Xr/klx mutant motor

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storminnorman07

Reaction score
i forgot all about the good ol oz forum. seeing how a good majority of the planet pister morons can't appreciate anything i guess i'll post my latest build here. i'm not sure where the hell i should post this cause as the title says its a mutant motor. so if this is the wrong spot mods please move it to the appropriate spot. heres a lil background. i'm doing a crf150r conversion build the twist on this build is the motor. it starts life out as a 1998 xr 80 bottom end. after a number of hours in case work it then use the klx top. for the first go around i'm going to go with a stroke of 55mm and a bore of 66mm. the head will be the heavily worked yx 4 valve i posted on here a while back.

xrmutantmotor001.jpg
stocker case on left
xrmutantmotor004.jpg

blackcases001.jpg

blackcases002.jpg

blackcases004.jpg

blackcases005.jpg

mutantbearings001.jpg
ceramic bearings
mutant006.jpg

mybuild002.jpg
half ass first mock up

lightening work on crank
crank007.jpg

crank010.jpg
stock on bottom cut halve on top
crank011.jpg

crank014.jpg

more crank work
2-1-11021.jpg
getting center line for stroker pin
2-1-11017.jpg

mock up w/ crank done
piston with 55mm stroke 100mm rod.

pistoncut003.jpg

pistoncut001.jpg

cut down to give myself .020th clearance

pistoncut006.jpg

pistoncut008.jpg

pistoncut009.jpg

Made my day

thank god someone actually posts something good to look at ill be watching this thread big time

That hermaphrodite better run & hide from your brother's Tak/FPM 115, or you'll never hear the end of it:fencing:

Chad, I wonder if you could use the FRauD fixture as a billet cylinder, run a sealed bearing on the left, and exposed belt cam drive? lol

Last edited:
Great work , we love to see freaky hybrid concoctions ... When horizontals evolve , they stand upright and run faster ...

That hermaphrodite better run & hide from your brother's Tak/FPM 115, or you'll never hear the end of it:fencing:

Chad, I wonder if you could use the FRauD fixture as a billet cylinder, run a sealed bearing on the left, and exposed belt cam drive? lol

lol oh it will. if it dont the min i get back from the dyno it will get blown part and i'll make it bigger. already found a 69mm 150r piston. the stroker jig is getting closer to being done so i'll be able to stroke it i think 60mm.

lmao fock the fraud and his eye candy. 189 bucks for billet and all the machining? gotta be chalumiun! i am really hoping him and gary are at the trade show this week i am going to make it my soul mission to go to their booth and cause them grief.

whilst I marvel at your technical and engineering ability, and am very jelous of your workshop, which must be heaven, what are the benefits of taking a CRF150R, binning the motor, and making this motor? is it just the engineering challenge? or will this make more HP than the 150 motor?

why wouldnt you mate a crf250 cylinder to the 150 case and make a monster that way? water cooling is a friend of HP.

would love to here the story as to how you came to this idea.

All your cooling fins are the wrong way around for airflow! :p

Very nice man, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :)

whilst I marvel at your technical and engineering ability, and am very jelous of your workshop, which must be heaven, what are the benefits of taking a CRF150R, binning the motor, and making this motor? is it just the engineering challenge? or will this make more HP than the 150 motor?

why wouldnt you mate a crf250 cylinder to the 150 case and make a monster that way? water cooling is a friend of HP.

would love to here the story as to how you came to this idea.

thank you for the complements. there is no benefits for getting rid of the 150r motor. most places where i'm at track rules are in order to be classified as a bigger mini is has to be a aircooled motor. with that said i had to pick what aircooled motor i wanted to use. i'm a di hard honda fan so i limited down to only honda motors. so my options where the xr80/100 motor, 150f, xr 200, or crf 230f. i love to rev the snot out my motors so i wanted something that was still going to keep pretty good revvabitly and not be a tractor power curve. so that pretty much through out the 150f xr200 and crf 230. so that left me with the xr 80/100 motor. i have rode the takegawa stage1 heads for the 80/100 and was not impressed to say the least. i had my eye on the dohc kit for them but was not willing to drop 3500 on the kit. I have a takegawa dohc for the crf 50 laying here so i spent some time looking it over one night seeing if i could get it to work. about this time i remember seeing a thread the gdpm starting over on planet pitster how he was going to put a lifan head on the 80/100 bottom. so i sent him a message we got to talking about it and i decided to toss that idea. was to many thing needed to be changed to make the 50 head work on the 80/100 bottom end. then the gdpm mentioned about the klx top end and i was like that might work. so i spent a night looking it over and it was a more suitable top end. then the more i thought about it the more i liked the idea. not only was it going to be easier to do the top end swap but i could go way bigger on cc's. with the 80/100 bottom without running a scut piston around 145-150cc range with what i did i can get 220 range assuming the kicker gear will take it.

exactly what I wanted to hear. thanks man! like krazed mentioned, how are you going to cool the situation? a shroud and duct? or will there be enough terbulance around the cylinder? you could cut all the fins off, then machine the surfaces of the cylinder, and make your own heatsinks then mount them too the cylinder.

