250 two stroke vs 450 four stroke

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got a feeling that most people havent ridden a good healthy 250f/450f, but then again it does depend on the rider...

its not so much the power that makes a 2 stroke a hoot to ride its more the way the power is delivered

2 stroke all they way!!!!
nothing beats the feeling you get when you ride a big bore 2 stroke, it cant be described it can only be experienced.................. by those who dare to of course

have you ever riden a 450 ?

the 450 just gives unbeleivable power to the ground . why does it matter how much power you have anyway? not even the top riders can use a 450 to their true potential power wise.

on most motorcross and supercross tracks the most you will ever need is a 350

80% of comments in this thread are based on " my mates uncle rides a 250" and whatever your favourite rider straddles. I have had this argument before and its clear that people who are too ignorant to understand the facts dont even want to succeed. because hey..... the guys racing 4 strokes in the world championships are stuck in the past arent they???

BTW cactus jack, even though you are correct, no one even thinks of it like that.

yeah in theory it works out like that but thats not always the case in reality..

go ride one of the first 250f mx bikes and then go ride a brand new one..
completely different power delivery (top, middle and bottom).. same goes for the 450f's..

2 strokes havent really changed except maybe where there power is made.

then comes all the internal/external mods you can do.. which is where the loss (if any) in power is made up.

this debate will go on forever and really there is no winner.

I seriously enjoy riding 2 strokes but the power delivery of a 4 stroke is unbelivable.........but hey i started on 2 strokes so i will allways have a heart for them!

Having watched the evolution of the thumpy's, from C&J XL350's, TT500's with a White Bros arm, a PAIR of Fox Shox and some YZ forks, in to the modern marvels, I can see where an alteration to the rules makes some sense. A dinger, at certain RPM's is supercharged to a small degree. So is a 4S. More than 100% VE is common at torque peak. The port size and shape, B&S ratios, valve area, cam design, all have come a LONG ways with the intro of the YZ400F and those that have followed. ALL forms of racing have handicapping systems in place, attempting to create parity/penalizing the upper-hand depending on the side of the coin wedged in ones nickers. Review Pro-Stock drag bike rules changes in the last decade. Used to be 4V vs 2V, with 2V getting a big CC advantage. Then Harley Ferguson got to run HUGE engines. Steadily, as their potential increased, they got weight added and displacement removed. Happens.

Honda spent millions of 1980's dollars to make their oval-pistoned NR get it's arse handed to it by the filthy 2S 500's From Yam and Suzuki. Now, the top class 4S roadrace bikes make so much power that only a couple people in the world are faster on them in tune versus having a plug wire pulled.

Power is coming closer. 4S turns more revs than 2S, almost always, comparing race machines of similar size, and 2S are losing a fair share of their charge at most revs, negating the twice as much air argument. Delivery has been the advantage of the 4S, but much has to do with displacement. I loved the KTM 360/380 bikes and felt they were closer to my 620 than about any other dinger. I had a bunch of Open 2S's over the years, and went faster at the end of a race on a 250, but loved the lead a big one gave early on.

I personally think that completely excluding the environmental impact difference (impossible, but a "what-if") that the modern 4S purebred racers are awful for the sport, on local levels. They cost WAY more to maintain than a 2S, and this cripples the privateers who can't have a barrel full of scrapped heads, $80-100 each valves, 7-hour pistons.

I don't think any of that was aimed at the argument posed, but I'm hopped up on coffee and haven't had my meds:b_grind:

XR75's forever!

Haha yer i will never buy a modern 4stroke happy with my TT250 1985 model i got now powerful and more reliable than anything they make today and just cos you have a brand new 250f or 450 doesnt make you a good rider just makes you look like douch and very embarising when a 20 year old bike beats you on the trail

I rebuild a lot more 4S top ends than I solder ends back on their throttle cables. lol

Well that's good for you ... You're makin' a coin out of it ...

Lmao. Serious much? It's all personal preference. And who really cares what performs better on paper?

Well that's good for you ... You're makin' a coin out of it ...

Sad though for the kids who get suckered in to thinking they need a 250F, it breaks, and they can't afford to ride. Truth told, they'd go faster, longer, cheaper on an '87 CR.

Haha yer i will never buy a modern 4stroke happy with my TT250 1985 model i got now powerful and more reliable than anything they make today and just cos you have a brand new 250f or 450 doesnt make you a good rider just makes you look like douch and very embarising when a 20 year old bike beats you on the trail

same deal with my Yamaha IT200 and 490, yes they are old but they are more reliable than most of the bikes i see out on the trails and tracks.
had a wr450 for a while also but the rebuilds were just to expensive for me to justify keeping it. dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with liking four strokes,

Lmao. Serious much? It's all personal preference. And who really cares what performs better on paper?

No wonder you keep gettin' nominated for Idiot of the Month !!!! ...

Latest posts

Back