Xr/klx mutant motor

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after all nice days we been having i decided it was time to get back after the mutant. would of got the motor completed tonight but ran into a uh oh. i was cutting notches in the piston went off the specs of the uncut piston and perfed it :-( oh well dumb mistake on my part. should have a new piston by wednesday if all goes right. then i can cut it down assemble it. then all is needed is i need to do a custom line to feed oil to the head and finish the backing plate. since i ran into the snag with the piston i start dry fitting everything on the frame to weld some tabs for the oil cooler and started prep work to make the cooler. with any luck it should be ready to go to p/c by end of week. fingers crossed.

gettingcloser005.jpg

gettingcloser004.jpg

is the engine running yet. really keen to see it

not yet ran into a hang up with the crank it pissed me off so i tossed it aside for a while and was working on a really big valved stock 80 head 31/25 setup. now that the rain has stopped i got the bug again so i started working on it tonight.

can't wait to see this thing finished. will be interesting to see how it goes in terms of reliability - not that I'm doubting your mechanical ability in anyway. You are a god in my opinion. They should erect a statue with your name on it.

thank you. i am also curious to see how well it stands the test of time. on paper it all looks good lol but that paper sometimes likes to lie to me.

well the mutant motor is done just need to get some lines made to fed the head and cooler relocate the rear brake pedal and i can send stuff out to powder.
cooler001.jpg

cooler003.jpg
not bad for being a used junk yard ford explorer power steering cooler and alum. stock ;-)
cooler006.jpg

cooler008.jpg

cooler009.jpg

cooler012.jpg

cooler014.jpg

cooler016.jpg

chadsfinishedcooler431.jpg

chadsfinishedcooler433.jpg

chadsfinishedcooler435.jpg

chadsfinishedcooler437.jpg

finally parts from p/c are done! i think piston should be in tomorrow. now its just a matter of getting some time to pi$$ with it

pcframe036.jpg

pcframe040.jpg

pcframe047.jpg

pcframe048.jpg

He's shaped like a pumpkin, so looking like one is the obvious choice:)

Looks great, Chad! Wiseco should be there, along with crank, 63mm. Still dunno aboot that 125cc combo. They spin 'em pretty tight.

He's shaped like a pumpkin, so looking like one is the obvious choice:)

Looks great, Chad! Wiseco should be there, along with crank, 63mm. Still dunno aboot that 125cc combo. They spin 'em pretty tight.

Lol figure if o can't outside guys ill just scare them.

Got the Pistons def liking this wiesco. Lol you worry to much. Iagree I have my doubts about going that big and having a good head gasket seal but if I don't try how else will I know foure or not if it will. Worst case scenario it comes unglued becomes a paper weight. No biggie he will be using it for non point races now if he was using it in his point races I wouldn't be so risky ;-) I figured they wind them fight whole reason behind the big piston less stroke

one step closer to being done ;-)
dc134.jpg

dc136.jpg

dc139.jpg

well im pretty certain i figured my problems out with my motors. its not idea but it will work. after fighting with a number of timing chain lengths and different sprockets between the 55mm and 57mm stroke. i have found that with use with a 94mm rod (94.5 or 95mm would of been better) klx timing chain and yx timing chain gears ill be left with a deck of about .060th and proper timing chain slack. didnt realize i had a 94 rod for the 25mm pin so i spent most of my night milling the yx rod cause its 2mm to wide. i was damn near finished and my ol' man stopped by to give me hell like usual and asked whats wrong with this rod? i thought for sure it was a stock 80 rod so i tell him its wrong. after a good deal of bickering back and forth i mic-ed it in what i thought was going to prove him wrong but in reality was like chit this focking thing is exactly what i need. so after that i was pretty pissed cause i spent 3 hours up to that point milling a couple ths at a time since i dont have a diamond surfacer. tomorrow ill get back after it again with anyluck ill get the crank together and trued with the shorter rod, yx crank timing chain gear narrowed cause its wider than the xr and valve pockets cut. if i dont run into anymore headaches i may be able to give her another crack at firing her up sometime this week ;-)

i think those dogs will hunt terry. i didnt press this crank back apart yet to rod swap took that ol scrapped 57 that has a 97 rod on it and stuffed it in there. cut .025th for squish....ya ya i know thats to tight well guess what i dont care lol. its going to melt down either way lil better odds leaving it in the hands of the motor than at mine. cause cutting any more would make me nervous and if i have to fight any more with chains and gears ill dump gas on it and set it a flames or just cut the 25th out and pray the racing gods feel generous.
66piston005.jpg

Yeah, I figured the 97 would get it done. Glad you came in off the ledge to try it.

But .025?,,,, Igor, we've had this talk. We're merely mad scientists, not crazy people, no matter what the villagers say. There are certain un-bendable rules of nature. If you had a straight, welded pin and a Vesrah rod, I'd say it's enough, but 7K is where I'm placing my marker. Hook up the tach, listen for the tick. :blah:

Yeah, I figured the 97 would get it done. Glad you came in off the ledge to try it.

But .025?,,,, Igor, we've had this talk. We're merely mad scientists, not crazy people, no matter what the villagers say. There are certain un-bendable rules of nature. If you had a straight, welded pin and a Vesrah rod, I'd say it's enough, but 7K is where I'm placing my marker. Hook up the tach, listen for the tick. :blah:

lol me to i was getting a nose bleed out on that ledge.

sure y not .025th in the hole head gasets .015-.016th thats a solid .040th ;-) lol dont you put that 7k bad jew jew on me.

lol me to i was getting a nose bleed out on that ledge.

sure y not .025th in the hole head gasets .015-.016th thats a solid .040th ;-) lol dont you put that 7k bad jew jew on me.

That's a bit better, even if you're giving that gasket .006 more credit than due;)
If you can get a legit, torqued-down .040, I imagine it'll be fine till you run out of dirt-drag-strip:p

That's a bit better, even if you're giving that gasket .006 more credit than due;)
If you can get a legit, torqued-down .040, I imagine it'll be fine till you run out of dirt-drag-strip:p

the ones i have sitting here that have been ran are between 13-16ths. so for gp's lets say its .010th as bad as i didnt want to i gave myself about .035th deck. so i will have a total of .040-.045th happy master...lol

cut66mmpiston001.jpg

cut66mmpiston004.jpg

cut66mmpiston005.jpg

Alright, you're headed to the safe zone:) So, you bought a CNC-drive, got REAL good with the knobs, or plopped your piston vice on the rotary table? lol

Alright, you're headed to the safe zone:) So, you bought a CNC-drive, got REAL good with the knobs, or plopped your piston vice on the rotary table? lol

Lol piston vice on the rotary table. Been dying to take the new rotary table for a test drive but until this had nothing. I needed it for.

Latest posts

Back