What do YOU do to keep fit?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I worked at the gym I was playing squash all the time and doing heaps of weight training, changed jobs and havent been into a gym since haha.

now I try to tell myself working is a work out... but its far from it

Yes on a serious note ...... i literally get pissed and do nothin lol ... and eat takeaway ... good havin a good metabolism or wateva it is :)

haha just cause your skinny doesnt mean your fit! lol

goto the gym 6 days a week :)

Some interesting responses here.

6 days a week is overkill in they gym. Unless you are body building or have no life, it's not called for and can actually be counter productive (your body needs rest).

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I do specific training for riding bikes. Lot's of core work and individual muscle groups. Used to do heaps of cardio but found out how overrated it is compared to lifting weights. You burn more off doing that anyway. Bike time is all the cardio I need and walking the dog. My goal is to use my strength over long periods of time (not be a huge ass body builder) which is perfect for riding.

If anyone is interested in a structured plan to help them hold onto the bike longer, reduce arm pump etc shoot me a pm.

weight lifting isn't the best exercise for moto riding as its a 2D work out,but some is required just not a great deal, you need a 3D work like the rowing machines, medicine ball, jumping at max capacity in a vertical direction and horizontal, there is a site dedicated to motocross/enduro fitness, ill edit this post and add the link when i get a sec.

BUT they say the best training for riding is RIDING.......arm pump comes from holding on to tight, you need to relax your hands and grip with your knees pointing your toes in towards the motor(pigeon toed if you like), you also steer alot with your knees.

Link> In-Season Training for Motocross - Racer X Virtual Trainer

I try to follow this with a few modification's

Last edited:
weight lifting isn't the best exercise for moto riding as its a 2D work out,but some is required just not a great deal, you need a 3D work like the rowing machines, medicine ball, jumping at max capacity in a vertical direction and horizontal, there is a site dedicated to motocross/enduro fitness, ill edit this post and add the link when i get a sec.

BUT they say the best training for riding is RIDING.......arm pump comes from holding on to tight, you need to relax your hands and grip with your knees pointing your toes in towards the motor(pigeon toed if you like), you also steer alot with your knees.

Link> In-Season Training for Motocross - Racer X Virtual Trainer

I try to follow this with a few modification's

I disagree. Being stronger and being able to use that strength to chuck the bike around more easily I think is of far better use. If your racing for hours like yourself, you will get arm pump no matter what you do and will get your cardio workout at the same time. Especially on multi day events. Being fit won't stop arm pump or fatigue but being stronger will. Can do all the cardio in the world but being stronger will have a 100 times the impact. Plus it is medically proven a weights session burns more calories than the equivilant cardio so it's win win.

As for weights being a 2d workout, it can be when done by the inexperienced. If you know what your doing, you can do max vertical and horizontal exercises while actually having some resistance instead of thin air. Better cardio workout done in higher reps and great resistance and endurance training so another win win.

This is coming from my own experiences. May not work for everyone. I have had 6 PT's in my time all with different theories. I got the best one's from all of them and with a bit more research designed the workout I now do (and have been for 2 years).

Look at some of the muscles on the AMA racers, they are huge!! Weight training is a massive part of there fitness regime. Not saying cardio and flexibilty stuff isn't, but the real difference is in the weights.

You give me 1 month of your life on my workout 3 times a week at the gym and you wouldn't know yourself on the bike afterwards. All with 0 cardio. ;)

Last edited:
+1. I agree with you completely.

I have worked in a gym for the past three years and there is no better workout then weight training (if you know what your doing). People who have it in their mind that weight training is all bench press and bicep curls are all wrong, there is so much more that can be done, and any PT will show you that

Ok here is my workout I do:

Keep in mind that I had been waiting for a shoulder reco so there are a couple of extra exercises I will be adding once it's healed up.

