Need help SSR125 problems

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got the needle. im really starting to give up with this bike man. i put the needle back in and now im have extra wire in my thottle and all my throttle isnt there. just 10 minutes ago it was like 100% perfect.

i finally fixed the throttle. but heres some pics if that helps.. im wondering why theirs that stem.. am i missing something?

So im guessing this is the idel screw..
A6C10F68-4686-4DEA-B7C7-0003731D90DD-2287-000000D01891ACE2_zps10d618ba.jpg

This is the air mixture
5B2CF909-C569-491F-9A55-DC62786DBAC4-2287-000000D01DA11631_zps5fcef4e5.jpg

What is this purge valve?
96431BA7-8AD4-478A-BAEE-67FCE0D73B4D-2287-000000D022665F13_zpsb7ca6ff0.jpg

Are the lines correct?
8EEDEE74-52DD-4A6F-AEA3-3D8A3C690844-2287-000000D02806B3BA_zps332230b6.jpg

And finally here she is...
D8E5F06C-EEE6-44F3-A4FD-406453BF1B0E-2287-000000D0135ACBC2_zps865f12f6.jpg

C29643D3-259A-45C1-AA39-07AC811CAC25-2287-000000D02F41A63F_zpsf2b102bd.jpg

got the bike to kick over but right when it starts it shuts off and if i give it throttle or anything it will just shut off. theres not even anytime to give it throttle cause it shuts off. any ideas? also when i kick it over sounds like a lot of air but im not sure if thats because of the air filter

Last edited:
going by your pics the bike would never start and run..
there is no fuel going into the carby's fuel bowl.
you have the fuel tap/filter/hose running into a vent !!??
just let that white/opaque hose hang down to vent fumes from the carby

the 1/4" brass barb to the right of the vent, is the fuel inlet to the carby.
run some hose from the bottom of the filter to that barb.

the plunger is the choke, up is on, down is off.

and finally,
you are missing a plastic insulator/spacer between the carby and the intake manifold.
this will give you a vacuum leak, and the bike wont run too well, if at all.

and some people cant work out how some pictures can help with diagnosing problems !

i think you are now well on your way to getting the bike running sweet SSR-125 !!!!

and try to keep all your questions etc to one thread too, otherwise it can be hard to work out what you're up to.

cheers, craig

did you suss out the air sound when trying to kick it over too?
take the air filter off, and check where the bottom of the slide (cylinder that moves up and down) is sitting

if it is sitting 1/4" up off the bottom of the carby floor,
then it may have the idle speed screw wound in too much?
unscrew it, until the slide stops moving down.
now turn that idle speed screw in until the slide moves up about 1/8" and leave the idle speed screw there for the moment

if the carby slide is sitting very high in the carby,
the carby slide (the cylinder where the needle sits in) may be facing the wrong way ? 180 degrees out.

just unscrew the top of the carby again,
lift it up a bit, and turn the slide (cylinder) around to where it will line up with the idle speed screw etc.
the side with a small notch at the bottom sits on the idle speed screw side.
the slot will sit on the flywheel side of the bike

wow. so much to concentrate on haha! once again i appreciate your help! I'm running into all sorts of problems right now.. im running way to rich. i never received a spacer so i need to look into that.. im confused about the set up of the fuel line because i thought the way i havee it is correct... the bike now ran and would idle high. no matter if i turned the idle screw in or out it wouldnt affect anything. i ran into a huge problem just 10-15 minutes ago and im really nervous. i kicked over the bike and it ran not good but it was idling ect. i gave it gas and then the exhaust spit a fire ball and the cdi box was smoking like you would blow out a candle.. no idea what this means. im in a huge mess right now and getting so aggravated

should i buy a 6 pin performance cdi box and a new coil? spark plug is good. just was worried when it smoked cause i felt as if i blew something inside of it. just really nervous.. i turned the air mixture screw all the way in then out 2 1/2 turns out. Right now im running a #20 pilot and a 100 main jet. Like i said it idled funky and when i tinkered with the screw there wasnt a change. also the bike would run for 30 seconds to a minute then just shut off. what is wrong with this bike? im just so confused and so done with it and dont know where to begin.

