Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very similar symptoms but is getting slightly better each time. I haven't had chance to mess with it today but will play with the mixture screw a little more than I did and see what happens. Sorry 8r3ndo it wasn't a dig. Was late and I was a bit tired, may have come across a bit gruff. Apologies bud.

Im going pig hunting and I need to get this thing running spot on asap, hence why I said I may just take the exhaust off and move it on as its not really important if I don't get it sorted

Cheers

i would try tightening up the nuts holding the pipe to the head, i got a feeling....

other thing to try as Gooseman suggested above, is to check for vacuum leaks.
start the bike and let it idle,
spray some carby cleaner/degreaser or wd spray on every join on the carby/fuel bowl, carby to manifold insulator/spacer, spacer/manifold, manifold/head
if the idle changes in any way, then there is a leak that needs fixing

the carby to intake manifold mounting faces sometimes aren't perfectly flat
the fuel bowls can slightly warp when bolts get done up too tight,
the manifold faces are sometimes a little warped too.

the other thing to check is the manifold to head gasket, the original ones are quite thin.
buy some gasket paper and a decent box cutter knife, and remake a new one

Yeah already beat ya to that. I had a feeling that it may have been the exhaust not lining up properly causing an exhaust leak. Especially after all the drama I had getting it to fit. Tightened them up yesterday. Had the carby apart and checked everything plus nipped up all 4 screws at the same time so the bowl seated flat.

Double checked carb when i bolted back on the bike to make sure it seated flat. Im about to go out and start tinkering again. I think I may be able to get it sorted by mixture and jets.

Just gonna be a bit of trial and error but I will let ya know how i go

Cheers for all the feedback

Ok. I came up dry. Had a play for the last couple of hours and cracked it. I need the bike running so I've canned the dual exhaust. Now I have restored everything back to standard. Jet size i only changed the main which is now back to standard. I never moved the needle and the only other thing I have played with is mixture screw.

Where has everyone got there mixture screw set or recommendations?? I can start the bike on full choke now but can't get it to run off choke at all. It just dies out. Have been back over everything that I changed and replaced and everything has been set back to where it was.

Think I have just cracked it and am not thinking properly but ideas?

Cheers

ok,
adjusting the air/fuel mixtures is the same method used in big bikes.

the standard setting is around 1.5 - 2 full turns out, that will give you a good starting point.

start the bike up.
turn the idle speed screw in, 1 or so turns, until the revs rise up to about 1800rpm
turn the mixture screw in or out 1/4 of a turn at a time, and let it settle for 5 seconds or so, the revs will rise or lower.
you are wanting the revs to rise to their highest/smoothest point.

once it is close, then adjust the mixture screw in or out 1/8 turn at a time, let it run for 5 or so seconds between adjustments to settle.
do this until you have it running sweet.
now you can drop your idle speed back down to where you are happy with it.

take it out for a run and check you are happy with it,
the mixture screw can be tweaked a little to get it perfect.

now you need to take it out and do a plug chop, and adjust the needle clip to suit.

Last edited:
From memory my Fakuni was almost two turns out, keep in mind though I was running 100 main with the clip in the centre of the main needle.

Two turns out is probably a good place to start if you are absolutely certain there are no air leaks.

Im just composing myself for another stint outside lol. I have had it set at about a turn then 1 1/2 then 2 then 3. The second i flick the choke off it cuts out completely throttle or no throttle. Its got me buggered as I haven't come across anything this temperamental in a long time.

Im probably just a bit flustered.
Gonna go out and have another go at it and see if I can sort it out.

still sounding like a blockage in the Pilot jet, or Pilot circuit ?

did you pull the mixture screw out and checked it's clean though the middle, and across the holes
and that the hole in the carby where the pilot screws into, is clear, and were you able to see through to the main bore of the carb

Blender is currently having the same problem too

Well I sorted it. Don't ask me how. Cause I don't know lmao. It only took me half an hour to sort it and the rest working out what I did. Nah just kidding. I had to assemble a pitpro i bought the mrs for christmas.

But really not sure on what I did different. I went back over everything a few times, made sure everything was tight and sealing, closed the mixture screw for the 40th time today and wound it back out 2 turns, kicked it in the guts, crossed my fingers and switched the choke off. Was a tiny bit hesitant but nearly perfect.

I did have the jets out both pilot and main and mixture screw. Cleaned everything in carby cleaner and air. Checked all inlet/outlets were clear. Got me buggered but I'm thinking it may have had a slight leak somewhere that was just enough to cause havoc although everything did seem good. One other thing I did notice is that the bowl o'ring has expanded a bit. I can get it to seat so that it's not an issue but I would like to replace it. Any ideas on where I may get one as DHZ don't list them.

I will still persist with the dual exhaust after my trip but I needed this thing going as I couldn't afford not to take it.

Thanks for all the ideas and I'm 100% i will be back on when I start with this twin exhaust again. :D

Last edited:
when you take the fuel bowl off, dry the fuel off the rubber seal asap,
otherwise they will expand a little.
if you take it off again, dry it with a towel or whatever straight away, and leave it in the sun for a while, it will contract as the fuel evaporates from the rubber.

Very stupid question here but you have got the choke around the right way haven't you, you are opening it and not closing only reason I ask is I've seen 2 or 3 people on here be stumped and they have accidentally got the choke back to front.

choke on the 30mm Mikuni is a butterfly flap type setup

Lol funny ya ask. I did actually pull the filter off when I first started playing with it and double checked that. Always gotta check on these chinese bikes as some things are backwards but I did have it the right way. It definitely wouldn't be hard to do tho. I think my problem was a slight leak somewhere. It was letting me choke up until the point that it would cut out.

Switching between choke and off had no effect. I even went as far as changing fuel, plug and fuel line just to make sure they weren't a factor. Maybe something I nipped up had just enough effect to sort it out. Im going to retighten everything again before I go just to make sure and will have a better look once I have a bit more time up my sleeve.

Latest posts

Back