Day 1

Chest/Legs

Barbell Bench Press (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Incline Barbell Bench Press (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Decline Barbell Bench Press (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Parallel Bar Dip (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Cable Crossover (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Machne Leg Press (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Barbell Standing Calf Raise (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Machine Chest Fly (4 Sets x Max Weight)

I will also be adding squats to that when shoulder is good

Day 2

Shoulders/Back

Dead Lift (4 Sets x Max Weight) My favorite
Cable Seated Row (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Shrugs (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Dumbell Lateral Raise (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Machine Shoulder Press (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Bar Upright Row (4 Sets x Max Weight)

Day 3

Biceps/Triceps

Seated Preacher Curl (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Cable Tricep Pushdown (4 Sets Pyramid x Max Weight)
One Arm Row (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Dumbell Bicep Curls (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Lat Pulldown (4 Sets x Max Weight)
Standing Bicep Curl (4 Sets x Max Weight)

For anyone with an Iphone, there is a wicked app called Ifitness. Is a brilliant little program for the gym. Shows you how to correctly do all exercises and logs everything. You can then check graphs out and watch your weights going up each week.

Key thing to remember is form is better than max weight. Get your form right first before you start stacking the weight on.

Last edited:
i shudder just a little bit every time I hear the words decline and bench put together, I can't stand it lol. It makes me feel so akward lol

i shudder just a little bit every time I hear the words decline and bench put together, I can't stand it lol. It makes me feel so akward lol

Yeah it's not the most comfortable of positions when bench pressing but damn it gives the top of your chest muscles a good working out. Worth the discomfort.

aight...
thort it contribute again, bort a boxing bag the other day... gotta weld a stand up for it for 2 reasons... 1 i need the practice on the welder, and 2 i like spending every spare cent on my build :rolleyes: lol

If your trying to build muscle you shouldnt be in the gym over 4 days max 3 is good. you should be sore and in recovery...

have you ever tried a ladder motorman?
i'm doing a 2 ladders for every exercise in my program. basically you do 1 rep, 10 sec rest, 2 rep, 10 sec rest, 3 rep, 10 sec rest and so on until 10 reps. so in total your doing 55 reps. it starts to get real painful lol. pure muscle building though, not much strength gain from it.

For gaining muscle , the 10-8-6-15 ~ "scientific" body building routine works extremely well .

Warm up before each body part by doing 2 sets of 15 reps (with a very light weight) of the same exercise you will be performing and then use a weight that you can use comfortably for the allotted amount of reps .

You perform the routine 3 times a week :

Start off with :

Calf raise : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Squats : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Abs : as many reps as you can for 3 sets

Bent over Barbell Rows : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Lat Pulls (chin ups) : 4 to 5 sets w/as many reps as possible to failure .
with wide grip

Bench Press : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Shoulder Shrugs : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Standing Shoulder Press : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Triceps press (lying) : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15
AKA Skull Crushers

Barbell Curl : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Forearm (wrist curls) : 15 / 15 / 15

That's a basic home training routine that works really well .

have you ever tried a ladder motorman?
i'm doing a 2 ladders for every exercise in my program. basically you do 1 rep, 10 sec rest, 2 rep, 10 sec rest, 3 rep, 10 sec rest and so on until 10 reps. so in total your doing 55 reps. it starts to get real painful lol. pure muscle building though, not much strength gain from it.

Nah I haven't. Not really a believer in high rep count's. Better off jacking the weight up and doing less reps but that's just what I want to achieve in the gym. Everyone is different.

For gaining muscle , the 10-8-6-15 ~ "scientific" body building routine works extremely well .

Warm up before each body part by doing 2 sets of 15 reps (with a very light weight) of the same exercise you will be performing and then use a weight that you can use comfortably for the allotted amount of reps .

You perform the routine 3 times a week :

Start off with :

Calf raise : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Squats : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Abs : as many reps as you can for 3 sets

Bent over Barbell Rows : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Lat Pulls (chin ups) : 4 to 5 sets w/as many reps as possible to failure .
with wide grip

Bench Press : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Shoulder Shrugs : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Standing Shoulder Press : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Triceps press (lying) : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15
AKA Skull Crushers

Barbell Curl : 15 / 15 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 15

Forearm (wrist curls) : 15 / 15 / 15

That's a basic home training routine that works really well .

I like this workout for home. Would go well. ;)

Only thing I would change is the amount of reps. I would be doing half the amount with heavier weight over more set's (for what I want to achieve). The 6x6 is a great method especially for bench.

Yours would give some wicked muscle endurance.

Latest posts

Back