PLEASE HELP! 140cc ATOMIK WITH INNER ROTOR ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

----M@TT----

Reaction score
Ok, So the other day i bought a 140cc Atomik with a inner rotor from my cousin. He had only ridden it once and had had no problems with it. When i got it i could not get it started. It had no spark. I started to look from the ignition switch end and worked down to the coil and magneto. I replaced spark plugs, Coil and CDI in the process of trying to fix it. After i had replaced most eletrical components to the bike i tried to start it again but with no spark still!. I then decided to circut test everything to make sure no lines were broken and surely enough none of them where.

Heres the problem: Ive changed most electrical components with brand new things, costing me around $150 with still no spark.

If anyone could help me out i would really appreciate it. Also, the bike does not come with the option of electric start, so there are no fuses and also there are two yellowwires that lead to no where.

tested the kill switch? it may be stuck on.

a once ridden atomik with an inner rotor kit? was it put in prior to it's first ride or after?

tested the kill switch? it may be stuck on.

a once ridden atomik with an inner rotor kit? was it put in prior to it's first ride or after?

Yeah i have tested the killswitch and i found it quite funny that atomik had put the wires in it back to front. So off is on and on is off. xD. Have tried that out but thanks for your idea. I bought it after his first ride, but rode it with him and bought a couple of days after. The only reason he sold it was because he bought a Yamaha.

id be checking the stator with a multimeter and check the magneto pickup is set to the correct air gap.. (.005 tho)
first link in my sig should help

thanks sean but have also already done that..... everything seems to be fine but it isnt. I was thinking maybe something wrong with the magneto? Does anyone know about this?

Tell me your not trying to stat it with the kill switch "off" because the wires are the "wrong way"
The kill switch will have continuity when 'off' and no circuit when 'on'.
Basically you won't have spark if the two wires are joined.

check the first link in seans sig line. it gives a basic diagnostic rundown.
INCLUDING magneto check (Stator)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Will check this out. i did check today but didnt take note on what the OHMS reading was.

matt where are these yellow wires you speak off in the original post?

post a close up pic of the magento and cdi setup..

and also have you tried disconnection the killswitch totally

20784217.mp4

Thats the immage of the CDI with all of the wires that i was talking about.... The yellow ones are shown also. Couldnt get a pic of the magneto because the casing is back on the bike. And yes i have tried disconecting the killswitch totally and bypassed it totally. The Magneto just looks like a brand new magneto, Gold in colour.

where is your earth connection?

the yellow wires are for power, I don't think you have an inner rotor kit, if you did you wouldn't have yellow wires, and they're not meant to go to anything.... wrong CDI too

can you show us a photo of the Inner rotor kit?

what do you mean you "bypassed" the killswitch? just unplugg it

Last edited:
The earthing wire, i believed, was on the coil. Do you have a picture of what this should look like? Also, the inner rotor kit, is that behind the magneto? or on the other side of the bike?

take off the cover above the gear shifter, the one with the atomik logo. sounds like you don't know what an IRK is :confused:

the earth wire (green) has to be bolted to a bare part of the frame, no earth = no spark

Before this bike, my cousin had another which when riding the motor cracked. It was under warantee so he sent it back and they fitted a new motor. I *THINK* they have fitted the wrong motor, because this bike has no inner rotor. And as for the green wire you speak of, there are spare green wires which i can earth off of the frame.

Definately, as i said
"a once ridden atomik with an inner rotor kit? was it put in prior to it's first ride or after?"

an IRK "inner rotor kit" is put in as a "performance" replacement for your rotor & stator. They are NOT in a never touched, ridden once Atomik.

Atomik must be Bulls**tting then because in the auction the name said it was with a inner rotor kit. As for the green wire im not sure DvDrip said there should bea green wire that needs to be eartherd
the earth wire (green) has to be bolted to a bare part of the frame, no earth = no spark

how old is this atomik? It doesn't say Inner rotor kit anywhere in the auction

Latest posts

Back