Where to get painted?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smart_969

Reaction score
ImportedPhotos00088.jpg

Hey everyone
Im just wondering does anyone no where 50nut gets his frames painted at or somewhere that does them in the same colour as above?

Cheers
trent​

DIY

you can get engine enamel paint from super cheap auto for about 20 bucks a can..

get a wire brush scratch up your current frame get some fine sand paper and take away any burs

clean the frame thoruoghly

let it dry

and away you go with the paint (do very very light coast and you will get the best finish if you use a couple of clear coats)

DIY

give it a go , pretty easy and clear coat its the key ,, be patient and do a practice bit first
super cheap is good for paint , wont cost a arm or leg , make sure to get the clear coat and use plenty of coats

warm the can up it hot water b4 use and makes for a smooth spray ,

im a sh!t painter and my bike looks good for a first attempt
from this

26072009207.jpg

to this

08082009239-1.jpg

wheel nuts

07082009237-1.jpg

much better to say yes mate i painted it when ppl say

"dude who painted ya bike"

yea give it ago by urself..
the way i would go about it would be..
start off by cleaning the frame, get it sandblasted if u wish not to spend the time sanding it all schmicky
then wipe down with a wax and greese remover/ prepsol several times
them wipe down again dry with lint free rag a couple of time
apply primer that suit the type of paint u wish to use ( several coats)
then sand with 1200 wet & dry ( dip ur sand paper in a bucket of water and go for it)
re wipe the frame with wax n greese/ prepsol and dry wipe agiain
then apply ur choice of paint, dont be worried if after the first coat of paint u can still see the primer colour, thats a good thing. allow 5 mins (depend on temp) before applying another coat of paint. apply a few coats and see how it goes.

i have never tried using clear coat like others have, ive always just used 2pac paint but if using a metalic paint then clear coat is the way to finish it off :)

hes already had a go with metalcast paint from super cheap but dont think he liked it haha

its been less than an hour since he first posted, takes longer than that to clean the frame properly
key to a good paint job is the prep work getting it all clean and smooth.

oh and snitchy, nice tip, dropping the can in a bit of hot water, never thought of it.. good idea :)

hey snittchy just out of curiosity but the paint you used on your zedda wasnt powerplus professional touch paint from super cheap???

its been less than an hour since he first posted, takes longer than that to clean the frame properly
key to a good paint job is the prep work getting it all clean and smooth.

oh and snitchy, nice tip, dropping the can in a bit of hot water, never thought of it.. good idea :)

pfff he tryed it ages ago mate!

want it done properly?

get frame and bits to be painted sand blasted and etch primed

go to smash repairs shop and get them to paint it in 2 pak in any colour you like, all you need is a paint code or if your lucky the painter might show you some magic colours he has already mixed...

price wise... could cost anything really... but if you love your bike price shouldnt be an issue..

:)

want it done properly?

get frame and bits to be painted sand blasted and etch primed

go to smash repairs shop and get them to paint it in 2 pak in any colour you like, all you need is a paint code or if your lucky the painter might show you some magic colours he has already mixed...

price wise... could cost anything really... but if you love your bike price shouldnt be an issue..

:)

agreed , mine is more for the fellow who likes to know he did it himself , much more pleasure in that than handing over money

and my paint cam from a paint supply shop and i had them pressure pack it for me ,,

^^^ also agree...

for those who want self satisfaction you can get any paint colour mixed and supplied in a pressure pack can from most paint supply shops...

and as snitchy also stated earlier..
the key to good looking paint is lots of clear coats with about 5 to 10 minutes inbetween coats..

and if you are going to do it yourself you can still get it all sand basted, as the preparation is the most time consuming and from what iv seen in the past with different paint jobs iv came across, ppl lose interest in preparation very quick because it takes alot of effort..

primer finish ready for painting should be sanded with no less than 600grade wet n dry paper and if you have a fair amount of primer on the job then you can break the sanding down and sand with 320 then 600 and if you have any bare metal spots showing thru be sure to spray with etch primer to seal the metal or the paint wont stick..

now also if you have a good scratch free frame then you can get coarse scouring pads (also from paint supply shop) and ajax powder. wet the scouring pad and dowse it with ajax and sand the frame like you are just cleaning it.
the idea here is just to remove the gloss finish...

anyways enough with the painting lessons...

I spent over 6 years in the crash trade and take it from someone with experience,you are better off powder coating frames,especially if its going to be used on dirt as its alot more durable than acrylic or 2 pak and will look better for longer.

I spent over 6 years in the crash trade and take it from someone with experience,you are better off powder coating frames,especially if its going to be used on dirt as its alot more durable than acrylic or 2 pak and will look better for longer.

Yeah I agree powder coating is well worth considering

Latest posts

Back