motovert rx mods?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i was to buy a rx 50 would i still be able to do all these mods and were can you get the yx motors and the other stuff

You would be able to do the motor swap but BBKs and BVHs on the 50 would not be worth it.Id also suggest you look into the legalities of going from a 50cc to a 150cc as that is a bloody big jump and im not sure if you would get away with doing the paper work i did or whether you would have to have the bike inspected.

BBKs and BVHs wat are they, im new to the hole modifying pit bikes, im used to riding round next to the onkaparinga river on my tomohawk with a 125cc ducar engine, so i apoligize if i sound like a noob. The rx50cc and rx125cc are exactly the same bike except for the engine and forks from wat ive heard so wouldnt the rego be the same if i was to swap engines

BBK = Big Bore Kit
BVH= Big Valve Head

As for the bikes they do have a few small differences between the 2.Also the 50 can be ridden on a car license where as the 125 requires a bike license.

Here's some tips.

If you buy brand new never registered, do all your modifications/engine swap BEFORE you get it blue slipped, So that the new engine number of say the 150cc engine gets printed on your rego, Bam Done.

A positive with the RX is very few people know what engine brand they came out with standard,
What the bike looks likes standard
How well they go on the road,

There's simply not enough of them on the road for police/rta to reference what is standard on these bikes to what is aftermarket.

so use this to your advantage!

I can definately vouch for what da bomb says,i've been pulled over so many times the last few weeks and none of them even seem to know what there looking at,let alone check the engine numbers anyway.Mine dont match up and touch wood,it has'nt been picked up yet.

Here's some tips.

If you buy brand new never registered, do all your modifications/engine swap BEFORE you get it blue slipped, So that the new engine number of say the 150cc engine gets printed on your rego, Bam Done.

A positive with the RX is very few people know what engine brand they came out with standard,
What the bike looks likes standard
How well they go on the road,

There's simply not enough of them on the road for police/rta to reference what is standard on these bikes to what is aftermarket.

so use this to your advantage!

Be careful if you do go ahead and do that though for a few reasons.Firstly there is a paper trail on the bike with frame and engine numbers recorded of what the bike was built with and then what it is registered with.Secondly if you are involved in an accident where public property or pedestrians are injured and your bike details dont quite match up not only will you find yourself with no insurance making you liable for all damages including hospital expenses for everyone involved but after your recovery you will face some pretty heavy charges aswell.
My advice would be if you want more CCs is to cough up the extra coin at purchase time and do what i did and go the legal route.It was very easy to do and will make selling the bike at a later date easier aswell as it is all legit where doing the dodgy wont.

Thats a buzz kill.

Very few insurance companys have heard of the Manufactured FYM.

Id also like to see where a RX does damage to something..... and then comes off best....
Pretty much the only way a RX is going to be involved in a accident is someone hitting you...

So what ur saying is if you go to get ur bike blue slipped for the first time with a different engine that it came with, they will say hold on that's not the engine it came with? It just doesn't happen, what gets put on your rego papers is what engine number it has when it gets blue slipped.

Thats a buzz kill.

Very few insurance companys have heard of the Manufactured FYM.

Id also like to see where a RX does damage to something..... and then comes off best....
Pretty much the only way a RX is going to be involved in a accident is someone hitting you...

So what ur saying is if you go to get ur bike blue slipped for the first time with a different engine that it came with, they will say hold on that's not the engine it came with? It just doesn't happen, what gets put on your rego papers is what engine number it has when it gets blue slipped.

There are infact a couple of insurance companies that will cover 125 RXs but if you do swap the engine out for something bigger and its done on the hush then you have an accident they will not only void your insurance leaving you responsible for all damages you MAY face criminal charges.
So lets say for whatever reason you have a get off and you go one way and the bike goes another.Then the bike takes out a pedestrian.Normally the injuries sustained by yourself and the pedestrian would be covered by the 3rd party insurance that comes with your rego(in S.A. anyway).However if the engine number and capacity dont match whats listed in the system via the ADR build info,again the 3rd party portion of your rego will not cover it leaving you liable for all costs.
Now i infact was knocked off my bike a few years ago due to no fault of my own.After the accident i required surgery to fix a shattered collarbone via pins and a bone graft which surgery alone cost almost 12k.Add to that the hospital stay, follow up treatments,physio etc and before you know it you are in a shit load of debt.

As for you saying they wont know the engine has been changed if you rego it for the first time with the larger cc motor think about this.
If i went out and bought a brand new V6 commodore and then went and swapped the motor to a V8 before it was registered dont you think motor reg would now?The vin number the car is built with records all the information required to allow them to know every detail about the car.
Have you ever rang an insurance company for a quote and they ask the vin number of the car?That so they know EXACTLY what the car is model wise,engine displacement wise etc etc.

All im saying is big bore kits, fine no prob as they usually dont have a marked dispalcement on the barrel.But in MY opinion if you plan on doing engine swaps i recomend you do it through the legal channels as i was surprised how easy it really is to do and with the amount of times ive been pulled over on my RX cause the cops want to have a look over it it pays to be legal so you know you will ride away without a defect or having your bike impounded.

you cant relate a commodore to a chinese motorcycle.

Very few, if any cops KNOW where to find your engine number on these bikes, and if they do find it they WILL reference it to your rego papers.

You've over exaggerated the whole subject.

Bottom line is, if you crash your RX you don't belong on the road...

you cant relate a commodore to a chinese motorcycle.

