Will not rev with choke off.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willis

Reaction score
hey guys, i am completely stuck here, and before i do any random dismantling want to see if i've missed something.

i have a dhz outlaw 140, for about a year and has run pretty much fine untill a week ago.
The bike was running a bit rough, so i changed the oil. next ride the bike had a massive flat spot on full throttle at about 4/5ths through the rev range, at the same point through the revs in any gear it would splutter, but continue to rev out once it got past it.

So, i checked my valve clearances, .003 intake and .004 exhaust, bike kicked over with more compression than have had for ages, great!

I just tried to start the bike and it was dam hard to start, once it started it would rev alright with the choke on, it was rideable around the driveway, but if i took the choke off and revved it i would hear a rush of air (as usual) and it would conk out immediately. just as it conked out i would feel air blown back through the carbie?

I played around with the needle clip settings thinking it was too lean, but it did nothing noticeable so i put it back to the factory position at the bottom setting - couldnt make it richer anyway.

Any other ideas what could help get her running again? Have also had a new spark plug in it (what's the recommended gap to check?) and cleaned carbie not too long ago.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
I do hose down the bike with the air filter on and it does get soaked, but never had an issue before. i'll give that a shot now then, cheers.

Yeah was a bit of crap in the carbie, should be sweet now cheers :)

I had pretty much the exact same issue last weekend.

I do not know the correct terminology but will try my best to explain in laymans terms.

I removed the carburetor. Took it apart, first time I had ever done this and it was really very simple and checked for any rubbish in there.

The jets were clean, as was everything else at first glance. I removed the floats and the pin holding the other little needle type thing in. There was some junk in there. I cleaned this out, stuck it all back together and it started first kick. Revving smoothly again.

The little needle is attached to the floats and controls the amount of fuel allowed into the bowl.

This worked for me and your symptoms sound very similar.

I hope this helps.

Logic

Yeah, properly took the carby apart and cleaned it out, fair bit of dirt in there, and also over a pea sized amount of water sitting there, along with the rust that it formed.
I've done a bit more work on the bike and before putting the carby back on to test, i took my exhaust pipe off, which had a fair bit of water sitting in the bottom of it aswell.

So, as a fair bit of water has found its way through my engine and sat in the garage and been running ( like crap ) with it, is there anything i should do before the next ride? piston / rings would let me know if they were buggered i'm guessing. I've done a quick search already.

water in the exhaust is probly from water getting in thru the muffler end..

water in carb from not covering your carby...

change the oil and see if theres water in there too..

cross your fingers and hope there's no internal damage and ride it..

Just thought i'd update, all fixed after all of that. Had another problem where the carby's choke wouldn't stay off, only slightly but enough to mess things up, all sorted now though, thanks.

Latest posts

Back