Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i might be when it's finished ?

but like most things i sell,
i go over them detailing/cleaning/painting/fixing etc etc until it is pretty much perfect,
the best it's ever looked/been.

and then when i advertise it, i wonder why i didn't do it earlier ???.....

i stripped back the spare DS80 handlebars today, and resprayed them the original gold colour
etch primed, silver metallic base coat, gold, then a few coats of clear.
they come up pretty good.
also stripped back and sprayed the clutch lever perch satin black too while i was at it.
the photo's don't do it justice.

a long way is a understatement mate i hope your proud as f@ck of your achievement it looks brand new now and looked very used and abused when you first got it

i have almost finished the old melted side panel too, after plastic welding it up
it's sitting loosely on the bike atm.

the other day i made up a new link rod for the rear shock linkage, its 20mm longer, so it should lift the rear about 50mm
i'll be fitting it in the next couple of days, if it's not too hot here, forecast is 35 degrees tomorrow, 38 thurday, 35 friday

lol,
thanks, i don't think it will be selling before Xmas though
mates '83 RM80 will be up for sale too soon.
he is going to send me pics once it is back together, he took the fender i made, the seat i retrimmed, and r/h engine cover from me today.
the waterpump on the cover was leaking, i had to replace the impellor shaft and seal, took all of 5 mins to do, :cheeky-smiley-031:

Great job on the bars ! They look top notch!! what do i have to do to paint like that?!?! lol!

cheers Blender,
it's just practice, lol

the paint was in a pressure pack, Dupli-color engine enamels. (i usually use VHT though)
spray it so the last few coats go on wet, but doesn't run, and doesn't leave any overspray.
keep overlapping the paint over the last area you sprayed as you go.

yea, thats exactly what my old man said when he was first teaching me spary painting. sparying wet off the gun, without puttin too much on as to get runs, etc. with the bars on my atomik i did a 3 coats of etch primer steadily adding more paint for each coat, and 2 coats of primer, and 3 coats of black. i did no undercoat because the primer/etch was in grey anyway. but did get a bit of overspray, damn cylinder shapes, its hard to avoid it when spraying!

etch doesn't need to fully cover,
as long as it's got 75% coverage, you can paint straight over the top with your colour
once it's dry that is, you just need to give the etch a light scuff with some grey scotchbrite first.

if you give it 3 coats of etch, then that is enough to call it primer.

you don't want the paint to be on too thick, it takes too long to dry, then it can cause shrinkback and even fry ups as it drys

i see now. well the bars are on my bike and they came up resonably well , a few dry spots here and there, but not too noticeable! but yeah, practice makes perfect!!

aah ok, no probs.
yeah you need to share it around a bit,
cant remember how many you have to give out before you can give it to the same person again ?

Latest posts

Back