KX 65 Help Please before son beats me up!!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozmotorsport

Reaction score
Hi All.

Long story short. My son's KX 65 Stopped last November and has not started since.

After chasing our tails for various reasons for 2 weeks we were told weak spark was related to bad coil. Looked everywhere for coil, no luck. Ordered one, took 4 weeks to arrive only to find that was not the problem. Christmas came and went and could not get the bike booked in to any shops here. Finally they had a look at it yesterday and said it was the Stator. Again none in stock, 6 - 8 week wait $400

My poor young bloke would have outgrown this bike before he can ride it.

Can anyone help? It's a 2004 KX 65.

What year model Kx65 Stators will fit this model? Will other manufacturers Stator fit it? Does anyone have one for sale (non of eBay)

HELP!!!!!!

mate you can get stator coils re-wound..

gmf why they didnt offer this as an option.. common as..

Hi, Thanks for the replies.

I meant there are none on enay. As far as I can see they are all located in the US

buying secondhand is a gamble... stators on 2 strokes are so iffy.. there always in need of repair

that's what I'm thinking sean.

I was hanging out at the Mt Kembla Junior practice afternoon today and the guys were saying stator failure is quite common. If I bought one local froma wreckers etc I could at least take it back if no good or not ahve to wait for it to arrive and find it's no good. Cant see why everything I want to buy from Kwaka is not in stock.

buying secondhand is a gamble... stators on 2 strokes are so iffy.. there always in need of repair

did you miss the post i said about getting your stator re-wound... sus it out. and it should be about half the price of a new one..

i was quotecd $300 for the last genuine charge coil in my stator for my yamaha it200 plus freight from japan
i found an auto/bike electrician that removed and rewound mine and refitted it for $100

Thanks everyone. I'll have a dig around for an auto/bike elecatrician tomorrow. I'm located in Wollongong so if anyone knows of one in the Illawarra Please let me know.

you say its a week spark which means it does have spark so you would assume that with a weak spark ot would at least kick on a sniff of aerostart,my very first thought and i am assuming you know very little about two strokes to be asking this but have you put a brand new spark plug in it and secondly does it have any compression,i find most bikes have either no spark or spark,very rarely do they have weak spark unless its a rooted spark plug

i have come across heaps of 2 strokes (and 4's) that suffer very weak spark..
there are little things you can try to get stronger spark but if the stator coil is on its way out then there's no quick fix..

i usually check the earth connection to the frame first and then try a none resistor type spark plug cap, if no joy then test the coil (which are usually fine) then repair/replace the stator is next..
a good way of knowing is you have to de tune the carb to get it to idle and start, or kick the sht out of it or even push start it to generate enough voltage to give a decent spark.. (before checking all this a compression test and check the reeds is done)

another good tell tale is if the bike likes to go through spark plugs.

did you miss the post i said about getting your stator re-wound... sus it out. and it should be about half the price of a new one..

Rewinding makes perfect sense Sean. Depending on location there are a few places that rewind stators, this guy is central NSW coast.

Andy Wheeler
45 Bayside Dve
Green Point
Ph (02)43692313

^^^^^^ My brother-in-law had his son's KX65 stator , a YZ125 stator , and YZ250 stator rewound by that exact same guy ... It's not cheap (around $200 per stator I think ... I'd have to ask him what he charged again) ... but the guy rewinds 'em so they're better than stock ...

thanks for the feedback.

Just to update everyone, the bike is at Trevor Jordans in Wollongong. their Mechanic has diagnosed the stator as the problem.

If he said $400 and you will have it back next week i would jump at it, but $400 and we stil have to wait 6- 8 weeks that is getting a bit tough for the young bloke to handle.

If anyone knows someone in Wollongong let me know. In the meantime I will keep digging around.

thanks again.

ok, did you talk to him again and ask if repairing the stator is an option.. and if not then why?

sounds like he's not giving you the service you deserve

just putting it out sorry about it being slightly off topic. but would it be a useful thing to know, if i learn to rewire a stator. im a wizz with electronics and what not and i have my cert 2 in electrotech. so im sure it wouldn't be hard to learn/do. and i could do cheap jobs for blokes on here :)

rewinding a coil is basically just unsoldering the end of the wire and unwrap the coil, counting how many turns of copper wire come off. you find some new wire the same thickness and rewrap it (the same amount of turns) and solder the end again, done

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back