Chad, be sure to ask if the extra 3cc on the quad got AMA approval, and if they have a tracking number for the Retro bikes;)

I'm just jealous of your ability to take a seed of an idea, and put the hard work in to growing it to fruition. Hats off, Sir:)

Pretty sure the cooling won't be an issue. Chinese 125-140-150 have the jug fins pointed the "wrong" way, and seem fine. Also, having the head oriented this way puts the cast-in cooling tunnels in direct air flow, especially if flash is removed. I got a nickel says his oil temps stay just fine. I may pad the odds with a Tech-Line coating of the crown, chamber and intake & exhaust ports, though. Billet jug will give a safer margin with the 69mm slug. You saw the broke-in-half 70mm mess I made. lol Not enough sleeve support fir ring seal at revs, possibly. I'll check some local aluminum scrap sources. Ranuka said aboot $250, finless, for a jug. Maybe the stock could be sourced there. Checking on order today, any way.

Kick gears are gonna appreciate a BBR/Kitaco decomp cam, even if the wallet don't.
I have little doubt you could fab a cable-operated exhaust valve lifter, or a pop-off as well.

exactly what I wanted to hear. thanks man! like krazed mentioned, how are you going to cool the situation? a shroud and duct? or will there be enough terbulance around the cylinder? you could cut all the fins off, then machine the surfaces of the cylinder, and make your own heatsinks then mount them too the cylinder.

i thought about doing my own cylinder for this build but decided for the first go around i'm going to keep it fairly simple test it see how everything works then do my own cylinder w/ fins running the proper direction. but as gdfp mentioned above w/ the takegawa high vol oil pump plus i plan on running the takegawa clutch system which is suppose to give it i think 30% more flow on top of the oil pump i don't think i'll have a problem keeping her cool but.... just in case poor mans oil cooler ;-)

cr85009.jpg
ford exploder (explorer) power steering cooler modded and fabbed for a oil cooler.

Chad, be sure to ask if the extra 3cc on the quad got AMA approval, and if they have a tracking number for the Retro bikes;)

I'm just jealous of your ability to take a seed of an idea, and put the hard work in to growing it to fruition. Hats off, Sir:)

Pretty sure the cooling won't be an issue. Chinese 125-140-150 have the jug fins pointed the "wrong" way, and seem fine. Also, having the head oriented this way puts the cast-in cooling tunnels in direct air flow, especially if flash is removed. I got a nickel says his oil temps stay just fine. I may pad the odds with a Tech-Line coating of the crown, chamber and intake & exhaust ports, though. Billet jug will give a safer margin with the 69mm slug. You saw the broke-in-half 70mm mess I made. lol Not enough sleeve support fir ring seal at revs, possibly. I'll check some local aluminum scrap sources. Ranuka said aboot $250, finless, for a jug. Maybe the stock could be sourced there. Checking on order today, any way.

Kick gears are gonna appreciate a BBR/Kitaco decomp cam, even if the wallet don't.
I have little doubt you could fab a cable-operated exhaust valve lifter, or a pop-off as well.

thanks terry. thats why i like posting my stuff on forums everyone has their own lil twist on things. im not all that creative, but what i lack in creativity i make up with putting in the work when someone like yourself puts the bug in my ear :) and not to mention its a nice lil ego boost when things come together nicely..lol

i have debated throwing some coating to her. but i think for now i'm going to wait til i see how it runs. when i did the porting on that 4 valve head i kept it fairly mild i could get alot more aggressive w/ the bowl on it. and the piston i'm about 90% sure that bore will be short lived. if i would have to guess a time frame i would say after to first drag race day against johns and doms monster motors. after they thump my ass i'm going to be fired up and wanna rip it apart and go bigger.

i have been doing a pretty good lying to myself saying it will be ok w/o a decomp but lol you in my ear is starting to get to me. correct me if i'm wrong i have not had one of the bbr decomps in hand so i'm not 100% sure. but dont it engage using a special klx cam gear? if thats the case its not going to work for me cause i'm going to run the xr cam sprocket.

let me know on your aluminum sources if this motor don't come unglued i'm going i want to a fancy billet jug. the places i have sourced have ball parked in the 600-800 dollars range.

So that IS a CRF150R frame ? ...

yes sir it is. my buddy picked up a conversion bike that was done with the cr85 chassis. it looked like alot of fun to build so i did one for my younger brother. after getting my lil bros and buddies buttoned up i got to test ride both of them and fail in love w/ how they handled so i sold my reeg 70 and picked up a 07 cr85. as i started cutting and prepping the frame to hold the xr motor it dawned on me the crf150r is similar to the cr frame size and being its a four stroke is should have more room for the motor and the gas tank should be smaller so it also should give it more room. so i ebayed pretty much a complete 150r minus motor which in hin sight was stupid on my part i could of bought a off the show room 150r cheaper and then sold the motor and been at half the price of what i have in parts off ebay. once i had the frame in my hands right away i could tell it was going to be a roomier fit and less fabbing than the cr chassis.

here is the one i did for my lil bro. as you can see it was almost completed he just needed to get a matching seat cover some graphics some nicer bars and levers. but about this time he seen the motor i was coming up w/ for my build and he just had to have it and since i designed this frame to hold the xr top the motor i'm doing wont fit so he sold it and as of now trying his hand at building his own conversion mini and mutant motor.

tonysbike001.jpg

tonysbike002.jpg

tonysbike004.jpg

tonysbike006.jpg

tonysbike007.jpg

tonysbike010.jpg

tonysbike011.jpg

]

Latest posts

Back