z160ho & tb184 v2 reliability?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crf50 2008

Reaction score
How reliable are the z160 ho's
and hows the reliability compare or change when adding the tb184 kit, v2 head and bigger carb?

Last edited:
When you put the V2 on you put extra pressure on the kick starter gears. Clutch and gear box but if tuned properly you will get a good reliable combo.
With the 184 kit in my opinion you put to much strain on the engine and the gear box,clutch and kick starter gears cant handle it.

When you put the V2 on you put extra pressure on the kick starter gears. Clutch and gear box but if tuned properly you will get a good reliable combo.
With the 184 kit in my opinion you put to much strain on the engine and the gear box,clutch and kick starter gears cant handle it.

That's why you get a decomp kit when you do the rest. Will save the kick start gears if started correctly.

If you look over the gdfp newset post youll see that with the right maintence it will hold up ok . I would get a link but im on my phone sorry

If you look over the gdfp newset post youll see that with the right maintence it will hold up ok . I would get a link but im on my phone sorry

gdfp appears to be a very switched on mechanic and im sure he could make anything run right but for the average person im just stating the obvious. With a 184 kit 2nd gear will get smashed to pieces in no time.

It's like any motor , take it to the max and expect more maintenance , or leave it bee and expect short life span ,

pretty simple really

like snitchy said..

add more power and ya cant expect every other stock item to hold up forever...
add a decomp, upgrade the clutch with better rubbers, plates and springs then fine tune the spacing on the gearbox..

power & RELIABILITY doesnt come cheap..

so whats the most common set up for the average person in australia that are racing?
just standard, or standard with 26 oko, or standard with v2 head and oko,s35 etc or something else?????

Last edited:
all the leaders in the import and 12' classes usually run the tb 64mm bore kit with v2 head and a carb like an oko26/28 or pe28, but theres a whole lot more combo's out there.

comes down to money and how dedicated you are at getting in front..

but also just remember that power can be evil if you can't use it..

If the trans breaks with a 184, it was gonna with a 155. Decent setup(or lucky enough to have a good one), and not stomping the shifter like it was a scorpion usually lets them live quite a while. The ridiculous kicker gear train, specifically the POS design of the small gear that wobbles around in the clutch basket, now those are a replace often part. A Tak decomp cam, and not flailing away at the kicker even lets them hold up decent. You also need to remember that the engines cost importer $300 or so, and not to expect miracles.

how many hours would be excpected out of a well looked after 184 before you would pull it down? before detination

how many hours would be excpected out of a well looked after 184 before you would pull it down? before detination

With a good air filter, serviced regularly, you'll get 20+ hours of hard riding. Get a decent compression tester, and pull the top as soon as you lose 10-15PSI. New rings usually will bring it up. Measure piston skirt clearance and swap the piston if the clearance exceeds .05mm, providing the jug isn't hurt. The plating is hard as woodpecker lips and will usually survive a couple fresh pistons. Floating the valves will wipe out the seating face of the intake valve. If the lash gets tighter after initial run-in, you'll need a valve. Tak rockers are half as heavy and let the valves live longer. Stiffer springs, too, from Tak +R head. Use the midrange and try not to over-rev it any way.

Latest posts

Back