pw80 troubles

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomik boy

Reaction score
so we have a 2000 pw80 and i like to ride it every now and then but last time i rode it it died? its been doing this alot u will just be riding and it will just die? mum reckons it just gets too hot but now it wont start?
can someone help please???
thanks,
james

well have you cleaned out the carby?

clean air filter?

new spark plug?

does it have any petrol left? nah only joking bud

mmmm sounds like the spark plug to me ^^^^^^ from previouse experiance
good luck mate ;)

vipes

well a new spark plug is about 5-8 bucks

2 strokes are known for fowling them plus its always good to have a spare

also does it seem like the compression has dropped at all?

it could be due for a rebuild

peewee's are known for drowning the exhaust with oil... might need to be cleaned..

but yeah replace the plug, and make sure it has 2 stroke oil in if it has a premix system..

make sure the manifolds aren't loose. and check the carb is getting fuel.

failing that a compression test will be needed... 2 strokes with worn rings = no kicky starty

Yep, check spark and make sure it's getting gas to carb.
New plug, fresh gas & injector oil (I like Maxima).
Make sure exhaust restrictor #2 is opened up.
Several cheap mods available, once you verify it's OK>

936_exhaust.gif

+1 for the above post, remove the restrictor from the header pipe....

i recently worked on a mates son's pw80,
i modified the airbox intake by removing the rubber factory tubes in the top of the box that suck in clean air it sit in like a grommet.
then cut the top of the air box out about 20mm wider on each side and 10mm at the front and rear, and made another steel intake out of some 20mm inside dia pipe (x4 tubes instead of the factory 3x 14mm tubes) and welded them to a 75mmx50mm piece of 1.6mm thick steel, bolted that into the top of the airbox and it makes a fairly big difference, more power and more induction noise too, nice
i also made a custom muffler to replace the rear restricted one, sounds quieter/deeper now. there is also another restriction coming off the back of the expansion chamber, i removed that
i had to richen the mixture by moving the clip down one slot on the carby needle to compensate for the mods, it can now almost keep up with his yz80/85?

the cdi unit on the 90's onwards bikes are rev limited too, if you get one off an pre 84 model they are not restricted

have you tried unplugging the cdi and spraying the contacts in the plugs with crc/wd40? might be worth a try, could be a bad wiring connection somewhere
also the coil maybe starting to fail, when it gets warm it may be arking out,
can you take it to a bike wreckers and see if they will let you try another coil on it?

good luck

Latest posts

Back