Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spent a bit of time on the DS80 the other day and a little today
i took the L/H numberplate off and cleaned up some scratches, shaved them back with a razor blade.
and replaced the black paintouts with some Blue vinyl, then made up another 80 decal to go on it like the one on the other side.

and i'm toying with the idea of making my own stickers for the tank.
i want them to look OEM style, but only have the Bright Blue vinyl.
here are a couple of idea's i've had

nah, trick photography....
they always look better in pics compared to real life!

it is still a bit ratty in area's, got a bit more cleaning up/polishing/painting to do yet!

a couple of other shots,
i resprayed the kick stand

cleaned up and painted and fitted the standard chain guard off my spares bike
and fixed up the broken chain adjusters, both M6 threads had been snapped off before i bought the DS.
i cut the rest of the threads back and welded some high tensile M8 threads on, so now that problem is fixed
the plastic swingarm ends are back on and a are fitted with a couple of nyloc nuts

and the rough looking R/H numberplate is on it's way to being fixed.
i have plastic welded where the plate had melted on the exhaust.
and since i've deleted the oil tank and pump, i have welded up the hole in the plate for the Oil Level Sight plug.
once it's finished you'll never know it was there.

the muffler that i previously made sat a little low, so i have cat and shut another piece to extend it back and up a touch, and cut and rewelded the mounting bracket too.
just need some minor finishing and repainting when i have the heatproof paint out again for respraying the chappy exhaust.

i'll make up a set for you if you want russ ? doesn't take too long to do.
i have heaps of vinyl left over, it hasn't bubbled either, the tank is a 1/4 full, 3/4 fumes !

thinking i might make up another couple of styles, and pick what looks best
i might even grab another metre of the lighter blue and go full Original look during the week?

the DS seat is heading over to the trimmers sometime today for a retrim.

Not sure if it was just me but couldn't get on to the sight lately.
hey Craig that would be awesome if you could. I would pay you of cause. Thinking of getting Justin to make me another kdx sticker
but with holes in it this time. Maybe some new tyres for it too as I have burnt out the last ones

yeah the site has been down for a couple of days, since saturday morning ?

and yeah, too easy,
i will have a play over the next few days with stickers, and post up some pics here.

Just read through your thread Craig, that things awesome. I think you should have your own spot on Miniriders home page called (Craig's Corner) and have a big list of all your crazy builds, Including that home made dyno of yours!
(That i haven't had any updates on in a while?)

Well done mate! :)

thanks Corey,
yeah, my biggest problem is that i have too many projects happening at once.
the dyno is on the back burners atm...

i picked up the DS80 seat today,
its had the seat base replaced with a better one i had off the spares bike.
and has been retrimmed in blue leather, the chunks missing out the foam repaired etc, and i made up a new grab strap too and fitted that to the seat bracket.
i had them make up a new bar pad cover as well, while they had the seat, in the same blue leather.

it feels very nice to sit on now, and matches the new blue stickers

here is the seat before retrim, the base was a bit warped, and had a crack in it too (bottom edge near the bracket)
i fitted the replacement base to the bike and heated it where it needed, then bent it in/out to suit the shape of the plastics perfectly (before having it retrimmed)

and a picture taken of the bike tonight, i will get a better one in sunlight tomorrow.

yeah i'm due for a new phone in a month or so.
this Galaxy S3 hasnt been the same after our bali holiday last year.
it got condensation inside it, and fogged the lense a little, also with me making things etc, it ends up in my pocket with a heap of metal filings from the angle grinder etc, so the outside of the lense is pretty scratched up too.
i am hard on phones,
i have clipped the cover on this one a few times with the angle grinder, and also on the 7" sander with a 36 grit disc spinning on the end
the little dark specs you can see in the first couple off pics are from when i weld, and the sparks of it burn through my pants/pockets etc.
they are melted pits in the lense, lol.

Wow I really like this build/restoration. I love cleaning up stuff and making it like new. Well done man

thanks mate,
it's a pitty it will be up for sale soon, it has been a very reliable bike for me.

a couple more pics, taken in daylight (overcast)
now i need to detail/paint/polish the rest of the bike, and come up with some good looking stickers.

and the new bar pad cover, the old one had faded badly, and is a lot darker than the new one.

Latest posts

Back