Missing nut, still safe to ride?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaymz

Reaction score
hey guys,

Was out riding last evening, and managed to lose a bolt from the front fork clamps.

After spending an hour walking the track i took i have not been able to locate it (yeah i know it was a long shot!)

So the question is, until the new nut arrives, is it still safe to ride around. Or am i risking damage to the bike?

Pic of the missing nut:
azlsz1ax.qn2.jpg

it was designed to have a nut there for a reason. . lf you ride without the head stem nut ,your nuts ,
Something has to hold your frame and forks together.

Yeah don't ride it.
The only thing holding up your front end is the 1 or 2 bottom tripple clamp bolts on each side.

Thanks guys.

Just to clarify the large nut that hold the top of the bearing into the stem is still in place. From what i can see this missing nut just helps retain the top of the clamps to the stem shaft?

In this pic below, the nut shown by the red arrow is still in place and holding fine, and the nut by the green arrow is missing.

iuwhtphp.nnq.png

I wont be riding it till the part arrives just to be extra safe, but looking over it all it appears not to do too much in terms of holding things in place

It is a lot more important than that.

The nut you are missing holds the top tripple clamp to the frame/headstem
So if you ride it like it is (no top nut) you are relying on the bottom tripple clamp bolts holding your forks in/on.
Hit something hard and the fork tubes will move up in your tripples and the front end will suddenly drop

Haha, "mono like a demon" I wish!!

Cheers guys, i figured it was important but it was great to bounce ideas off you all. Tis the only way you learn!

Thanks again for providing such a useful community too :beerchug:

Already ordered one, after re-walking the trail last night! But since i am in NZ i ordered from a local supplier who is going to throw in a sticker kit for free which is nice. The NZ Motor Factory guys are pretty awesome! The Aussie stuff is nice and cheap, but the shipping is what kills it these days!

Just an update so we don't have unfinished threads, the new nut arrived last week and i adjusted it into place. Looks like i was riding the bike for a bit with the nut nearly at the end of it's thread. I had to shift the fork clamps down a bit to get enough bite for the nut to grab the bolt. It is all nice and tight now with now knocks or movement.

All set for a big ride this weekend, going to ride through some old forestry blocks full of rivers and big hills! Should be fun!

Sounds like fun.
Get some pics or videos for us if you can too

Good idea, I have dug out my old camera. Just figuring out the best way to mount it, either side of helmet or somewhere on the bike. Maybe rear facing?

Latest posts

Back