What do YOU do to keep fit?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all depends on what type of fibres your body is comprised of ... I respond to high reps with moderately heavy weights ... Low rep sets with near max weights merely make my joints and tendons sore with minimal size gain ...

You'd probably freak at my leg training routine ... He he he ... Before I took up weights I was a long distance cross country runner , sprinter and cyclist ... as a result it takes a lot of work to beat my thighs and calves into submission ...

My waist actually gets thicker than when I'm NOT training when I'm doin' 400lb calf raises , 400lb back rows , 1,060lb seated leg presses , and 400 lb squats using the calf raiser plus eating more than 6 times a day ...

I've never actually concentrated specifically on building big arms ... most of my workouts consisted of basic power movements ... hence the "Popeye" forearms ... :p

Here's a pic of me when I was in full training ...

DSCF2658.jpg

You can see the difference compared to when I was younger ...

DSCF2626-1.jpg

Last edited:
Could you still fit through the door!

Man , cross country runner ,sprinter , cyclist ..... what haven't you done

It all depends on what type of fibres your body is comprised of ... I respond to high reps with moderately heavy weights ... Low rep sets with near max weights merely make my joints and tendons sore with minimal size gain ...

You'd probably freak at my leg training routine ... He he he ... Before I took up weights I was a long distance cross country runner , sprinter and cyclist ... as a result it takes a lot of work to beat my thighs and calves into submission ...

My waist actually gets thicker than when I'm NOT training when I'm doin' 400lb calf raises , 400lb back rows , 1,060lb seated leg presses , and 400 lb squats using the calf raiser plus eating more than 6 times a day ...

I've never actually concentrated specifically on building big arms ... most of my workouts consisted of basic power movements ... hence the "Popeye" forearms ... :p

Here's a badly blurred pic of me bulked up when I was in full training ...

DSCF2542.jpg

Yeah it's all what works for you.

I got the best gains ever doing the 6x6 for chest compare to the 15 reps I was doing previously. I do change rep amounts and exercises every 6 weeks or so. Apart from my shoulder all my joints are good. That and using a lot of core exercises (dead lifts etc) helped everything else as well. My boss bodybuild's and put me onto it. He gained 35kg of pure muscle in a bit over 12 months.

It's really interesting seeing what works for different people. What your doing certainly works for you and that's all that matters. ;)

generally doing fairly low reps and heavy weights is more strength gaining where as high reps and moderate weights is more muscle building. (maybe just for me but pretty average rule of thumb i think)

is that pic from 1982? looks like my old man when i was a lad

Ha ha ... No it's from 2005 ... I was 46 ...

Here's a pic of me from FEB '77 when I was 18 ... They're the results of the 15/15/10/8/6/15 "Scientific" home training routine ...

DSCF2583.jpg

And at 23 :

DSCF2656-2.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah it's all what works for you.

I got the best gains ever doing the 6x6 for chest compare to the 15 reps I was doing previously. I do change rep amounts and exercises every 6 weeks or so. Apart from my shoulder all my joints are good. That and using a lot of core exercises (dead lifts etc) helped everything else as well. My boss bodybuild's and put me onto it. He gained 35kg of pure muscle in a bit over 12 months.

It's really interesting seeing what works for different people. What your doing certainly works for you and that's all that matters. ;)

Yes you're dead right Motorman ... The routine I stated was for beginner trainers who need to go thru their "Apprenticeship" before tackling the more advanced training methods and routines ... Once you become a "Tradesman" trainer ... you instinctively know how much work to do and what exercises give you the best results for each muscle group ...

You have to constantly vary your training routine to keep the gains coming ... otherwise your muscles get used to the work and as a result there's no need for your immune system to make them grow bigger ... Varying the weight and reps per set is one way of staving off stagnation ... The 10/8/6/15 is a Franco Columbu workout routine ...

ok, im loving this info!

since i made this thread i been doing all kinds of amounts of weights, amounts of reps, and so on..

iv chosen to focus my anger (when i get it lol) on weights, (untill i get this boxing bag stand)

its been 3 weeks, and so far im happy with the improvement , so:) im pree happy

We've only just scratched the surface ... there's heaps more to know ... I didn't put my original post up because I thought it might be a bit over the top ...