Very few, if any cops KNOW where to find your engine number on these bikes, and if they do find it they WILL reference it to your rego papers.

You've over exaggerated the whole subject.

Bottom line is, if you crash your RX you don't belong on the road...

Quite clearly you know very little about what details are tied in with a vin number.Whether it be a commodore or a chinese motorcycle they all still have to meet ADR requirements and the vehicles information lodged to be a registered vehicle and on our roads.With that said all manufacturing build info ie:vehicle type,displacement,number of cylinders etc etc etc are all known by entering a vin number into the government data base of vehicles.VIN standing for Vehicle Identification Number, which in cars would nominate the model and year of car,the engine size and so forth.The same goes for motor cycles.

Whether a cop would know what and where to check is irrelivant because if you are involved in a serious accident its not just an average cop who inspects the bike it is accident investigation,and believe you me they know whether a brake light has been activated prior to the bulb smashing so finding the build information on a car/bike and comparing it to the mangled wreck is an easy task for them.

As for your last quote,quite clearly you think you are invisible because shit does happen, whether it be your fault or not, accidents do happen hence them being called accidents.It only takes a split second for you or somebody else on the road to loose concentration and before you know it you are sliding down the tarmac on your back thinking how the f_ck did that happen.
So take my advice and stay legal or dont and do it the Dabomb way thats really up to you to decide.

don't listen to this fool, if your so worried about being pulled over and defect for having a different motor in it wheres the fun in riding?

IF your sliding down the tarmac on RX you would have to be the worst rider, these bikes are the lightest, underpowered and you can put your feet out IF YOU ARE GOING TO FALL OFF.

For the record, bikes aren't nearly at all targeted like cars are which works in our favor for modifications.

Dabomb, you havent got a chance if you get in a serious acco..
and by serious i mean in an acco where they(police) are unsure of the driver at fault.

trust me, they will take yr bike away look over it hundreds of times, sht maybe even strip it to bits untill they are happy..they will do the same with all other vehicles included in the acco..

now also all i can say going by your remarks to falling off (QUOTE--and you can put your feet out IF YOU ARE GOING TO FALL OFF) is obviously you ride like a ***** cause if you can put yr feet down to help you not fall off at 80+k's then you my friend are a legend

and by serious i mean in an acco where they(police) are unsure of the driver at fault.

trust me, they will take yr bike away look over it hundreds of times, sht maybe even strip it to bits untill they are happy..they will do the same with all other vehicles included in the acco..

now also all i can say going by your remarks to falling off (QUOTE--and you can put your feet out IF YOU ARE GOING TO FALL OFF) is obviously you ride like a ***** cause if you can put yr feet down to help you not fall off at 80+k's then you my friend are a legend

Some people are obviously "expert" riders Sean and seem to know EVERYTHING.

All i was trying to say was that i recently changed my 125cc to a 150cc and went through the correct channels making it a legally regoed 150.I was completely thrown by how easy it was to do and after going through this process im dumb founded as to why people still choose to go down the "dodgey" route as in reality its no harder to do the same thing and have the paperwork legitimately match.

If i have a serious accident on my rx, im not going to give a flock how the bike turns out....

I made no speed reference to putting your feet down a 80km/h and if it came to it, if i was going to fall off the first thing id do was make contact with the ground with my foot before you loose complete control and hit your head, in saying that its really hard to fall off a RX period, they deaccelerate really quickly due to there high gearing and small wheels, are low to the ground and are fairly dam stable with big tires.

mate you make it sound like you would have full control over whats going to happen next in an accident...

so put it this way... your riding down the road say above 60k's, you swerve to miss a dog or cat or wateva and in doing this you some how lose control and run smack bang into the side of a BMW...

what happens next when your bike is found to be modified above the ADR specs?

if its above ADR specs no worries, they don't like it when its below bro.

How about this, get back to the garage and unmodify the so so illegal parts?

back to my question:

yea had to change the rear wheel on the rx coz spokes snapped and it was cheaper to buy a new rim and rear sprocket than buy motovert spokes and relace

the problem with changing motors that i can see is that because they sit at high rpm constantly when cruising, this can cause engines to die correct?
i do 80 km round trips and usually sit on the limiter at 95kph which i dont think is too healthy for the motor
i would rather a 160 and have enough grunt so i can sit at halfway to redline at 100 kays
with this in mind which engine would you guys suggest?
yx160 yx150 lifan150 155z 155zs 140zs or these new 175zs

i think youll find its not a limiter , its actually on the verg of valve bouncing..

go the lifan150 mate... straight swap over

and dabomb... your a wanker...you cant be told, you obviously know everything..

yea makes funny sounds lol so i just assumed it was limiter

i have been told that the lifan 150s break the kick start and a couple of other probs

the 155z vibrates too much

and not sure bout long term probs with the other motors mentioned

After having the lifan 150 in my RX for a few hundred kays now I've gotta give it my vote, heaps of usable grunt down low and a decent gearing for higher speed cruising, I'm running 17/37 and it will cruise easily at 80-90 and will go 110 when I want it too.
My last motor was the jialing with a 146 bbk and ported bvh etc but this 150 just eats it.
I haven't had any issues with the kick start, I gues it's just a matter of kicking it over properly.
Don't be freaked by the wiring issues, pretty easy when you have a good look at it and the stator mod has been charging nicely.

My motor is also all legit in my RX aswell, no point in doing all that work just to risk it all everytime you ride it. If it's not legal in your bike you wind up being no better off in an accident than those kids belting up and down muddy mini's road.

Latest posts

Back