KTM 65 SMR

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringo

Certified MR Member
Reaction score
I've lamented the sale of my 85sx motard, well, since I sold it!! :D

So after a few china bikes the craving for a two stroke powerband and six speed have returned to the point I started a project I thought about doing some time ago!

So i picked up this little ripper off gumtree in mint condition, I don't think it's done much work at all, even the radiator fins are still like new, none peened over like any other typical dirt squirter!!

kati2_zpsfcd8efa3.jpg

Ordered some very exxy wheels out of Italy on eBay, the front is actually for an 85sx so I could fit the 260mm factory floating disc:

IMG_3484_zps3682f9d7.jpg

Stripped it out while waiting for some heavier springs to arrive, more suited to tarmac and a rider who, well, weighs "a little bit" more than a 35kg 11 year old!!!

katiwheels2_zps23e4f5c2.jpg

Got some custom "65 SMR" number boards from motoXart:

65smr4_zps36088bd0.jpg

65smr3_zpsa9ff8e41.jpg

Started mocking up the 450 caliper:

65smr1_zpsb0604c86.jpg

Chinese honda crf50 fender in orange?????

65smr6_zpsec93f3cc.jpg

Venhill orange swivle joint hose:

hose_zps1f7d20a5.jpg

Disc arrived and tyres fitted, Dunlops TT93's:

tyres1_zps5ae6810a.jpg

More mucking around with the front brake, starting to test me!!

tyres3_zps86e380d5.jpg

Got the chain and 15t front sprocket, catch can, lock wiring and everything bar the front brake done and took it outside for some good pics that weren't under fluro light in the shed!

nearly1_zpsed0e7f6a.jpg

nearly3_zps500d0d97.jpg

nearly2_zps00587d98.jpg

nearly4_zps41bdc732.jpg

Now waiting for a 320mm brake caliper relocating bracket to drill, tap, and cut up to locate this caliper where I want it, I hope it works??

Round 2 of the State Championship is this weekend!! Very Excite!!!!

Last edited:
Haha yeah, I purposely bought a 2008 for two reasons, one, it is the last of the non powervalves!! :D And two, you can buy an Athena 80cc big bore kit for them whereas the 2009 on with powervalve you can't. Mini-Motard regs pit 160cc four strokes against 85cc two strokes, so if the little 65 doesn't have the required guts there's something I can do about it!!!

Also after owning the 85sx it's one downfall was trying to control all of it's suspension travel. I put heavier springs in it, upped the fork oil height and got the 11" front end down to about 8" travel but it was always a bit of a boat to ride!! This setup should handle heaps better!!

Also Mr Tarded Mo asked me on Facebook to weigh it, another advantage, it had 31kg on the rear and 31.5 on the front without front brakes fitted. 62.5KG!!!!! Well add another kilo tops for the brakes, under 64kg bike rolling!!!!

so the 2008 and earlier models are the only ones you can bore out? i didnt no that and now i do, cheers ;) i really want to get some tard rims and tyres for my braaap, never had a chance to do any motarding but it looks like so much fun!!!

I have to go and get some 6061 billet today to cut up and bridge the gap between the caliper mount and the forks tonight, this front brake is starting to get to me!!! :D

fbrake1_zpsba4b081c.jpg

fbrake2_zps210c93d4.jpg

Managed to hide this catch can back of engine, between swingarm!!

catch_zpsc5caee39.jpg

Fabbed up the brake caliper bracket last night, but it's about 1mm too wide. I'm off to the machine shop today to get it milled!!

bracket2_zps7c64d4c5.jpg

bracket1_zpsf1c1b769.jpg

Got the brake all sorted on Friday night, Saturday morning!

r2r2_zps753d33cc.jpg

r2r1_zpsb48c1bf6.jpg

And raced all day yesterday!! What an awesome little bike, the power band hits nice and hard lofting the front slightly in the lower gears, had the back end in a "just wiping the road" style slide out of a lot of the corners!! So much fun!

The 65 vs the 160 pitties is pretty even on the power, the 65 might just have the edge down the straight due to close ratio 6 speed!! I might not need that big bore kit after all. I think I'll just be looking for some vforce3's and a pipe for now, considering this bike's engine is "completely" stock I'm very impressed with the power!!

The only thing is, my gear shift foot is sore today, jks, due to twice the amount of shifts per lap this little peaky engine requires!! :D

Haha^ that is one sick ride mate, would love to try mini motard, or any motard for that matter, or even ride on a track:( anyway your ktm's look great, keep up the good work.

liked :thumbup:
and plus reps too

now you need to post some actions pics/video's too

Here's some shots after a full day of racing and in need of a bath:

fin4_zpsf1e433e1.jpg

fin3_zpsd36307e3.jpg

fin2_zps411df6e6.jpg

fin1_zps6535fbc6.jpg

And the prizes for winning the feature race!!!

prizes_zps09ab0ec3.jpg

well done !!

as if you need those cleaning products though !
besides the grass on the tyres, that bike looks like it is ready to go in a show.

Latest posts

Back