Stress and anger relief ... tell you the truth that's the EXACT reason why I trained ... and a lot of people say the same thing ... some even say they sleep a lot better after training ...

You also wanna be eating right if you want the best results. If you wanna put on size then try eat like 6 or so meals a day. This doesn't mean go and have maccas for breakfast lunch and tea lol. Eat shit loads of vegetables (broccoli, sweet potato, pumpkin are great) and lots of carbs if you have a fast metabolism like me :p

"If it comes from the ground eat it" - think about it...everything healthy is naturally grown, as soon as the food starts to be processed it's losing its goodness.

Anyway you can all look this stuff up yourself if ya serious :p

We've only just scratched the surface ... there's heaps more to know ... I didn't put my original post up because I thought it might be a bit over the top ...

Stress and anger relief ... tell you the truth that's the EXACT reason why I trained ... and a lot of people say the same thing ... some even say they sleep a lot better after training ...

yes, well stress isnt too much of a problem YET, but anger is:p haha it felt soo good after wards. it was like realy early this morning befor bed, and i slept well last night, so it could be the way to go every night.. will again tonight..

Where did you get that swingarm from as pictured on your bike ...

So you don't cop stress ? ... Probably because you're single with no missus and kids ... Going to the gym is a good escape ... Ha ha ...

You can buy Lasagnes cheap from Woolies , they also sell fat and salt free silverside , grape tomatoes , strawberries , pink lady apples , salads , nuts , yoghurt ... You can also buy Aussie bodies perfect protein there too ... For vitamins I take Natures own Mega B-150 , 1000 mg Calcium Ascorbate C , 220 mg amino acid chelated zinc , natural dolomite (calcium & magnesium) , Super 1000 Fish oil caps , fortified Cod Liver oil caps (A & D) , 250IU Vitamin E (D-Alpha tocopherol) ...

It's best to take vitamins every 2 to 3 days once you know you have no deficiency ... The water based ones are OK every day except B6 and the oil based ones such as Vitamin E can build up in your system ... If you feel like eating out ... opt for a subway ... limit Maccas except their salads , and take it easy on greasy KFC ...

Sometimes after eating too clean and strictly for a while you feel like something is missing ... that's when Vitamin M (Maccas) fill the void ... Their fries taste like heaven at those times ... LOL ...

first question, its off a cnc alloy bbr crf50 frame thingy?, im just glad it fits it ay:D

umm nar not too much stress, just soo fuking confusing shit atm lol.. im only 16 so yeah, lol, missus's cost too much :p

wow:eek: thats lots of awesome info! *adds to shopping list*

i havnt been taking any protine things yet, just been trying to eat prety healthy .. but will grab some asap!

how long roughly did you, or do you work out for?

Sometimes after eating too clean and strictly for a while you feel like something is missing ... that's when Vitamin M (Maccas) fill the void ... Their fries taste like heaven at those times ... LOL ...

HAHAHAHA!! I know the feeling too well. Try going 3 months straight only eating salad for lunch and vegies & steamed chicken for dinner to strip down. Macca's was like an angel vomitting in my mouth afterwards!! :p

^^^^lmao, Reading all this makes me wanna start working out, bet i could start improving my enduro racing

wow:eek: thats lots of awesome info! *adds to shopping list*

i havnt been taking any protine things yet, just been trying to eat prety healthy .. but will grab some asap!

how long roughly did you, or do you work out for?

yeh i keep asking my mum to get all this healthy food n shit and my they want me to start paying for bloody food lol!!
The length of workout will depend on ya program/routine...generally around an hour and you'll start to build it up n go longer.

OK ... Since we're starting to see a few interested punters ... I'll post up Thumpertalk posts from a few years back ... I've just never talked much about training , nutrition or fitness on here before because I didn't think many people would be interested ...

Here's one of my TT posts ...

