Need help SSR125 problems

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSR-125

Reaction score
Yeah that gasket is fine, I would be getting the jet kit as you probably find you will need to do some tinkering, it can't hurt to have them there ready. What size carb did you have and ran **** how?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

So you went from a 22 to a 22? What brand was your first 22, did you try to re-jet that one. Are you sure you didn't have air leaks, exhaust leak, blocked jets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

what # Pilot jet is fitted to the Mikuni 22mm that is on the bike now?

i have found with most of the 125's with the Mikuni 22's i've worked on, need a #20 Pilot jet to make them usable.
but a couple of modifed ones, (ported, bigger exhaust etc) have needed #22 Pilot jets

Last edited:
i needed a new carb cause it just all was a mess. i went with the mikuni 22 and bought the jet kit which has pilot jets of 17.5, 20 and comes with mains of 95,100, 105, 110. im stock motor however have an exhaust ect. i hope the #20 works or else that would be a waste of money.. my engine isn't ported so hopefully the 20 will do it. what size main jet to go along with it?

@ 8r3nd0 yes i went from the stock 22mm which was a keihin brand i believe? its a stock jap carb. I needed a new carb cause everything was messed up and everything so i bought this which included everything bolt on however i need the bike to not cut out and idle good. Should i throw in the #20 jet as soon as i get it? if so what size main jet do i run? should be here friday

start off by fitting a brand new spark plug,( NGK ) so you can check it easily when you go to tune it.

fit the #20 Pilot jet before you bolt the carby on,
you will have to tune it to suit the new Pilot jet first, then see how it goes.
raise the idle speed a touch with the bike running and warm,
adjust the mixture screw in or out till it runs the smoothest etc,
then drop the idle speed back down to normal again.

with the Main jet the #95 could be ok ?

once you are happy with the idle speed etc,
take the bike out for a ride, (you may need to give the mixture screw a fine adjustment either way, in or out.)

then give the bike a good run up through the gears,
and into the higher revs, (in 3rd or 4th preferably) the cut the engine/turn it off, and pull the spark plug out and check the colour.
look at the porcelain insulator inside the spark plug, if it's white go up 2x Main jet sizes and try it again.
if it is black, go down 2x Main jet sizes and try it again.

I just fitted a 22mm Mikuni to my chopper it has a Lifan 125 in it. This engine is not stock but have put a #20 pilot jet and a 100 main jet in a stock 125 before with the mixture screw out 1 1/4 turns and needle clip 2nd from the bottom and it may be worth trying the 105 main jet also. I fitted a 22.5 pilot and a 105 main jet to the chopper and it runs well just need to fine tune with the needle settings now. I hope this helps you.

thanks for the great help guys. The carb will be here tomorrow and the jetting kit as well. i just hope a #20 pilot works because like i said the kit includes pilots of 17.5, 20 and mains of 95,100, 105, 110. When i receive the carb, im going to put a #20 pilot and a #95 main. Which way do i turn idle mix screw? Also i already have a ngk that i haven't put on yet so that's all taken care of as well. im not good with carbs lol and don't know how to adjust the clip.. for now im going to put the #95 and the #20 and im praying that works cause that's the highest pilot screw.

I will let you know all know tomorrow! This bike has been sitting for 4-5 months so hopefully everything works out.. because its been sitting an recommendations? look at certain things? I miss riding this thing haha
-Chris

no effect on carby (the oil cooler)

if its been sitting for a while and wont start then clean the carby (jets and passages) or maybe just new fuel

So i finally got everything in the mail yesterday and just put everything on. I have a 20 pilot and a 95 main. I put everything on and turned fuel on and its leaking out of the carb from somewhere becuase the air filter is dripping has and where the pet**** is, theres fuel there too. Need help! i haven't started the bike yet however thats the issue im having right now

i don't want to mess with the floats and brake the carb. the fuel drips when i turn fuel on and then stops. it comes out of the on/off fuel thing. the bike wont start though. what is it? coil?

sounds like dirt or something ? in the fuel if both the fuel tap is leaking and the carby floods.

fuel tank needs to come off, and be drained and blown out with compressed air.
while it's off, remove the fuel tap and clean it up/out.
does the tap have screws holding it together?

once they are all clean, refit them to the bike.

now take the carby off, remove the fuel bowl, slide the pin out that the float pivots on
and lift the float off the carby, taking care not to loose the needle,( from the needle and seat)
blow through the fuel inlet tube into the carby, there could be dirt in it if the carby floods.
once you are happy it's all clean then reassemble it and refit it back on the bike.

i would be fitting a fuel filter between the tank and the carby, and new fuel hose too while you are at it.

when you fitted the new Pilot and Main jets, did the fuel bowl go back on easily?
you may have jammed/forced it on, and bent the float pivot arms?

get some photos up when you pull the carby apart, it may make diagnosis easier for us.

The bike starts which is a good sign.. i was really careful. i was thinking about moving the needle up.. to more lean. I will post pictures soon. The carb is brand new so doesnt have any dirt but i feel as if it is a float problem. Im scared to damage it. I have never made or touched an idle or air/mixture screw by the way.. So my plan was to pull off carb, take the pin and move it up 2 more to leaner. I am confused about what i should do with the air/mixture screw ect. so frustrating

the mixture screw should be preset to 2 full turns out.
this is a good starting point.

you will need to turn the idle speed up a little bit, (1/2 to 3/4 of a turn inwards),
then tune the mixture screw underneath the carby, so that the engine runs at the fastest/smoothest speed.
adjust the mixture screw a 1/4 of a turn at a time in or out, and see if the idle speed increases.
once happy that you have it running at the best adjustment,
then you can adjust the idle speed back down again.

what do i use to adjust the needle clip up or down?

Latest posts

Back