Stoozo's ask Craig a Question Thread

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if this is here Ima use it.

Craig can I trickle charge a 12v bike battery with a standard car battery charger? Just a matter of figuring out how long to do it so I dont blow it up right? That battery I dont think is sealed so I can re-fil and charge it!

Are you going to Pt Gawler tomorrow?

it all depend's if the charger is a trickle charger or not ?
a motorbike battery should only be charged with something that puts out less than 1 amp, and for a maximum of 3-4 hours.

nah we aren't going, i'm servicing the Territorys' trans, it isn't changing into 4th anymore
it's using 19 litres per 100kms atm ! this time last year it was using 13 litres per 100kms.

it all depend's if the charger is a trickle charger or not ?
a motorbike battery should only be charged with something that puts out less than 1 amp, and for a maximum of 3-4 hours.

nah we aren't going, i'm servicing the Territorys' trans, it isn't changing into 4th anymore
it's using 19 litres per 100kms atm ! this time last year it was using 13 litres per 100kms.

Yeah iirc its a trickle charger. So check ampage and then figure out how long it can be left on it for?

Ok well I might drop down with it, see how I go, need to get cracking with this bike so will pull the motor out etc tomorrow and start getting it cleaned up! Bit of inox in the rear bearings got them moving so will have to pull them all out clean and re-pack them...forks have a bit of rust which im not sure about how to remove without scratching....just that fine steel wool again?

The other question is there any disadvantage to using paint stripper on bikes(besides the obvious mess)? Im sure my parents have like 3 cans in their laundry cupboard...been in there for years, thinking i might give it a crack and see if some of this 'spray putty' will come off...otherwise Ive got a lot of sanding to do...

charger needs to be between 600 MAh up to 1 Amp maximum, don't leave it on for more than 4 hours
it it won't hold charge after 4 hours, it is pretty much no good.
but, it might be able to be charged with a desulphating/conditioner charger (i dont have one)
like these-
Ultipower 6V 12V 1A 2A 3A 4A Smart Charger 4 AGM Battery 7 Stages W Desulfator | eBay
7 Stage Smart Intelli Battery Charger 6V 12V G1100 Marine SKI Fishing Boats | eBay
Ctek XS3600 Smart Battery Charger 12 Volt 3 6 AMP Trickle | eBay

yeah it might move it, as long as the paint stripper hasn't gone hard

charger needs to be between 600 MAh up to 1 Amp maximum, don't leave it on for more than 4 hours
it it won't hold charge after 4 hours, it is pretty much no good.
but, it might be able to be charged with a desulphating/conditioner charger (i dont have one)
like these-
Ultipower 6V 12V 1A 2A 3A 4A Smart Charger 4 AGM Battery 7 Stages W Desulfator | eBay
7 Stage Smart Intelli Battery Charger 6V 12V G1100 Marine SKI Fishing Boats | eBay
Ctek XS3600 Smart Battery Charger 12 Volt 3 6 AMP Trickle | eBay

yeah it might move it, as long as the paint stripper hasn't gone hard

Righto, will have a look into it tomorrow. Yeah I was looking at those on Ali earlier,bit cheaper on there, but would be a wait....I have hope, it doesnt actually look that old...just dirty

Now is about the time I get more upset that I got rid of my electric RC stuff years ago....had two 12v chargers that were within range. I had one exactly like that above that hooked into the cigarette lighter of the car for pretty much every type of battery smaller than a car battery :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Ok see how I go tomorrow.

You'll be busy with the territory. I was just thinking I recon that the battery in the torch I have is the same....so might cut up one of the 12v car chargers for that and see if it works. I know that those torches are quite low amp hours so the chargers musn't be to big,I have two of them cause I got two torches.

Multi meter is in my glove box so shouldnt be to much of a hassle working out a way to charge it...Sure I have an old charger for something that will be within range, I have a whole draw of them at my parents place!! :thumbup:

Latest posts

Back