Rizla Suzuki TLR parts 1,2 and 3.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No more Rizla team at the MotoGP

Now that that issues put to bed ... :rolleyes:

The application for the TLR to enter the show and shine at the MotoGP has been put on hold ... until the Rizla name is removed or covered!?!?!

The organisers said something along the lines of "there is no tobacco advertising allowed at the MotoGP". Hmm, wonder what Chris rode last year when he won?!? Oh, thats right ... a Rizla Suzuki. Out there on the track with his team mate John Hopkins, for millions of viewers to see. But one TLR in the show and shine might make little kids take up smoking :confused:

This is still being disputed :rolleyes:

Wow that sucks dude, hope it goes ahead.. Looks like the fun police are out on patrol :( and I don't mean the cops.

You know jack shit,Have you ever been to the drags?.You claim that a TLR will run a 10.8 pigs arse......and the 141hp claimed,give dyno bikes a call...and how many more cc's ya got....where are you getting your figures...sorry but ya tlr is a 12 second bike at best

hmmm drool.. Katana... drool... New thread required!!!!!!!!!!!!
^^
haha, yes.

And Ruby/Stick you should both know that with the different number of variables involved with dynoing bikes that two bikes that make the same power could quite easily on different dynos show power readings that vary 20hp, or more,
unless you both dynoed your bikes at the same place on the same day comparing the size of your peak numbers can be less than a perfect comparison.

So am i part of an argument now?

So am i part of an argument now?

If you wanna be? :p

The TLR was dynoed by Neville Lush of Victor Harbor in SA and has a strong reputation on and off the track for having accuracy in his dyno tuning and power figures. I agree power figures can vary, but Neville Lush is the most reputable guy in SA. The 'before' dyno figure was 117rwhp and that is consistent with the stock figure quoted by Suzuki, so the 125rwhp from Neville Lush Racing is quite genuine. And the Adelaide International Raceway should still have the records of the TLR running a best 10.8s and an average of 11.1s without straps or bars ... 3 years ago before the rebuild. But what would I know ... I've 'never' been to the drags. :rolleyes: Definately not a sub-12s bike then ... LOL If nit-pick wants to rant "it can't do this, it can't do that" then good on him. Real riders just ride!

Last edited:
Back on topic:

Wow that sucks dude, hope it goes ahead.. Looks like the fun police are out on patrol :( and I don't mean the cops.

We've armed ourselves with some helpful information that Ricky is going to throw at the organisers. The winner last year of the show and shine was a Lucky Strike replica!!! Hmm, no tobacco advertising indeed. :rolleyes: And the fact that there is a Rizla Suzuki team in the MotoGP and this bike is a replica of a current team.

If that fails and their assholes about it we can either alter the decal to read "Tilla" or enter another bike, an SP1 Joey Dunlop replica!

Thats the argument we're giving them. Together with the fact that there is a Rizla team in the MotoGP and its is splashed all over their website Australian MotoGP - Home, and also that a Lucky Strike replica won last year's show and shine. Its all a bit anal. :rolleyes:

With millions watching the MotoGP and the websites displaying images of the Rizla team, I doubt a TLR replicating a current theme from a current Rizla Suzuki team is going to make any difference to encourage some little kid to smoke!

Last edited:
lol, i didn't know what Rizla, (the product) was, good advertising haha,
well now that i do know i might go take up smoking.

and as for this thread i think maybe someones problems aren't just with the bikes.

Last edited:
nooo, don't say that, they are papers! (spoken like i've allways know that)

i'm not trying to start anything, but it's a LITTLE bit cheeky having rizla sponsor.

i'm not trying to start anything, but it's a LITTLE bit cheeky having rizla sponsor.

True. There is a fine line here, and the whole thing is 'questionable'. But in this case, the tobacco and papers are separate pieces. It is the tobacco itself that is the problem, not the paper.

They must look at the view that the TLR is 'replicating' a current team. Its no different to buying a Rizla Suzuki Team cap or tshirt. You're not promoting smoking (or even the Rizla papers), you are supporting and showing your appreciation for the team. This is what the TLR is doing.

The whole issue must be looked at in the areas of 'intent' and 'impacts'. It is not the TLRs intent to promote smoking, the intent is to support and replicate a race team colours. I don't think the impact will be resulting in anyone looking at the TLR saying "wow, I wanna smoke", more like "wow, that looks like Chris Vermulen's team".

Last edited:
Well the MotoGP people are being anal about it and Ricky is not happy ...

Heath,

As you are aware, I would like to avoid altering the look of my bike in any way possible. I have therefore done my homework to put my case to your corporation, as follows:

TOBACCO ADVERTISING PROHIBITION ACT 1992 - SECT 9
Exception—political discourse

(1A)

To remove any doubt, it is declared that if:

(a) something ( the advertisement ) does not promote, and is not intended to promote, any particular tobacco product or particular range of tobacco products; and
(b) the advertisement does not promote, and is not intended to promote, smoking; and
(c) the advertisement relates solely to government or political matters;

the advertisement is not a tobacco advertisement for the purposes of this Act.

My intention with the decals on my TLR was to support and act as a tribute to Chris Vermulen on the Rizla Suzuki Team. There was never any intent to promote smoking. I am a non-smoker myself. Therefore, as supported by the Act, it has to be intended to get people to buy tobacco products, which I believe my TLR does not do. I do not know any persons, friends for family members who work for or are associated with a tobacco company for that work for a retail outlet that sells tobacco products. I have no connection in any way with tobacco companies. Therefore, there is no intent at all to advertise tobacco products or get people to buy tobacco products. The only intent was to replicate an Aussie who won last years Phillip Island MotoGP. I will sign any disclaimer for you to that effect if required.

The TLR, of course, during the duration of the show and shine, will not be positioned at any retailer who sells tobacco or tobacco products, like the sign within a shop window would.

Lastly, to my knowledge the Rizla brand is not available in Australia. The parent company of Rizla, Imperial Tobacco Australia Ltd (Imperial Tobacco Group Plc, UK), sell papers under the brand name “Tally Ho” in Australia, not “Rizla”.

I would also like to point out, again, that the winner at last year’s show and shine was a Lucky Strike replica. However, if required, I can alter the “Rizla” word to read “Tizla” if absolutely no other option remains.

Well here is their response:

Unfortunately, AGPC would prefer that the bike be clean of all tobacco advertising. The Tobacco Advertising Prohibition legislation classes cigarette paper as a "tobacco product" so this is also caught by the legislation. Whilst it could be arguable that the bike's tobacco signage is allowed, AGPC has a very good relationship with the Government Departments administering the legislation and would prefer to keep the event clean of all tobacco advertising for this reason. If we allow one, we will need to allow more than one, etc.

What?????? There is no response to:

Why a Lucky Strike replica not only entered but won the show and shine last year?
Why the Rizla Suzuki team is exempt but not a "replica"?
Will the word "Tizla" suffice?

I really don't think they actually read what I had to say. Based on that, I'm disappointed to say that I am not altering my TLR in any way because some numbnuts can't be bothered to read my emails properly and answer my questions, and I will not be entering my TLR into this year's show until I get a proper response to my queries and a reason why others are permitted but I am not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back