Bike CHOICE

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k3pdmn

Reaction score
heyy im buying a new bike in about 1-2 months and i have the choice between a yz-250 stroke suzuki rm-250 2 stroke and ktm-sx 250 2 stroke...the things im after is power and reliability...im about 180cm mabe taller....but i also have the choice of getting a proper road bike and if i were to choose that path i would proberbly get a r1 or some thing....whats ur opinion??

hi,
theres not much difference in power of the 2 strokes you mentioned. there all pretty equal...providing there ages is similar
but if your buying secondhand then be very fussy with what your looking at...

and as for the R1 if that is also secondhand then be vary careful. these bikes are well know for people doing stunts on and lots of wheel standing.....wheel standing on a standard R1 or any road bike for that matter is a big no no..
when their wheel standing the oil in the bottom end runs to the back of the engine and tends to let the oil pump run dry....hmm yeah not good...
i have seen blown up gearboxs and complete dead engines as a result of this type of riding.

there are kits available to extend the oil pickup to rectify these problems.

and remember a secondhand bike will only be as good as the owner keeps it.
so when looking at bikes take note of what else they own and how good it has been maintained..

lol, call me silly but i have a tendency to buy not running bikes or bikes with engine faults over running bikes..because regardless of what the owner tells you, you have to pull it apart anyways to fix it. so you can never really buy a lemon...

haha thanks 4 the help bro, i will try and get a good 1 i will proberbly be buy the road bike second hand and the dirt bike new...the issue i have with the r1 it weighs 170kg and im also 15 ;) and im moving from a 125cc 4 stroke let me remind u...soo now what are ur opinions?

lol;) if i were to get a road bike what would you suggest i get 2nd hand under 10 grand?

if your 15, i wouldnt be suggesting any road bike. and definitly not an r1..
no offence to you as im not sure of your riding capabilities.
its just that an r1 is way to powerfull fo any1 that age...sht i recon an r1 would scare the pants off me too

besides that road bikes arent really my flavour....

lol yehh figured.

what about the 250cc road bikes?? are they quick?

yeah there pretty quick, my mate had 1 and he was a novice road bike guy. and he said the power gets boring easy..
but yeah a 250 is going to be about it for legal reasons....
what sort of riding experience do you have?

more to the point, why are you looking at getting a road bike if you are 15? you will not be able to ride it anywhere legally, and if you reckon you're getting an R1 at 15, unless you race on bitumen competitively, i'd say you may be a little full of shit... regardless of your height, a 15 year old on an R1 is probably going to be a dead 15 yr old on an R1 pretty quickly... and as you mentioned, you're moving up from a 125cc fourstroke.... so the squillion horsepower step up to an R1 is probably going to increase your pucker factor by a fair bit... more to the point, where the hell does a 15 yr old get a lazy 10-15K to buy an R1 anyway, unless they move "recreational" drugs around a bit????
At the end of the day, you arent legal to ride a road bike on anything less than closed course tracks... and if all you've ridden is a 125cc fourstroke pit bike, then an R1 is probably going to kill you before you hit the end of the driveway... which will be the limit of the area in which you can legally ride it anyway... Regardless of the state you live in, you will not be legally licensed to ride an R1 until you are AT LEAST 19 and on a full license...
So you will have an R1 sitting in the shed for 4 years until you can ride it...
I've come to the conclusion sir, that either you are rather inexperienced, in which case fair enough, and suggest that you buy something like a 250cc trailbike to ride on closed (read PRIVATE PROPERTY) tracks until you are legal to ride on the roads, or B: you are entirely full of shit.... ;)
Which one, will depend on your reply...

I was waiting for some one to flame him, well done thump!! hope we dont have another MV24 :S, people need to wake up to the selves, mate im 16 and ride a 250f!!! and wouldn't dare hop on a r1, coming from a 125 four stroke, and unless you have had experience on other big bikes, i say bee very careful on your r1 (that your gunna get) hahaha. my mate races road bikes, hes same age as me but being ranked verry high in motor cross and your dad owning the local Kawasaki helps,http://www.mqld.org.au/fileadmin/user_upload/state_files/qld/Documents/2008HonorRoll.pdf (luke burgess) and to do soo is verry expensive. not juding you, but you ound full of crap. but who knows we may be wrong!!.

