major issues with kick back!!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny17

Reaction score
hi guys,

iv just got i lifan 150 and chucked her in my bike and i went to start it yesterday(first time) and every kick i give it i get huge kick back and have no idea whats causing it????
all help is appreciated

Lionel

The timing probably isn't adjusted properly. If you take off the flywheel cover and flywheel (not sure if you have to take the flywheel off, i don't have a 150) but there is a plate under the flywheel that you can rotate anticlockwise to retard the timing a bit and make starting easier. The 150 has a pretty mean kick back from what i have read. It is pretty hard compared to a 125 or 140.

Last edited:
yup you need to adjust the the stator plate anticlockwise to just past the middle of the available adjustments.... undo the 2 bolts on the plate and you'll see what I mean, I've found just a little more anticlockwise from the middle works well for me and no kickback but your's could be different so experiment,
you also need to kick he bike properly, get it to the compression, then carefully kick it to JUST past the compression, then start the bike from there

alright i know how to kick it properly had a crf250, so what take the complete fly wheel off? sorry have no idea with the electrical stuff so its a little confusing :p

no you leave the flywheel on..... look at the stator plate behind the flywheel, the bit with the pickup sensor can be loosened and rotated to adjust the timing...
You want to retard the timing a bit past halfway, there's a notch on the left underside where the bolt is to line up the timing to the middle setting....

clockwise = advance timing
counterclockwise = retard timing

oh yea and before you do this look at how far advanced it is from the middle and let us know how it was set, even a photo would be awsome

and I'm guessing this is a new engine so you'll need to set your valve clearance

alright so i have the timing set but still have really bad kick back??? it runs now but like crap so ill have a play with the carby. where abouts do i get the tool to do the valves with??

ok, can you verify with pics or links what stator type you have, ORK or IRK. also what carb do you have? and a pic of the engine from the clutch and front sprocket side(with the magneto cover off)

did you get the engine new and if so where from?

valves can be adjusted with a 9mm spanner and a pair of pointy nose pliers...

from what i gather(if you do have the ORK) is the cdi is the best. or the cam gear sprocket on the crank wasn't put on correctly which advances the cam timing.

kick back on a lifan is a bad thing, before you know it it will have broken kick start gears...

anyways verify some pics for us dude..

it has an ORK, no the engine wasnt new it had been ridden 4 or 5 times out in the bush before i put it in my bike now and ran fine? has new cdi and wiring loom. its just standard card which is a mikuni?

i didnt have the correct coil for the wiring loom and cdi and just used a coil from a IRK( home made job putting it together) and could this be stuffing it around?

yeah it ran fine in its old bike then when i swapped it over it runs like shit? yeah ill got an OKO 26mm :)

this is a good demo on starting a bike ,, take note

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MLV0pvacJgc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MLV0pvacJgc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

thanks snitchy iv got it down pat but is there anything elde that could possibly be making the engine kick back like this?

and should the lifan 150 have a bright spark all the way through the kick?

I've told yo it's the timing... did you even check? even if you kick it like a noob it shouldn't kick back if you have the timing set right

ive set the timing and played around with it for ages, got it set at 1/4 retard but still kick back, i just orded an OKO 26mm and proper coil so that sould make it run better and easier to tune

grind back the pickup on the outer rotor, they are way to advanced, allmost 10 degrees to far.

alright if worse comes to worse ill do that but never heard of doing it with the lifan 150, i agree with sean01 with the yx

Kick it till ya break the kicker gears and cases then.

well that is a very helpful solution...

something about you yanks that just like to destroy things

Latest posts

Back