You can use weight training for a wide variety of purposes . It
can be used for weight gain , weight loss , fitness and endurance . Whatever
you choose . You simply adjust the food intake , weight , reps , length and
frequency of the workouts to suit . You have to think outside of the
"square" to see what I'm saying .

A lot of "GURUS" claim it can't be used for cardiovascular fitness but I'd
like to see them perform multiple sets of 100 rep squats until they breath
fire with their heart jumping out of their chest and then tell me it doesn't
bring cardio into play !

For gaining muscle , the 10-8-6-15 ~ "scientific" body building routine
works extremely well . Warm up before each body part by doing 2 sets of 15
reps (with a very light weight) of the same exercise you will be performing
and then use a weight that you can use comfortably for the allotted amount of
reps . Using this routine , you can develop the lean , muscular physique of
a sprinter fairly quickly .

To make this system work and make you grow you have to achieve the maximum
pump and burn in the LEAST amount of sets and reps for each body part .

You have to concentrate and deliberately make the muscle do the max work in order
to feel the burn and work into it as far as you can until you can't stand it
anymore . If you you can't feel the burn , the weight is too heavy for you .
Obviously , to pump and burn , you have to cut down on the rest periods
between sets but that's up to the individual to find out for himself .

Some muscles might take 20 sets , and some might be done in 2 sets but for a
beginner , you should follow the basic routines until working out becomes
like second nature to you .

You perform the routine 3 times a week :

Start off with :

Calf raise : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Squats : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Abs : as many reps as you can for 3 sets

Bent over Barbell Rows : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Lat Pulls (chin ups) : 4 to 5 sets w/as many reps as possible to failure .
with wide grip

Bench Press : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Shoulder Shrugs : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Standing Shoulder Press : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Triceps press (lying) : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15
AKA Skull Crushers

Barbell Curl : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Forearm (wrist curls) : 15 / 15 / 15

That's a basic routine that works really well . Of course , I've moved on
from that to performing ~ 5 sets x 4 different exercises per body part (20
sets) in a 4 times a week split routine . Eventually you become an
"instinctive" trainer , meaning you know exactly how much work each body
part requires and what exercises work best for you . As soon as your body
adapts to ANY routine , you have to chop and change it around , altering
what you do to keep the gains and improvements happening !

I note there will be a lot of "Flat Plane" "Square Earth" thinkers out there
who might argue with what I've said . But I started training at 13 years old
, and have maintained regular nutrition and workouts over the past 35 years

I tried a stack of bodybuilding products over a 3 year period and found this
creatine supplement to be the absolute best :

MRM CreActive

And I also found enzymatically hydrolysed oligopeptide whey protein to be
the absolute best protein :

You ONLY really need to use it every morning when you wake up IF you skip a
decent breakfast and if you haven't eaten for a long period and DEFINITELY
AFTER a workout !

Too much protein is a waste and causes high acidity , headaches and bloating
. The same goes for creatine . Once again , you learn to use them
"instinctively"

What is a "hydrolyzed whey protein"?
A hydrolyzed whey protein is a whey protein that has been broken down into
smaller fragments called “peptides”. These peptides contain small groups of
amino acids usually called di-, tri or oligopeptides. When a whey protein,
such as Pro-Score 100, has been hydrolyzed into whey peptides it makes it
easier to digest and absorb into the body. Therefore, less usable amino
nitrogen is wasted and more nitrogen is retained to build new tissue.

VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT CONFUSE a "hydrolyzed protein" with a "hydrolyzed
whey protein". A hydrolyzed protein is a general term and could be anything
from collagen to whey protein. If a label reads hydrolyzed protein, it could
very well be hydrolyzed collagen, an inferior source of protein. Why?
because it is in fact an incomplete protein lacking in the Essential Amino
Acids. On the other hand, a hydrolyzed whey protein is the richest and most
efficient source of the 9 essential amino acids.