more to the point, why are you looking at getting a road bike if you are 15? you will not be able to ride it anywhere legally, and if you reckon you're getting an R1 at 15, unless you race on bitumen competitively, i'd say you may be a little full of shit... regardless of your height, a 15 year old on an R1 is probably going to be a dead 15 yr old on an R1 pretty quickly... and as you mentioned, you're moving up from a 125cc fourstroke.... so the squillion horsepower step up to an R1 is probably going to increase your pucker factor by a fair bit... more to the point, where the hell does a 15 yr old get a lazy 10-15K to buy an R1 anyway, unless they move "recreational" drugs around a bit????
At the end of the day, you arent legal to ride a road bike on anything less than closed course tracks... and if all you've ridden is a 125cc fourstroke pit bike, then an R1 is probably going to kill you before you hit the end of the driveway... which will be the limit of the area in which you can legally ride it anyway... Regardless of the state you live in, you will not be legally licensed to ride an R1 until you are AT LEAST 19 and on a full license...
So you will have an R1 sitting in the shed for 4 years until you can ride it...
I've come to the conclusion sir, that either you are rather inexperienced, in which case fair enough, and suggest that you buy something like a 250cc trailbike to ride on closed (read PRIVATE PROPERTY) tracks until you are legal to ride on the roads, or B: you are entirely full of shit.... ;)
Which one, will depend on your reply...

this is probably pointless, but i couldnt have worded that better myself

lol, i was waiting too but didnt want to be the one calling him out as i know some pretty talented kids...

one of my friends kids who is about 12-13 races flat track, we take him out riding occasionally with us out in the forestry... he askes all the time...can i have a ride of your bike...and i say if you can start it you can ride it..he's all of about 4 foot nothing and wheel stands my wr450 better than me..
it looks so funny cause between doing sit down wheel stands and stand up his ass only leaves the seat a couple of inches if that...

lol and he uses a tree to start off and a tree to stop.... its quite entertaining....

but if i didnt think he could physically ride it theres now way in hell id let him...
hmmm kids of that age just have no fear....

^^^ i agree entirely with you sean, my lil ex bro in law used to pinch his dads 426 anytime he could from the age of 11 onwards... could barely reach the pegs, but could start it using a stand, and once he was up and rolling, he was away... however a 426 on private property, when he was merely stepping up from a 125 mxer, is a tad different than a 125cc thumper pit bike and stepping up ILLEGALLY to riding an R1 on the road...
unless this kid a week away from turning 16 and getting his L's, which even then, limits him to either a 250cc roadie, or depending on which state he's in, up to a 660 cc bike, limited to 33kw... (new LAMS licensing for noob roadies...)

What the fuck has this got to do with a minibike review? I always thought it was rather simple that the review section is only for what it states in the title, Reviewing bikes. Some people must be a bit slow or they just dont understand what a review is.
I think its time we set it up so that all reviews have to be moderated by us before they can be posted in here. Im sick of cleaning up after all the people who cant work out what section to post in coz I dont think its asking too much to post in the correct section.

From now on if anyone posts a thread in this section that is not reviewing anything then it will be deleted instead of being moved to the correct section.

Since Thump* put some effort in replying to this I wont delete it and I may even move it for the last time.

oh crap, sorry mate, i paid no heed as to which section it was in, i just replied as they came up down the left side of the page with new posts... my bad, i'll move it to general... as you said, there is no review here, and an R1 is not a minibike... well, it would make for an interesting concept bike, but last i checked, an R1 was for wheelies, running drugs, and making brown stains on red camo Draggin jeans..

No worries Thump*, I usually dont realise either untill I click on the review section and see half the threads in there are not reviewing anything. Im not sure how many I moved on the last review clean up but it was too many.

yehh people these days not posting in the right sections:D sorry boyz accdent

and the reason i mentioned the r1 was it was the first thing that poped in my head...and price range was i can buy a rm 250 for about 8grand new and i can buy a second hand road bike for the same price...so im not full of shit u pumpkin...

and i think i may have places to ride the 250 and i think if 1 do end up getting 1 i will proberly buy the cbr 250rr sounds good 2;)

yer mate you still didnt answer all of hes questions

where the f@rk does someone of your age get a simple 8 grand from ay?

and are you stepping up from a thumpstar?

Last edited:
man why the hec do you want to ride a road bike, when you can only do it on privet property, just me but i would rather a dirt bike!.

Im not sure about most people here. But I would be pretty safe to assume that most people went from a MX or road bike DOWN to a pitbike. Sure going from a pitty to a 250 is a pretty safe bet, but going onto a R1... Its just ridiculous.

Im 16 (17 in november) and I learned on a yamaha 230 when i was about 14. Then stepped up to a yamaha 250 which I rode around while I had my bike Ls. I have recently passed my bike Ps test. I also have a 2001 WR400F which is my current bike. I honestly would never get onto a road bike above 600cc at the MOST. Until I have my full license (1 years time) and by then I will be much more experienced. When your talking about riding bikes on road they are no longer toys. There have been many deaths and lifelong injuries from people on high powered road bikes. Heck, a taxi driver ran over a guy on his bike the other day right infront of my house, he was just minding his own business and he was also wearing full leathers, but after being trapped under the taxi he was seriously injured and was carted away in an ambulance.

Perhaps a little off topic now, lol, but im basically saying, if you can ride a 125 pit bike does not mean you can ride high powered road bikes without consequence.

Latest posts

Back