Oil coolers. Check here FIRST!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run your bike hard for 30 minutes and lick the oil cooler with your tounge then you will know if it is needed.

The 3rd degree burns to your tounge are a result of the heat being removed from the engine and engine oil.

A 140cc is a "heavy modded engine" as it has been stroked and bored out from its "original" 50cc design.

It is just plain dumb to run without it

What do you expect from very hot oil going through metal? I would get the bracket welded back on for the second time but imo its just a matter of time before it snaps off again.

dude im with the guys telling u to put it bak on. I wouldnt ride my 525sx without a radiator. But anyway, if u want to experiment (we al do at tyms) atleast run an oil line instead of plugging up the holes...u need to keep the oil flowing...keep us updated

I'll see if mine snaps off for the second time too, I used bad metal for the bracket but I got a proffesional to weld it back and the weld is really good, it only vibrates very very little when its idling, it used to shake like mad I think thats what snapped it off along with the weld being shite.

I dont suppose you got any pictures of the weld or anything?? I'd like to compare it to mine haha.

Mount it with some extra soft rubber blocks or small springs and nyloc nuts so the cooler can vibrate without vibrating the bracket.

That bloock of aluminiun getting hot is how it cools the engine. Aluminium transfers heat very efectivily it is like adding a dozen extra cooling fins to your engine.

dude im with the guys telling u to put it bak on. I wouldnt ride my 525sx without a radiator. But anyway, if u want to experiment (we al do at tyms) atleast run an oil line instead of plugging up the holes...u need to keep the oil flowing...keep us updated

Yeh when it first snapped off i rode it a few times without the cooler. Yeah i had the holes linked together with a oil line.

Mount it with some extra soft rubber blocks or small springs and nyloc nuts so the cooler can vibrate without vibrating the bracket.

That bloock of aluminiun getting hot is how it cools the engine. Aluminium transfers heat very efectivily it is like adding a dozen extra cooling fins to your engine.

^^ I'm with stupid ^^

The key words are "heat transfer". That oil cooler not so much "cools" the oil, but prolongs the time for the oil to get too hot. By routing it out of the hot combustion engine thru the aluminium, the aluminium transferring the heat, and routing it back into the engine delays the breaking down of the oil.

There have been a few guys disconnect their crank fed oil coolers. None of their top ends lasted very much longer!
If you want to do it you must connect the two feed holes. Heres why: The oil is pumped from the first hole through the cooler and then back into the second hole which then has a drilled passage to the oil feed up to the head to lubricate and cool the cam, cam followers and valve stems. You disconnect or plug these and its gonna be goodnight Irene for the top end. Just get a decent bracket welded on there or a much lighter cooler and improve your suspension. Poor suspension is the greatest cause of a bike jarring itself to pieces.

Ok thanks Mack. I'm going to have to get the bracket professionally welded back on. Only problem is my bike doesn't fit in the back of my car.

mybe relocating the oil cooler to a different place mybe the solution and run longer lines.mybe you could get a bracket welded on the frame vertically ,run the oil cooler vertically behind the pipe sided tank shroud so it looks like a big bike ,but the monut would have to be extremely strong as its more vunerable there but would look the goods

I agree that the stock ones are really crap. Like if you could get a small heater core from a car if would work heaps better. But you gotta remmember that having the cooler on increases the volume of oil availible so its gonna take longer to get too hot as well. These bike get really hot when you think about it. If you've ever ridden all out for a solid 15mins you can smell burning paint no worries!

They would take longer for the oil to get hot, but the oil cooler does keep the oil cooler even after a hour of riding. Aluminuinum transfers heat very well (anybody who welds, grinds or heats alumininum for the first time always burns their hands when they go to pick up the job, where steel will be red hot on one end and cool 20cm away alloy gets hot the whole way) So the heat from the engine heats the oil, the oil heats the oil cooler, the oil cooler has lots of little grooves which are cooled by the air flowing over them.

You can get heaps better oil coolers (check out the ones on the Motovert outlaw for example) but the stock ones work better than you would think and will certanialy reduce the tempretaure of the oil.

yer the only thing which sucked is my outlaw didnt come with the cooler pictured on there site. im running my stock cooler off my mso atm till i get a bracket made up for the cooler i got with the outlaw then in a few weeks i may order a nice cooler

Did you have the oil lines looped? If you did there will be no dramas.

Sucks about the outlaw oil coolers, I thought they came with the engine.

ive started my 140cc for like 2mins with no oilcooler can that do any damage? thanks guys

Its a bit like depriving your brain of oxygen....damage gets worse the longer you do it...until your dead.

umm theres no oil leaking and theres two nuts were the lines go in anyways. ill ask mack if there pluged up good

...but you can hold your breath for a couple of minutes so you'll be right....

Latest posts

Back