Nuts YX 150 re-build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuts 4 50s

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My engine since late has been blowing white/Blue smoke. I know this means tuning/Burning oil. Maybe why my oil goes bad quickly.

So after hours of tuning, i have come to the conclusion that i might aswell pull the top end down. I one head was off i discovered that my valves and piston were very sooty.

Also after taking off my stator cover i have found that my flywheel, flywheel shaft (dont know the proper name) and inside was all mouldy and weathered. As the people that assembled the engine had decided not to put a gasket in. :(

So ill get all that cleared up and give her a much needed re-build.

VVV Photos VVV

Heres one of the corroded stator, Does anyone know if that flywheel/IRK is stock?????
IMG_4686.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4689.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

Thats about it. I'm starting the Top end build tomorrow. :)

Yeah it's stock ... Clean it up with a brass wire brush and wet/dry paper ... That's a classic example of how un water-proof the ignitions are on stock Chinga's ...

Yeah it's stock ... Clean it up with a brass wire brush and wet/dry paper ... That's a classic example of how un water-proof the ignitions are on stock Chinga's ...

Yeah i wasn't that suprised when i saw it. Im guessing it would be a pretty common problem, seeing as there wasn't a gasket.

Honda doesn't use a gasket either (though the Piranha/YX's I build come with one), and all the stator covers I've seen have a vent hole at the bottom any way. Often a pair. Pop cover and WD-40 after a bath or wet ride.

The 150's often had the inner rotor. Ones that didn't tended to snap the end of the crank off at the timing gear, in these parts.

160 crank is about $70 and adds 4mm stroke, if you're going that deep in to it.
New take-off 60mm top ends should be around any builders shop, cheap. Otherwise the stock jug can be bored for a 61mm Akunar. Case bore is smaller than newer versions, so you'd have to have them bored for a 64mm kit. Right case should be upgraded if going after much more power, too.

Ok so i decided that my yx150 motor was being ignored, so i decided to give here a polish up.

I'm getting this ready to sell, im spending as little as possible to get the best looking bike i can.

My plans consist of:

1.Polishing left and right side cases.
2.Two bros sicker and plastic kit.
3.General cleaning, buffing and painting.
4.Re-Loctite everything
5.Tuning
6.Piston and rings, Rings are practially falling off piston.

Purchased:
1.Gasket set and loctite
2.Polishing kit and tools

Heres some photos:

Top end off and gasket set purchased.
IMG_4714.jpg

Sanded cam cover
IMG_4719.jpg

The start of sanding
IMG_4720.jpg

Brushed metal
IMG_4727.jpg

Polished stator cover
IMG_4729.jpg

IMG_4735.jpg

Cheers i thought it wasn;t bad for a coulple of hours work.

More photos up soon of polished clutch case. :)

Looks good! You should of taken the black off the top of all the fins would of looked good too I reckon. But that could be over kill! :)

Yeah ive already started on the cylinder i think i might leave the head fins though, as it will probably look too overboard as you mentioned.

But yeah i like it so far. Should look good when finished.

Reading your plans of what to do looks good. Not thinking about doing anything with the frame? Like powder coating it? Have you got a picture of the sticker kit your getting?

Hey guys,

So its been awhile since i have updated my motor build, so i thought itmight be time.

After some research i have decided that i need new:

-Piston and rings
-A new selection of oil
-And posibbly give my cylinder a hone

The cylinder still has the healthy 45 degree crosshatch, but may be glazed and also has some carbon on the last 5mm in the bore.

Ive been looking at the flex hone and videos on how to do it.

Ive also bought some paint stripper aswell, and started to strip the clutch side case.

I will get some more photos soon when i get the case stripped and get more when i purchase the new piston. :)

Photo of cylinder up soon aswell to decide if honing is needed.

Latest posts

Back