just picked up a new Liflan 125, and recently put it on my little SSR frame... I also put on a new 24mm mikuni carb... On to the issues! Everything runs great except for the fact that I have to kick it and throttle when trying to start it, then once it's running the idle is wayyyy to high... What do I do to adjust the idle because there are no adjustment screws on my carb, only a "air flow" screw which did nothing! Thanks in advance guys!

Spence

PS, everything is brand new so I assume all the jets should be flowing fine!

Life is a garden... Dig it!

is the slide in the right way, as when you install it the spring will cause the slide to turn out of alignment, with the air filter off does the slide look like it is nearly all the way down, maybe bout 3-4mm off bottom

is the cable sitting in the carby cap all good and not stuck on the cable tip, when you flick the throttle back and forth you should here the slide bottom out on the idle screw, getting a ting ting noise, if not it tells me its may be a short cable or slide not in properly

Yes! When the air filter is off the slide is sitting off the buttom by about a quarter inch or less! How do I fix this???

unscrew the carby top,
slide the sldie out of the carby, taking note on what side the cable slot is on,
turn the slide around 180 degrees, so the slot is on the other side of the carby.
slip it back into the carby, you may need to wiggle it a touch, to get it to line up with the pin inside the carbys' bore.
then check it is sitting at the bottom, and refit the top again

It won't sit off the buttom both ways. There's still a small gap

That didn't work :((( help! What else to do!?

Do u have anymore adjustment at your hand throttle to screw in to give you more length. double check the cable is sitting inside the cap of the carby properly. if its good pull the carby out and make sure the slide actually goes all the way down without the cable attached, there maybe a burr in the slide case of the carby

Checked the slide and everything... This is how far the slide comes down without the throttle even attached!
473de006-f114-a582.jpg

Can't see the pic mate. might be my phone

Okay, well its open about a 1/4 of a inch...

Okay, well its open about a 1/4 of a inch...

I saw the pic it looks good. does it go that far down with the cable attached??
Is the cable tip sitting in the recessed section of the slide properly?

Let me know how it goes

Yep it goes down the same with the cable attached! I believe the cable is hooked up correctly be cause it is resting fine in the little groove and it just looks right... In my old carb tere was simply an idle screw that was adjustible, but for some reason Mukini decides not to give us one in their design of this carb... Or is there an adjustment screw that's just hiding from me???

take the slide out of the carb, look down the inside of the carb, there should be 2 pins on opposite sides of the walls, 1 skinny pin an the other a fat larger one. on your slide the skinny pin slides into the smaller grove (just locates the slide) while the larger one should be on the opposite side of slide and has a taper on the bottom. the fat on sits on this taper and if you follow the direction of the pin to the outside of the carb you will see the screw in line with it. thats the one to adjust your idle!!!!

now if its wound all the way out and the bike starts and idles how it wants to you have an air leak somewhere, hope this helps!

I'm assuming I have an air leak, because everything has Ben adjusted and checked numorous times yet it still idles way to high.. Where would an air leak be? How to fix it?

check all connections on each end of the manifold are tight and gaskets are in good shape...

Yep it goes down the same with the cable attached! I believe the cable is hooked up correctly be cause it is resting fine in the little groove and it just looks right... In my old carb tere was simply an idle screw that was adjustible, but for some reason Mukini decides not to give us one in their design of this carb... Or is there an adjustment screw that's just hiding from me???

there def is an idle screw, it just doesnt hang out like the others and isnt brass and is located on the opposite side to the choke lever, to determine if there is an air leak, you can spray some wd40 around the intake gaskets, head to intake and carb to intake(but an air leak would mean it is running at a lower idle, and once sprayed it covers the leak and idle should pick up), doesnt hurt to check the flats of the intake on both sides and check the carby around the the intake pipe section for a hairline crack. keep us posted.

have you backed off the throttle cable at the throttle on the handlebars?

put up a pic of the carbys' sides too
there should be a screw with a spring on it, and will line up with the centre of the slide on one side of the carby.

the slide looks like it is sitting correctly in your carby,
hold the intake manifold side of the carby up to the light, now look through the airfilter side
you shouldnt see any light though under the slide, or if you can maybe just a tiny bit

Latest posts

Back