My ramp!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MITTZ

Reaction score
hey guys and girls,

i was bored today and i realized that i have a bunch of old sheets of chip board in my shed! so i decided to make a little ramp. i cut out the sides and 2 end pices tonight and will hopefully finish it in the next couple days! its about 2 foot high and 3 1/2 foot long although it has a little flat bit at the end (so it wont flip when i hit it :eek: ) which maqkes it 4 foot long and 2 foot wide.

heres the ruff idea which i threw together in paint with the side cut off just so you get the idea:
myramp.jpg

it will have more supports for the ply wood surface then what is shown in the pic. and i will also have a dirt down ramp.

so i was just wondering what thickness of ply i should use for the surface, and if anyone has got any usefull input like how i can make it better ect. please post!

also i am aware its small and its just a starting point (i will make a bigger one eventualy) and the reason i made a ramp is so i can adjust the gap easily! so dont post if your just going to pay it out!

ill get some propper pics up of my progress soon

cheers, Andrew

Needs some cross bracing but otherwise it looks sweet, but I wouldn't use chip board :|

YOU HAVE FAITH IN THE WOOD U USING???
gee you should just use cardboard.....

Im using 6mm ply, but its only temporary untill my mate brings over the marine ply.

Does the job well and doesnt look like its gonna break.

DSCN5253.jpg

Last edited:
thanks flarry, i was thinking 9mm ply would that be ok?

also whats wrong with chip board? and when i said old sheets i dont mean there decomposing or anything and its 17mm thick with lots of bracing!

owell i guess ill just finish it and see if it works!

Hey I would use sheet metal the ramp me and mates were hitting cracked the ply. But that s just my opinion i got the sheet metal cheap because it had surface rust on it :D But yea il get a photo of my ramp and show you. The bracing is like flarrys.

true umm dont u hav to do sumthin to the ply to make it grip? i was thinlin of usin metal grate type stuff that i can get from work;)

yeh sum1 else said to do that, an chipboards not really strong like the other types of wood u can use i wouldnt leave it or use it if its been out in the rain it tends to go s***ty

na, its been in my shed and seems strong enough for the little ramp im makingpluss it will have alot of bracing, hopefully ill get alot of it done tomorrow after school and ill get some pics up!

Dont use chipboard dude it wont work itll collapse if ya gunna do it do it properly. I wouldnt even use chipboard as a ramp to put a bike on my ute lol.

Yer I'd just get a small bit of ply if I were you, its really cheap, the big bit I got for my ramp was only 30 bucks and Ive nearly got enough for 2 ramps my size.

ur front wheel will just go straight thru chip board its crap wood, go hit up a construction site bins for ply

Latest posts

Back