seized engine!!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it "squeaks" when you turn the engine over, I'd suggest pulling the spark plug and seeing if you can see the cylinder walls with a good torch... You may have scored them to pieces.

It's possible to seize an engine and then turn it over when it cools down, so you may still be up for a rebuild. IF it's turning over, hopefully the barrel is ok and you only need piston/rings :)

how much compression has it got? should be very noticeable on the kick start.

im guessing you seized it from lack of oil then after it cooled everything has shrunk and you manged to break what ever seized..

not sure how many people i tell this too but oil isnt a luxury..it serves many purposes in an engines..
obviously it lubricates
but most importantly it also cools the engine to a acceptable degree.. the older the oil the less useful it is..

its a shame you have learnt this way but im guessing from now on youll be checking your oil level before every ride...and check your valves every month..
there 2 very major parts in maintenance that people decide to ignore...

lets just hope you havent got too much of a drama on your hands..

yeah.. i hope too!
do i have to bond the gaskets?
coz i took the side covers off
or get new ones?
and if i take the head off will i need new gaskets?
oh and another question...
when i get my motor going i wanna get a ngk plug but i cant find the number for mine (a7b or sumthing) on the website!
so which one is the right plug???
thanks
james
:iamwithstupid:

generally you don't need to apply any gasket sealer to new gaskets but sometimes you can if the gaskets aren't sitting nicely..

you will need new gaskets for the top end...head gasket and base gasket (if your removing the barrel)
9 times out of 10 side cover gaskets are reusable if they don't break.

its easier to get a full gasket set but you need to know if you have Honda crf50 or Chinese crf pattern barrel studs.

Chances are you have scratched the crap out of it.

I think you are crazy not to pop the head off and take a look for the sake of a $10 gasket.

But hey, what would we know? (insert shaking head smiley here)<INSERT head here smiley shaking>

well the dhz ducar 125 gasket kit isnt a electric start kit?
oh and can i take off the electric start sytem thingy?
edit:
OH WAIT WHAT HAVE I BEEN SMOKING???
I DONT NEED THAT GASKET!
oh man stupid me i just need the head gasket and have the others as spares!
silly me!

Last edited:
I suggested inspection as part of the diagnosis... You are still going to need to narrow down the exact damage and hopefully it's only the top end that needs a rebuild ;)

sounds like it could be the crank pin too me ,just my opinion,especially if its squeeking

ok so ive hit a slight pothole...
ok so this arvo i was tightening my exhaust and had one side tightened like fully so i did the other and it went tink! and the left thread thingy that the exhaust bolts onto snapped off and no matter how hard i try i cand hammer a slot into it to use a screwdriver to undo it!!!!!
how can i get it out????
please any suggestions that wont wreck my bike any more than it already is!
thanks
james

Get a photo up... Depending on how tight the stud is in the head you might be able to get some vice grips onto it. Otherwise, try heating it up first.

If no basic methods work, you'll be left needing to drill it out (unless you can find a reverse thread bolt and matching tap that are small enough...) and re-tap.

Get some pics up while other suggestions come in :)

Hmm.. I am going to vote for the take it out and put it straight in the bin... It has already been seized so it will never be as good as it was...

So yeah, just buy a new one :applaudit:

Get a photo up... Depending on how tight the stud is in the head you might be able to get some vice grips onto it. Otherwise, try heating it up first.

If no basic methods work, you'll be left needing to drill it out (unless you can find a reverse thread bolt and matching tap that are small enough...) and re-tap.

Get some pics up while other suggestions come in :)
it snapped off about half a centimetre in so vice grips wont work!
as for photo's i dont have a camera well i do on my phone but i cant find the cable 4 it!

did you shear off the thread??

if so you could get a tap and die...

that might be able to pull it out
no it snapped off sorta thing!
oh and tap and die...
ive seen em but please explaaain what it is?
cut a slit in it with a grinder, for the screwdriver
nah wont work like i said it is snapped off inside so that wont work without buggering it really badly!
Hmm.. I am going to vote for the take it out and put it straight in the bin... It has already been seized so it will never be as good as it was...

So yeah, just buy a new one :applaudit:
hmm... well i dont like throwing stuff away so i might keep it and see if i can get it going and if not ill keep for spare parts

you have a couple of options..

1.drill it out by slowly going up in drill sizes till only the thread is left in the hole...(must be spot on with drilling center.) then dig the rest of the thread out with a tiny screw driver..some times it will blow out with air.

2.as above but helicoil the thread so it is brand new again..

3.as above but drill it bigger and tap it so you can screw a brass bung (must be a tapered gas fitting)in there and grind it flat then re-drill and tap to the correct size (m6x1)

4.if there is enough of the old bolt hanging out you can mig weld a nut on the end of it and screw it out..also the heat from the weld will loosen the stud a bit..

if all fails you can throw it in the bin, because after all attempts the head will be rooted.

all the above will require the head to be removed and clamped in a vice.

hmmm, it seems you are learning some valuable lessons here..IE; tighten bolts evenly

but anyways, it seems you are bolting it back together so im guessing you have pulled it apart...
what did you find?

no it snapped off sorta thing!
oh and tap and die...
ive seen em but please explaaain what it is?

well theres a few diff types, correct me if im wrong anyone, but what it does is the tap and die screws itself in (reverse style thread sort of thing) and it pulls out the existing bolt or wat ever was in the thread...

also i think sean01 mentioned it, you could always get a bigger die and create a slightly bigger thread...

also sean01 mentioned this "mig a nut onto it" iv never thought of that but sounds like a very easy fix if there is enough thread hangin out!!!!

well theres a few diff types, correct me if im wrong anyone, but what it does is the tap and die screws itself in (reverse style thread sort of thing) and it pulls out the existing bolt or wat ever was in the thread...

nar thats an easy out, a tap puts new threads in like nuts and stuff and a dye puts thread on bolts and stuff :/

you have a couple of options..

1.drill it out by slowly going up in drill sizes till only the thread is left in the hole...(must be spot on with drilling center.) then dig the rest of the thread out with a tiny screw driver..some times it will blow out with air.

2.as above but helicoil the thread so it is brand new again..

3.as above but drill it bigger and tap it so you can screw a brass bung (must be a tapered gas fitting)in there and grind it flat then re-drill and tap to the correct size (m6x1)

4.if there is enough of the old bolt hanging out you can mig weld a nut on the end of it and screw it out..also the heat from the weld will loosen the stud a bit..

if all fails you can throw it in the bin, because after all attempts the head will be rooted.

all the above will require the head to be removed and clamped in a vice.

hmmm, it seems you are learning some valuable lessons here..IE; tighten bolts evenly

but anyways, it seems you are bolting it back together so im guessing you have pulled it apart...
what did you find?
aaaaaaaaarrgh sounds scary and suicidal!!!
might try it but im i little scared!

also i think sean01 mentioned it, you could always get a bigger die and create a slightly bigger thread...

also sean01 mentioned this "mig a nut onto it" iv never thought of that but sounds like a very easy fix if there is enough thread hangin out!!!!

nar thats an easy out, a tap puts new threads in like nuts and stuff and a dye puts thread on bolts and stuff :/
hmm...
yeah i thort that's what it was!
i was like oh does it really take out bolts???
so how do i use a easy out?

Latest posts

Back