What is so "special" about hydrolyzed whey proteins?
Whey proteins used in dietary supplements come from cows - They are dairy
proteins, and as such are not digested the same as human milk. They are
harder to digest than other forms of protein such as beef or egg protein. By
hydrolyzing a whey protein you can make the protein easier to digest. Why?
Because hydrolysis changes how the protein presents itself to your gut.
Basically its just a bunch of peptides loaded with valuable amino-nitrogen
that are easily absorbed to make new tissue.

In summary :

1) Eat as much natural food as you can ... Fruit , Vegies , Nuts , Yoghurt , Lean Beef , Chicken , Bacon & Eggs , Whole Grain Rice , Pasta ...

2) Supplement with Protein Powder , Creatine , Vitamins and Minerals where necessary ...

3) Train regularly but don't over-train ... Your body grows out of the gym ... not IN it ...

4) Get plenty of sleep as that's when you produce growth hormone which is required for tissue regeneration ...

5) Keep yourself adequately hydrated with water but don't overdo it ... growth hormone production is dependent on water ...

6) For muscle size gain ... stick to the basic exercises : Squats , Dead Lifts , Bench Presses , Back Rows , Upright Rows , Parallel Bar Dips , Lat Pulls , Standing Presses , Barbell Curls , etc ...

7) Lifting maximum weights will make you strong ... but it won't necessarily make the muscles grow bigger and chances are it will mess up your joints over time ... Train smart ... Train with still being fit and active in your older years in mind ...

8) Muscles store glycogen and ATP ... to make them grow bigger .... you have to burn out those stores in the least amount of sets and reps ... When you take that stored energy from a muscle ... then FORCE it to work with no energy ... it has NO choice but to grow bigger ... The muscle grows bigger in order to increase the amount of stored energy and also to increase it's endurance under stress ... In other words ... so that it can lift a given weight for more reps the next time around ... As soon as that happens ... you should increase the weight in the next workout to keep the muscle growing ...

9) As long as you are gaining size and strength (improving) from workout to workout ... STICK to what you are doing ... When the improvements stop ... Alter the workout to get things back on track ...

10) Legs should be worked FIRST in every workout ... The stress of working the big muscles stimulates the production of natural growth and anabolic hormones ... as a result of that fact ... your arms etc will grow bigger quicker than if you don't work your legs at all ...

11) Most peoples' testosterone starts to diminish after 45 minutes to 1 hour of working out ... so if increased muscle size and strength are what you're after ... keep your workouts down to 45 minutes ~ 1 hour ...

12) After a hard workout your muscle and liver glycogen will be burnt down ... IF you don't replenish the energy , the catabolic hormone CORTISOL will attack healthy muscle tissue and break it down in order to extract the three branched chain aminos needed for conversion to glycogen ...

So to counteract that you should drink a high glycemic index sugary drink to spike your insulin levels in order to push the glycogen into the liver and muscle tissue (two gatoraides with a teaspoon of micronised creatine in each one does the trick but a Creactiv drink is FAR superior) ... then within another 20 minutes ingest hydrolised whey protein to ward off the cortisol attack ... Then have a natural meal within another 45 minutes to prevent the protein from being oxidised and wasted ... 60% of recovery occurs within two hours after a workout ... IF you miss that "window" of opportunity , you will greatly reduce your potential size and strength gains before the next workout ...

After a hard workout is the ONLY time you can drink the equivalent of 1 cup full of sugar without gaining fat ... at that time your body is screaming for the glycogen so it's actually beneficial to ingest the sugar than to go without ... It gets FULLY utilised and will NOT act as a 1st class poison when the neceassary hormones are present to deal with it ... A heap of people don't know this ... but sugar is the WORST oxidising /aging substance on the planet ...

13) IF you want to lose weight or stay the same ... skip the insulin spiking and hydrolised whey ...

when i was 20 i weighed 86 kilo today at 46 i weigh 86 kilo, i dont train but i dont sitdown at all during the day,i dont eat healthy but i dont eat crap,i believe with general activity and general type of eating your body has a natural weight and fitness level if you want anything oher than that it takes continuous work,saying this i am happy with the way i am

Latest posts

Back