it is sitting inside the carb good but i feel as if not all the way because if it was in all the way then the idle screw would be working..

can you tell me how the lines actually go then? the bike started and ran but wasnt a smooth idle.. if that line was all backwards and messed up then it wouldnt have started

ok,don't stress !
i will help you out.

here is a picture of the same china Mikuni you have ?
note the black fuel hose is running to the bigger brass barb on the carby (R/H side near the airfilter), this is the fuel inlet, run you hose to there, the same as the pic.
the pinkish vent hose can just be left hanging down off the carby, it is only a vent.

the pic below is what the plastic insulator/spacer looks like-
you need one to stop any vacuum leaks, otherwise the mixture will be lean, and you'll end up burning your valves.

here is an easy way around running this insulator/spacer, a temporary fix until you buy the correct part.
you could do it yourself if you are handy with a box cutter.

get some 1.6mm thick gasket paper or some cardboard from the side of a cereal box,
remove your intake manifold off the head, and carby,
next, trace around the outside of the intake manifold, and mark inside the 2x bolt holes onto the carboad, then cut it out, a hole punch may be easier to cut out the 2x bolt holes.
now fit the cardboard onto the intake side on the manifold, and place the 2x bolts though the holes where the carby sits on.
gently press on the cardboard where the inner 24mm/26mm? hole is, and run your finger around the edge of the hole, (inside the manifold)
this will mark the inside diameter onto the cardboard.
now take the cardboard of the manifold and cut out the inner 24mm/26mm? hole.
you should be left with a gasket, a bit like the green one pictured below, but the holes will be offset to one side.
then make another 2x gaskets.

once you have 3x gaskets, fit them all inbetween the carby and manifold, and bolt it up firm (dont overtighten them)

Last edited:
yeah, it may have started, but, you are filling the carby from a vent hole.
after a few seconds, the carby will start to overflow, as the vent doesnt have a valve to stop the fuel coming out when it is full.

with it overflowing like that, it will seem to be extremely rich, as the carby is way overfull!

ohh i see whats going on here.. so i have the line that comes from the tank that is suppose to go to the thing that i basically have wide open right now and the one that i have going to it right now is just suppose to have a line on it.. i will need to get one of those spacers soon. what about the cdi box as i told you what happened.. the air/ mixture screw is 2.5 turns out and a 100 main and a 20 pilot sound good? i should make the lines where there need to go and that might help quite of bit lol.. your a great help man and i hope everything will work out in the end with this bike.. i owe you but we got to get it going 100% first haha

im going to make the gasket for now.. however im still worried about when i spit the fire ball and then the wire started smoking... my needle setting is in middle setting. i need to make the lines go to the right places.. its just something that i got confused with. im good with bikes but a carb is my weakest strength i suck with them but your teaching me man and hopefully i master it soon. is the 100 main fine? spitting fire and having the bike die down right after it does it shows a sign of richness obviously but just not sure if i fried the box or not.

the cdi smoke may have been due to a bad connection?
unplug it and give the terminal a spray with some WD40/CRC and reconnect them.

once you have the carby gasket and fuel line all on the correct spots try it out and post up your results.
the jetting should be good, or close enough to be able to ride it ?

the air/fuel mixture screw, i would have it 1.5 - 2 turns out,
with it set to 2.5 turns out, it may be a touch lean?

the fireball out the exhaust was due to filling the carby and exhaust with fuel.
having the fuel line filling the carby through the vent is not a good idea!

you will get there soon, you are not too far off !

ohh i see what you mean. alright well tomorrow im going to spray the cdi box connections with wd40 and reconnect them. i thought because of the smoke i might have damaged the cdi box which i may have i dont know yet. my air screw is at the bottom of the carb underneath so i have to take it off and screw it all the way in then out like 1.5 or so. should i stay with a 100 main or a 95? the needle setting is in the middle. it should be fine however after work tomorrow i will make that gasket and spray the cdi and adjust the screw, hopefully it works out i will keep you updated with results tomorrow! thanks craig

ok, sounds good.
keep the 100 main in for the time being.

Latest posts

Back