running fuel?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudskipper

Reaction score
my bike is setup and raring to go..
i cant turn it over if my life depended on it:ballchain:. mind you i filled it with unleaded, my previous pitty i just ran on poor man fuel but my honda i ran premium.
anyone have experience with the motovert being sensitive to fuel quality?

ps also tried rolling it down the hill, choke is on etc

hogs.jpg

just to put it in

95 unleaded is fine.. does it kick back or at least sound like it wants to fire??

turn fuel on and unscrew the drain screw on the bottom of the carby bowl..

let it run through for a about 20 seconds or until the fuel is clear...

choke on 1 click not all the way, hold throttle just on and kick like hell...

if that fails start checking for spark...

yeh it kicks back occasionally, ill get on it. thanks for the run through

something so simple should not be so difficult.... the best i got was a loud braap. checking for spark against bike ground? or should i be checking the mixture screws? it just shouldnt be this difficult.. also the highest point on kick start is basically horizontal
and that means im kicking through to almost shin on peg. moving it further forward means more rubbing
on engine case

First I'd be checking spark mate, simple enough. Take the plug out of the engine case and plug it into the coil. Earth the plug on the exhaust and kick over the bike, look and listen for the spark or if your tougher put your fingers on the plug or in the coil and feel for the spark.

Once you know the bike is getting a good spark every kick, we can move on, give it a try and let us know what result you get man.

got constant spark, i have little experience with carbys, ive played with my crf but i had a handbook.
is this the next step?

160's can be a bit of a pain for initial start up... gets easier as it loosens up...

kick the crappers out of it... strong and fast.... and if you have to hold the throttle flat but get ready to instantly drop it to a slow rpm..

Yeh i think the general concern is full throttle will
Give a mean kick back and a nice pop. But this is
Really the worst ive ever come across.. Im talking
Hip cramp action

maybe the air filter on the bike is to thick? Or even your idle screw?

Have you tried roll starting it aswell always an option

Put a new plug in it. sometimes they can be faulty. They can spark but not strong enough to ignite the fuel.

turn the revs screw up and play with the mixture screw, also was the spark plug wet! it will be hard to tell with it being a new plug but get some paper towel and dry it off if it is you might of just flooded the hell out of it, one more thing is it cold and raining were your at!

cold and raining. yeh.. but what bike cant start in the cold.... im pretty confident i didnt use excess
filter oilwhen putting it in but thats something to keep an eye on. i think ill have a play with the carby this morning and check in the spark being dry. spark i was getting seemed more than sufficent for ignition

NOTE. good point on atmosphere as i would regularly have to adjust idle when riding in the mountains

epic fail. eliminated the air filter, pulled down the carby and nothing looks a miss. ..mikuni carbs run an air jet? i cant see it, or does it rely on airflow through trumpet only? spark had a bit of fuel on it after a billion failed attempts.

If she dont kick over keep working on it until it does.
No real point to clutch starting it. There is a reason it wont kick start and sometimes clutching it can do damage if something aint quiet right.

Turn the air fuel mixture all the way in and back it about 1 1/2 turns, turn the idle up and go from there. If no more luck still, try and scavange another carby thats from a working setup and see if that works. For me first start was a killer, but once she's going, you should be able to keep it with the revs up a lil till she warms up.

Edit: Have you checked the valve clearances mate too? and I assume you have the fuel tap turned on? sounds stupid but I've done it

Just a thought is the choke actually on or off because you may have it back to front i know i did the first time i use a mikuni. Hope you get it soon mate!

Turn the air fuel mixture all the way in and back it about 1 1/2 turns, turn the idle up and go from there. If no more luck still, try and scavange another carby thats from a working setup and see if that works. For me first start was a killer, but once she's going, you should be able to keep it with the revs up a lil till she warms up.

Edit: Have you checked the valve clearances mate too? and I assume you have the fuel tap turned on? sounds stupid but I've done it

cant seem to find the air screw.....
roll starting doesnt work.
dont plan on going into detail with valves yet, im hoping its something simple.
getting fuel into carby, using choke correctly.

if there is an air screw can someone point me in the right direction?

Latest posts

Back