would this work?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byh0005

Reaction score
all right so my idea is this basically a 4 stroke bottom end and a 2 stroke top end oil in the crank case like a 4 banger and ports like a 2 stroke but instead of the fuel being stored in the crank case it would have a "external crank case"under a carb see picture not great but should explain my idea make it if you want but i want 10% of the profits for my idea i would like to see it made

Attachments

• edit-engine.gif
    edit-engine.gif
    8 KB · Views: 37
you wouldnt need a external crankcase...
the idea of a 2 stroke running fuel through the crank is for lubrication..
doing what your saying would actually eliminate the need for oil in the fuel altogether.

but also doing what your saying probly wouldnt work.. well it would run and sht but how good would be unknown.. the ports in a 2 stroke barrel are actually like a cam referred to by PORT TIMING.. its the timing intervals that fuel is sucked, burnt and exhausted...

2 stroke guru's port barrels to raise or lower the heights of the ports which is like throwing in a big cam in a 4 stroke... duration and advance or retard...

also why would you want to do this?

**edit**
well actually after thinking about it a bit further. it wouldnt run.

when the piston rings are at top dead center (or above the ports) it will expose the ports to the bottom end creating a massive vacuum leak of some sort

Last edited:
edit-engine.gif

better pic
and im just thinking of bringing back 2 stroke now with pollution laws hate them by not burning oil but still running like a 2 stroke
so oiled like a 4 runs like a 2

great idea but simply wont work... unless you can seal off the crank some how.

i could be wrong tho, lets see wat others have to say

hopefully someone on here can make it work or get someone to make it

there will always be someone dedicated to the survival of the 2 stroke engine we need not worry about them dying out completely, they will probably always sell 2 stroke oils. but they will never use them in professional racing again, sadly.

I don't think any green 2 stroke design is ever going to be acceptable because they've drilled this global warming sham into everyone's heads so well.

In my opinion a 2 stroke has to be of the same classic design otherwise it's just not a 2 stroke, they're so easy to work on and I'm glad my main bike is one (rm125) because even reading about this business with valves and timing pisses me off, I'd rather just have an engine which doesn't last as long and be able to rebuild the top end in 1 1/2 - 2 hours. not to mention they're more exciting and less predictable than a 4 stroke. I'll never own a 4 stroke trail/motocross bike, In fact I'd like to see a modified PW80 engine in a pit-bike frame. that would be awesome!

Last edited:
sean01 is right, it wont work unless you seal the crank, and if you seal the crank you need oil mixed in the fuel to lube the piston, top and bottom end. While i love little honda fourstrokes, i will always own atleast 1 2banger. While all my mates have wr's and crf's for the bush, i still ride my trusty old dt200r, it always starts first kick no matter how long its been sitting or how old the fuel is and more than keeps up with my mates modern 450's

it would be easier to build a two stroke with a 4 stroke head, with a new cam. so basically instead of the "valves" being in the wall of the cylinder, they are in the top of the head.

there are diesels that run like this in production at the moment. mainly in industrial applications, like trucks, earthmoving, ships etc.

2 stroke diesels work similarly with oil in crank case but use super or turbo charger to pressurise the gasses

2 stroke diesels work similarly with oil in crank case but use super or turbo charger to pressurise the gasses

Yep. Detroit Diesel had used that system, with a Roots blower for decades.

Modul%201%20figure%2021%20%202-stroke%20Exhaust%20&%20Figure%2022%20%202-%20stroke%20intake.GIF

And, look damn sexy, for a chuffer:)
12-645E.jpg

Last edited:
They can't improve their emissions without drastically altering their suitability for MX use ... It's been 16 years (14 since that article was written) ... If it could be done , they'd have done something by now ... if only to monopolise on the supposed "revolutionary technology" ...

And you can bet ya' nuts that they'd be priced as high or even higher than the 4 strokes ... With the added electronics , sensors etc they'd probably be just as hard and as expensive to work on ...

I wouldn't go holdin' ur breath waiting ...

Sorta what I'd meant;) If the Honda can't, it can't. lol

Chrysler spent a small K-car fortune on trying direct-injection, and a bunch of ***, outboards and snow machines are trying, but it's a losing battle so far. Otto needs a 4-way split to be clean enough. With gasoline, any way...

Waste vegetable oil diesels can be pretty clean and VW/Mercedes/et al have made them less truck-like.

Alcohol has the expense/energy to produce vs output issue, but is greener butt-fur the aldehydes. Propane fueled dinger might squeeze past the sniffers. Inadequate distribution network, currently, in the States. Electric has the range, cost/mi fights, but it was neat to watch a near-silent MX race at MM. Chains slapping, brakes squeaking, shocks gurgling are pretty funny.

Latest posts

Back