YZ85 Mini Motard Help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zxtimmy

Reaction score
G'day,

First time posting up on this forum but done a bit of reading around the place. I'm helping the gf get her 2010 yz85 up and running as a mini motard for a bit of fun and to come along riding at our minimoto events (I race minimoto - we have another minitard, and also ride with full size tards). It's not going to be anything serious, the bike will be 90% of the time be used on dirt - this is just to turn some laps around on some tarmac for some fun. But I could use some help...

Long story short she ordered some rims off DHZ, and the guy on the phone has told her the hubs that come on the rims will suit her YZ85 no problems... SO they landed and we went and got some pretty decent scooter tyres for them (Pilot Pure!). Now stupid me believing the guy on the phone knew what he was talking about...

End up taking the rims with the fresh tyres back to hers and went to go fit and one look at the stock hubs and straight away it was never going to happen. Not even close.

So now obviously I need to take the tyres off again, and figure something out with these rims and hubs.

A mate and a fellow member on here - ringo suggested to get a hold of some stock YZ85 hubs, and re-lace the rims to suit those and start again. Bit of a pain... and I'd need to find some YZ85 hubs and I've got no idea where to start. Is there another option?

So does anyone have any suggestions where to find some hubs and spoke kits so I can get this thing up and going? I'm trying to get this all sorted in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks!
Tim.

so why don't the rims fit??? width, spacing??

they run the same axle don't they!! and sprocket shouldn't be an issue!!

Bolt placement for the sprocket isn't even close. The rims will fit it's the hubs that are the issue.

so why don't the rims fit??? width, spacing??

they run the same axle don't they!! and sprocket shouldn't be an issue!!

do yz's have the same axle size as our pitty's?????

if so do you know of anyone fitting up like talon hubs to suit the yz's onto a pitty

as for fixing this one you should have just bought a cheap pitty and left the yz as a dirt bike would save time and cost not much more

Width between rear disc and sprocket is different.

What he need's is a junior racing 85 class who's just upgraded to big wheel and has small wheels for sale. Chop the old spokes out with bolt cutters and I'll lace the chinese rims up to the yz hubs!

do yz's have the same axle size as our pitty's?????

if so do you know of anyone fitting up like talon hubs to suit the yz's onto a pitty

as for fixing this one you should have just bought a cheap pitty and left the yz as a dirt bike would save time and cost not much more

well im not sure if they've upgraded the axle size over the last couple of years but yz80/85 rear brake setup goes straight on to most pitty's. the axle hole in the bracket is 15mm..
and iv never seen talon wheels on a pitty yet...

as for the problem here, buy a sprocket to suit the china rim and maybe a disk too..

do the spacing yourself and that should be it..

only thing i can see being a slight problem is getting the disk to line up with the caliper after lining the sprocket up..

but not many ppl in motard even need or use rear brakes, but it may be part of the rules that they require rear brakes...

to me this problem isnt a problem lol just requires a little thinking, cutting, spacing..

Cheers for the thoughts all.

To respond to a few of the comments;
Not interested in working with chinese 4t pit bikes. I'd rather have her ride on the YZ which we know is reliable, has a very strong engine (I've ridden it in the dirt and I was impressed for an 85), and I trust the Yamaha frame. The bit of work to get the road wheels onto that is a better option in my opinion.

Ringo is right too - the width is different between the disc/rotor - forgot to mention that.

As a bonus though I've found some hubs on ebay for a reasonable price! Just need to ensure the fitment hasn't changed between the years and I think we're set!

Just waiting on some hubs to turn up from the states and I can get cracking :)

Bit of an update. Hubs arrived, now fitted to the rims with rubber on them. Will be fitting everything up this weekend and taking it for its maiden tarmac ride!

Hope they go on easy for ya mate.
Get some pics and or video of it screaming around the track.

Cheers!

Hope so too! I don't expect to run into any other dramas, but I am a little unsure about chain vs rear tire clearance but hopefully that will be ok!

Looking forward to taking it for a spin. It's got a fantastic motor. It will be a huge amount of fun!

Success!!!

I hope you don't mind me posting Timmy!!

Wann20-5-12123.jpg

Wann20-5-1288.jpg

Wann20-5-1230.jpg

It's alive :) Nice work, looks like it'd be a fun little bike.

It is, I took it for a quick belt, man...... It is sooo much more peaky than my ktm power valve motor!!! No bottom end then POWWWWWWWW!!!!!! Doesn't matter for tarmac though just WOT it and hang on LOL.

Ended up lacing YZ hubs to the China rims and all good!!

yep i think we did well picking the KTM back in the day.

bike looks wicked. is zxtimmy going to be converted anytime soon?

The seed has definitely been planted, he's getting sick of setting up clutches and carbies... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I Can't remember the last time I had to set a carb or adjust a clutch these days!!

Race it, clean it, have a beer, race it, clean it, have a beer.... rinse and repeat!!:alc:

Mini moto wheels!

I am trying like heck to find or build a set of these wheels for my 02 yz85, any help would be greatly appreciated! Trying to build a minomoto on a budget but cant find any 12" wheel kits or anything that will pretty much ensure proper fitment. Thanks Lads!

Latest posts

Back