linkage, how it works

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbombers

Reaction score
first thing i'm going to say is, please don't flame me for bits iv got wrong. correcting me would be more pleasant:)

iv seen a few questions of how linkage works, iv also wondered myself. so i done a bit of research got this much

suspension linkage at the bottom end joins the shock to the swingarm itself. The linkage adds leverage to the suspension plus it allows the shock to be mounted more vertically. meaning a smaller weight shock is needed.

so, i know jack shit of the details and just going by what a mr google told me:p

add anything you know plz?

heres a vid i found too, kinda shows what it does.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/te7Q8V90bvo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/te7Q8V90bvo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't know how it works but - for me it looks like, when the suspension is attached directly onto the swingarm, it doesn't operate in a liner curve as it's not connected to it's pivot point. With the linkage the suspension will work in a liner curve and work the same from min to max!

Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

Londin
:iamwithstupid:

^ Yeah, im very/pretty sure it's mostly used for more progressive damping.
So its soft over the rough stuff, but ramps up under hard hits to help stop bottom-out.

Im not sure about lighter suspension being used, i think the linkage would add weight if anything.

with the linkage you got more progression ...the first part of the stroke is softer then on usual pitbike swinger..thats all...comes always down to it that the leverage is right and the shock is tuned correctly for it ;).......to complicated in my book for pitties...but thats only me :grin:

willis , if your talking about spring rates .

A equivalent midsize with no linkage would be running a 1000lb spring on average

Where as on my bike with linkage its only running a 300lb . thats one hell of a difference and puts alot less stress on the shock allowing it work alot better

yes on both counts Fmx...
the linkage rear on the Pitster, Cini and Revmx makes for a far more comfortable ride, better landings, much better tracking over rough ground, and better braking performance, owing to the fact the rear wheel sticks to the ground a lot better...
The suspension offered on these bikes also has low and hi speed compression adjusters, giving a greater range of adjustement, and can be tuned to ''squat'' under acceleration, correct sag, and still retain bottoming resistance...
much better handling bike on all counts when compared to rigid mount swingarms found on the majority of pitbikes..

As big as my balls allow... going blackduck next week again so gonna get that little bit further then last time and do the 80ft

But how far could the lxr go , still running stock bearings in the wheels and in the linkage and no slop anywhere so its going good , im not sure what the first weak link would be.

With the right ramp setup huge long upramp with a massive downy i reckon you could go 150ft on a mini thats fast enough tbh without landing and getting bucked over the bars either

my bushings in the shock eyelets have gone already , 4thish ride eek!

Wogtaz ryder, i don't want to sound like im having a go here, i'm a bit confused how a 300lb spring linkage would work better than a 1000lb one due to the shock being under less pressure? Surely the damping systems are designed to cope with 1000lb spring and wouldn't the quality of the damper have more to do with it?
I probably didn't word it right, but i was referring to how the linkage will 'ramp up' near the end of the stroke when it gets close to bottom out, making the shock compress at a greater rate if that makes sense?

all to do with shock valving. these linkage bikes run a 3 way adjustable setup.

and the reason the 300lbs spring works better is cause it doesnt take the same amount of force to make the shock move, which makes it more sensitive to bumps, stutters and woops..
you get more power to the ground to and the wheel spends less time in the air over bumps and sht.
also makes for a softer landing

mate people definately care, i for one do.. and im pretty sure i asked a whole heap of questions on linkages in other threads that Matt answered.. so yeah +reps to matt.

I think What I wrote come across wrong.I didnt mean it in a smart ass way. I meant it as in is it a big deal or not.. Didnt mean it as in who gives a rats ass...Wanted to clear the air. I love this site and all the imformation on it and alot of fantastic people on here and I am disapointed that what I said was taken out of context.

Latest posts

Back