Oil coolers. Check here FIRST!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It just cools the engine oil, yes you would need more oil. More oil running cooler = longer engine life.

The oil pump on the bike pumps the oil up one of the 4 engine studs , you bypass the oil to go via the oil cooler , thus cools the oil a tad and sends it back into the head, down threw the cam and back out into the motor via the cam chain side.

The whole idea is to keep the oil cooler to prevent damaging the migher "cc" motors, and will generaly help give the motor a longer life expectancey. My mates dont have oil coolers and i do, My bikes head temp is around 92 after some hard riding and 3 of my mates head temps are around the 115-120 range. (Ive tested this many a time with my IR heat gun)

The Engine has it own basic cooling system and thats the fins on the motor... Oil cooler is one step better than fins because its a direct to the source of the heat. It does use the engines oil, and depending on the size of the oil cooler means you have to add a certain amout of oil, normaly around 100ml extra.

adobeuserar8.gif

driftbarpg2.png

Last edited:
thanks eichkey i know that cooler oil means better engine life an so on i really wanted to know were the oil runs around the engine so thanks for the info
an know i know to put in about 1100-1200 max oil so thanks again

I had a look at the new "outlaw 140" yesterday at 50's HQ and it runs twin oil coolers in the tank shrounds like a water cooled bike. If you can get 2 smaller oil coolers you should be able to get a hose shop to swage some bangos to make the right sized lines to the coolers.

I have been pondering this on a 110 for some time now. The only thin is if after you shut the bike off, is the oil going to stay in the coolers or drain back into the crank case? If it drains back then there is going to be a dry spell that the top end/crank(depending on where the oil is taken from) is going to be running in until the oil is pumped through all that space in the coolers then to the engine. If you design it to where the oil will remain in the coolers than go as big as you want as long as there isnt going to be too much restriction.

ive noticed alot of ppl are changing there oil coolers or mounting them in different places why is this ?? is there a problem with the place were the stock oil cooler sits???

nah divy, its just on the big bikes the have the radiator and then like fins on both sides, thinking of mounting 2 oil coolers were the fins would be (between the tank and the plsatic)

How do install a billet oil cooler?

I have a terraMoto with a pro engine. I am not quite sure of how to install my oil cooler. Does any one have any step by step instructions or images i can use.

Thanks for the Help.

Its an after market off eBay, cost me about 70 bucks

If its the one from DHZ you will have plenty of problems fitting it IMO these are designed for a factory drilled and tapped case direct into the oil pump of a Lifan engine. If it is designed for aftermarket fit up it should come with a fitting kit of some description. Get in touch with the seller ASAP.

Yeh i did get it from dhz. i will inquire about a fitting kit. Does the fitting kit allow you to run it to the head of the engine instead of the case?( i am new to oil coolers)

Thanks for your help

thats the idea

normally the aftermarket kits come with a sandwich plate with oil fittings on it

hey while where on this subject does the motor perform better having the cooled oil run into the case or the head.

i am not sure about performing better (in terms of speed)but it is meant to increase the life of your engine by reducing the heat.

Your engine will run a bit cooler which should equal more power with correct carby tuning (i doubt that you will feel it but the theroy is correct). I would not consider a oil cooler to be a performance mod but a nesessisity if you are going to do other mods or ride very hard.

The oil cooler should work better if fitted to the case (thats why the factory put them there) but will still work plumbed to the head. The aftermarket style fit uses worm style clamps which i think look pretty crappy.

If anybody has done a aftermarket oil filter it would be good if you could post some pics.

The Billet oil cooler helps in the smooth circulation of oil all throughout the motor parts.

Oil cooled engines,withour oil cooler

I was lloking at getting one of the Oil cooled lifan 140cc's, but I dont have any where to mount the oil cooler etc, and i cbf makin something that dont look shitdy. So anyone know if you can run them without them?

Latest posts

Back